Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Anyone stayed at Sheraton Grand Hotel Edinburgh? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/anyone-stayed-at-sheraton-grand-hotel-edinburgh-206550/)

LS Nov 11th, 2001 10:13 AM

Anyone stayed at Sheraton Grand Hotel Edinburgh?

We're having a great deal of difficulty finding New Years Eve accomodations in Edinburgh. The only thing available is the Grand Sheraton Edinburgh. Has anyone stayed there? It never seems to get mentioned in this forum, so I'm concerned that it's not a desirable hotel. What has your experience been there? Thanks for your help.

Anne Nov 11th, 2001 11:12 AM

My family of 4 stayed at the Sheraton 4 years ago. It was a typical American type Sheraton. The location is very good -- our room faced Edinburgh Castle which was a short walk. The hotel is one block above Princess Street. It's probably not mentioned here because it certainly doesn't have the charm of other true Scottish hotels....

Gregory Nov 11th, 2001 11:51 AM

The Sheraton is one block South of the Western end of Princes Street. One of my work colleagues has bee to both tohe spa at the Sheraton and the Caledonian Hilton and said that the Sheraton's Spa is far superior to the Hilton. <BR>( I do not know about the rest of the hotel but the location is excellent)

LS Nov 11th, 2001 12:14 PM

Thanks for your info. on the Grand Sheraton. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find accomodations for New Year's eve for 7 people in Edinburgh within walking distance of Princes Street? Almost every place I've checked into are booked, but I'm open to suggestions.

Rhonda Nov 11th, 2001 12:45 PM

LS<BR><BR>Not wishing to dampen your spirits but you might be aiming a little high given that it is only seven weeks or so till Hogmanay (New Year). Maybe you'll have to compromise on the location or something because a lot of people would want exactly what you're looking for.<BR><BR>What I have noticed in the last few years that we've been here...a lot of the big hotels (which are all the ones located close to the centre of town) seem to offer "expensive" packages prior to the event and as time draws nearer and no-one books the packages (I think they have a minimum of a few nights over that period) the package deals drop in price. At least I saw this happen last year and it was reported in "The Scotsman" that some of the hotels who had ridiculously expensive packages were forced to drop their prices in order to fill the rooms. Obviously this would be a the last minute though.<BR><BR>In today's paper there is a New Year Celebrations deal at the Roxburghe Hotel(listed as 4 star deluxe) in Charlotte Square, 2 nights for ?325 per person including Gala Ball. This kind of thing seems typical..last year the Sheraton, Balmoral and all those big places seemed to do something similar. There is also a review on "The Howard" in Great King Street (New Town Area 1800's about 10-15 min walk). They give a web site of www.luxuryhotelsuk.com These may be more expensive that what you were hoping to pay but I'm assuming that the room you were considering at the Sheraton wouldn't have been cheap either. One other thought...there is a nice eating place in town called "Ricks" and I know they have a boutique hotel attached (not a big place) located in Frederick Street-again about 10 minutes walk (if that) to Princes Street. Only fairly new and apparently quite nice...might we worth a try.<BR>Rhonda

Rhonda Nov 11th, 2001 12:47 PM

Sorry that was ?325 (pounds) just in case ? comes out as a ? again (tricky..or is it just my typing?)

Tony Nov 11th, 2001 01:07 PM

The Sheraton Grand Hotel is a relatively new hotel in Edinburgh. It is a nice hotel with all the amenities that one would expect from a first class hotel. To really enjoy your room, make sure you get one with a view of the castle. The hotel is easy walking distance to Princess Street. Just down the street is the Caldonia Hilton. This is another luxury hotel that has been in Edinburgh since the 1800s. It is quite an interesting place to stay. The Caldonia is right on Princess Street.

Gregory Nov 11th, 2001 01:28 PM

Tony,<BR><BR>It's the Caledonian Hilton (Typo)

Jenny Nov 13th, 2001 02:28 AM

Hi,<BR><BR>It's also worth trying some of the smaller B&B type places - try http://www.edinburgh.org/accommodation/<BR><BR>A lot of the B&Bs are on the South side of town (Mayfield Rd, Minto St) which are probably about 20 mins walk from Princes St., and are worth considering - it is quite a studently area, so pretty busy walking back, so you don't really need to worry about being off the beaten track too much.<BR><BR>Give me a shout on hotmail if there's anything more specific you need to know - I live in Edinburgh.<BR><BR>Jenny

Jenny Nov 14th, 2001 01:03 AM

Anyone else still looking for Edinburgh Hogmany accomodation - I've found some places which have spaces - try http://www.go- fly.com/templates/ThirdPartyItem/ThirdPartyItemFrame.jsp?tex t_id=HotelsPage&language=EN<BR>