Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed at II Falconiere, Cortona, Tuscany?

Oct 2nd, 1999, 06:47 PM
Carol

My husband and I will be staying at the IIFalconiere in Cortona for 3 nights, the end of this month. We take a train to Siena from Rome, then pick up a rental car. Does anyone know how long of a drive to Cortona from Sienna? Any suggests of day trips from Cortona would be appreciated. I noticed one earlier posting, that IIFalconiere is located "too far east". Oh well, reservations already made! Your comments, please.

Oct 2nd, 1999, 07:17 PM
Sandy

Hi Carol,
My husband and I were at Il Falconiere for 2 nights in June. It is a good 3-hour drive from Siena, and the road, which is not the autostrada, has quite a lot of traffic since it is the major west-to-east artery in that part of Italy.

Il Falconiere is a beautiful place, with gorgeous flowers and a fantastic infinity pool overlooking the valley. Our room was in the main building on the third floor, and the view was simply amazing. I loved the decor. However, the service was terrible. The restaurant is not as good as it thinks it is, and they require the men to wear jackets and ties! We had one so-so very expensive meal at Il Falconiere, and ate in Cortona the other night.

Cortona is magical. You park outside the walls and walk in. Wear good shoes for walking up and down the cobblestone streets. There are some nice shops and inexpensive trattorias in town. A wonderful day trip is to Lake Trasimeno. We went to Castiglione del Lago and loved it. There's a nice hotel in the main square that serves lunch on the terrace.

Have a wonderful trip. E-mail me if you want more information about the area. I was in Italy for three weeks this summer and went all over Tuscany and Umbria.

Sandy

Oct 3rd, 1999, 06:36 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Carol, Cortona is a wonderful village and my "too far east comment" was for
the locations mentioned in that post.
Not sure how fast you drive, but I see
Siena as no more than an hour drive---
perhaps 1.5 if you are slow. Other good
day trips should include Montepulciano
and Pienza one day and Assisi and Perugia another. If you like ceramics, try to include Deruta, just south of
Perugia, in your ititnerary. You will
have a great time--there are no bad locations in Tuscany/Umbiria--you just
have to adapt and enjoy.

Oct 3rd, 1999, 09:52 AM
elizabeth

We stayed in Cortona for a week in June 1998 and had a lovely lunch at Il Falconiere (albeit expensive, and by virtue of the nature of the establishment, i.e. a Relais et Chateaux - more "international" cuisine than strictly local Tuscan cuisine). A couple of other restaurant suggestions:

In Cortona we enjoyed "Preludio" (the risotto was excellent and we had the "beefsteak Florentine" - while we're not big steak eaters it was an interesting variation on what is a standard North American dish) and "La Grotta" (the "Asparagus Bismarck" was delicious - a deceptively simple dish of steamed asparagus with fried eggs on top) - both restaurants are right off the main square. For a day trip I would recommend "La Chiusa" in Montefollonico (Michelin One Star - I had the most amazing pasta with truffles, but be warned - it was $40!)

We loved Cortona. Each night we would walk into town and sit in one of the two squares and watch the world go by - for us it was just the right size - several interesting things to see yet small enough to get a feel for the town.

Hope you have a lovely holiday!

Oct 3rd, 1999, 11:36 AM
stephen k

we ate there 2 years ago. I agree, food is okay, not great. we stayed at locanda dell amarosa, close by. it was fabulous. try and eat there

Oct 7th, 1999, 06:57 PM
Carol

Thanks for your replies. We can hardly wait to get there! Our itinerary includes Rome, Siena, Cortona (with day trips from there) and Florence. We have a car only from Siena, and take the train in and out of there. I'm sure we'll love it as much as you have! Thanks again, and if you think of any other tips, pass them on...

Oct 8th, 1999, 06:04 AM
Beth

Hi Carol,
definitely a meal at Preludio, which is a short distance off the main square. It was very good. I thought Cortona was very pretty, but there is not much to see there (we spent only one afternoon, and it was enough). You are not too long a drive from Orvieto, one of my favorite hilltowns. Also Montepulciano and Pienza would be possible.

Arezzo is close, but I would skip it. My biggest disappointment was going to Arrezo to see the True Cross fresco cycle, and finding it almost completely covered for restoration.