Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed at Divani Caravel in Athens or Renaissance Polat in Turkey?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 03:04 PM
maggi

I've tried researching these two hotels in all the travel books and can't find mention of either. We will be staying at both as part of our cruise of the area and would like to be as prepared as possible. Any comments from fellow travelers would be much appreciated.

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 05:01 PM
Ruth

Hi Maggi, <BR> <BR>My husband and I have stayed twice at the Divani Caravel in Athens. It is in a very nice area of Athens away from downtown Plaka area. There is a great restaurant behind the hotel, that the locals go to. Try it, I'm sure you'll be pleased. <BR>

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 05:59 AM
kristi

We also stayed at the Divani Caravel before a cruise on Orient Lines and it was a very nice hotel, nicely located. <BR> <BR>The hotel we had in Turkey was even nicer, I believe it was the Crowne Holiday Inn near the airport but I imagine that the Renaissance will be nice if it is part of the Renaissance chain.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 12:19 PM
dbeck

we stayed at the divani caravel in Athens and it is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. It was great - the hamburgers we ordered from the pool were really good and its not so bad sitting at the pool ( pool is enclosed but you can sit outside on patio in sun) looking at the acropolis! Enjoy.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 02:14 PM
M & J

We stayed at the Istanbul Renaissance Polat the night before we flew back home. It is located within minutes of the airport and not at all near the city nor the main tourist sites (Blue Mosque, Cistern, etc). If you are using it as a base for Istanbul, you will have to depend upon taxis. And, what an experience that is---the daring drivers will expand a three lane into four or five lanes---kind of like a Six Flags ride. We suggest that if you plan to stay several days in Istanbul (we recommend you do), stay in the Sultanahmet area. Too bad this forum no longer posts emails, we would be glad to share ideas with you.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 04:20 PM
M & J

Maggi---we wanted to add to our above post that the Renaissance Polat is a luxury hotel, beautiful decor, great attentive staff. Even though it is only near the airport, taxis are inexpensive in Istanbul. We used them constantly.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 04:30 PM
topper

!

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 01:12 AM
Lindsay

I am currently working in ýstnabul, and can tell you that the Renaissance is a great hotel, and you should not have any complaints about the standards of service there. However, the hotel is close to 20 minutes from Sultanahmet. Due to the increasing inflation in Turkey, and the weakening of the Turkish Lira, a taxi from the Renaissance Hotel to Sultanahmet will cost around 6 500 000TL, or $US15, but as the Turkish Lira is so volatile and fluctuates almost twice a day, this estimate is not a defenate price, but it will give you an idea of what it will cost if you wish to do any sight seeing. Feel free to email me if you have any further questions. <BR> <BR>Lindsay

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 11:43 AM
maggi

Thanks, Lindsay. I will definitely be in touch.