Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone stay on the Baltic Sea in Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in finding out what the beaches are like here. Also, any suggestions for hotels to stay in.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:36 PM
hsv

CEDS,

after a gorgeous summer spent on the close by beaches of the Baltic Sea, I cannot but highly recommend them.

The German Coastline on the Baltic Sea is pretty long, though, and appearance of the beaches changes throughout the different towns and regions.

The Baltic Sea is a pretty quiet one, though, so in general you will find very good bathing/ swimming conditions.

As a rule, beaches in Schleswig Holstein (the Western part of the Baltic Coastline) are more "civilzed" than in the Eastern parts (Mecklenburg- Vorpommern). Decide, which you like better yourself. Throughout you are likely to find "Strandkoerbe", a German invention for providing shelter against sun, rain and wind, which you will be able to rent for approx. € 7.- a day or € 35.- a week.

As for hotels, in Schleswig Holstein the "Genueser Schiff" in Hohwacht gets good reviews. The beach there is only average to me. A good beach would be in Groemitz, and if you decide for only a daytrip from Hamburg Timmendorfer Starand is extremely popular (and crowded).
There is a vast choice of hotels in both towns, so if you will get a bit more specific, I will gladly provide further information.

In Mecklenburg Vorpommern, there are numerous lovely beaches including the ones in Boltenhagen (Hotel Grossherzog v. Mecklenburg), Kühlungsborn (2 Travel Charme Hotels, a regional brand), the Fischland/ Darss peninsula (Travel Charme Hotels and a Dorint) and further to the East on the Islands of Ruegen and Usedom.

Do post again, if I can help you any further!
Regards
hsv
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Hsv-Thank you so much for your reply. I will be honeymooning in Germany and The Netherlands next summer. I originally wanted to honeymoon in the Caribbean, but my father offered us plane tickets to Europe (we will be meeting family in Wiesbaden after the honeymoon). So I am now looking for a nice beach atmosphere to combine my want for beach as well as Europe.
If you could tell me your opinion of the calmest waters and most inviting beach I would appreciate it. Have you been to either of the islands? Is the water very cold? We are looking for a resort type setting. Not something very modern though. What do you mean by more "civilized"? Generally, how would you describe the weather during August in this part of Germany? Is it very warm by the water?
Also, if you have any suggestions for castle hotels in Germany, I would very much appreciate it Thanks again!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:29 PM
hsv

CEDS,

I am in a little rush, so just a few facts for the time being.

Weather in August should be nice- you won't have a "weather guarantee", though.
Nice in this case means temperatures somewhere between 20 to 30 degrees Celsius, i.e. low 70 to high 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Having been to both, I can tell you that it is definitely not like the Caribbean.
The advantage is that by the water you can usually get along very well even during hot days. This summer has been an unsually warm one here in Germany, but with people complaining about the heat almost everywhere else, it was just pleasant by the seaside.
Do bring a light pullover for the late eveneings even at that time of the year.
Water temperatures would be described by most people on the cool side- they should range somewhere between 17 and 22 degrees Celsius, i.e. somewhere in the 60ies Fahrenheit. Personally I love it, but maybe because being used to it, because a dip in the sea is really refreshing.
By describing beaches as civilized, I meant to indicate that they are more groomed for touristic purposes whereas tourism is still developing in the Eastern parts of Germany and chances are therefore better to find some more private beaches there.
I will try to assess your needs regarding a hotel and think of places I know and will let you know my suggestions as soon as possible.
Feel free to E- mail me at [email protected] if you have further questions.
Regards
hsv
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 12:42 AM

Also try, Sopot, Poland.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 02:05 AM

I've stayed in both Bansin and Herringsdorf on Usedom, close to Swinoujscie in Poland. These resorts were patronised by the kaiser and German aristocracy before the first world war and have very elegant hotels and villas many of which have been restored since German reunification. Five of the resorts on Usedom have new piers and boats run to Poland. The beaches are of fine sand. The Baltic is not tidal, so the sea level is constant and the beaches are never covered by the sea.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:53 AM

I highly recommend Binz on the Ruegen Island. It is the most upscale Sea resort in Eastern Germany. Very elegant architecture of the past centuries. Fantastic sand beach and sea promenade. Good restaurants with excellent seafood and fine hotels along the sea front.

Good recommendations, hsv. Glad to hear from you.

Ingo
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank You!! I'll look into that resort. Anyone heard anything about or stayed at the Kempinski Grand Hotel in Heiligendamm? Called the White Town By The Sea.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 08:28 AM

The Kempinski Grand Hotel in Heiligendamm must be fantastic. I saw a report on TV. Pure luxury and old world charm.

But it is a very remote place. No village or town, just the hotel and some buildings around. The beach is also not as good as in Binz or Bansin or ...

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 01:49 PM
hsv

I hesitated to suggest Heiligendamm- been thinking about this for a while.

The reputation of course is excellent, take a look at www.kempinski.com.

However, I paid the resort a visit this summer and I am not (yet) convinced about its quality.

As Ingo pointed out, the place is rather remote- Bad Doberan and Kuehlungsbornb are close by, though, and Rostock and Warnemuende are only a short drive away (approx. 0.45 hrs), too.
However the trouble with this resort seems to me that an admittedly impressive resort town has been sold as a whole to the Investment Fund that did all the renovations and found the top class Kempinski chain as an operator for the hotel.
Now, after endless renovations, the main building of the hotel has opened, BUT: the rest of all the stately homes have not yet undergone renovation. So basically the guests of the hotel are staying in some sort of ghost town, where there is not yet anything else apart from the hotel's main building. And judging from the progress they have made so far, it is going to take them a while to renovate the other buildings. We will have to take another look at it then, but there appears to be a certain danger that as everything there will be under the same management, the "town" might become some ghetto of the rich- and I myself would not pay the high sticker prices currently that they are asking...

I agree with Ingo that Ruegen would probably fit your needs best- and there is also a very well acclaimed Kempinski resort (Bel Air) there. I have not been there, but other options like a Dorint hotel (www.dorint.com) might be o.k., too.
BTW: Cheers to you Ingo, excellent ideas, as always!
Another option might be Usedom, although to my knowledge there are not such big resort hotels, there. I have heard of a place called Hotel Palace, though, but cannot unfortunately refer to own experiences as I have not been there.

Finally, I would like to correct myself regarding the aforementioned Hotel Genueser Schiff in Hohwacht. Although they strive to cater to a very affluent clientele, the hotel in my opinion cannot compete at that level. I took a look at it over the weekend and talked to a friend who had stayed there two years ago and was not satisfied.

Enjoy your plannings- and good luck for the Netherlands
hsv
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 02:08 PM
hsv

CEDS,

reading my post again, I have probably not come across percisely:

What I meant to say is that the Kempinski in Heiligendamm is undoubtedly a very good hotel and will offer most certainly all the amenities you will want to find (and rightfully would expect at a price like that).
The ONLY downside about it is that it is still a bit artificial and remote- and that the price level is comparably high.
What this comes down to is basically this question:
What do you mean by resort?
Do you want to stay in a resort town by the beach or do you want to stay in a hotel resort (featuring spa amenities etc.).
Trouble is: There are numerous lovely resort towns along the Baltic coast, but only a handful of top resort hotels. The majority of hotels will be smaller and more intimate ones.
You might want to clarify your preferences!
Take care
hsv
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 10:28 PM
hsv

CEDS,

Regarding your question about castle hotels:

I do not know of too many in the area of the Baltic sea that are exactly somewhere by the coast.

There is however the Radisson resort in Fleesensee, which sports castle rooms (and some more in newer annexes) combined with all resort amenities (spa, golf courses...). This one is not seaside, but lakeside in the very pretty Mueritz area, a region dominated by one of Germany's biggest lakes (Mueritz) and surrounded by numerous other lakes. Take a look at www.radisson.com or www.fleesensee.de (only in German).
There is also Schlosshotel Klink in the Mueritz area, which is smaller and more intimate but also lakeside (with lake access) and sporting a pool. They also have rooms in modern annexes so you might want to make sure upon reservation that you will be accomodated in the old building. Try www.schlosshotel-klink.de.
Closer to Luebeck, there is Schlosshotel Luetgenhof in Dassow, which I cannot personally comment on, but which is said to have an ambitious restaurant. Try http://www.schloss-luetgenhof.de/index_engl.html.
And finally there is a webpage that contains other castle hotels in Mecklenburg- Vorpommern: http://www.schlosshotel-mv.de.
Please mind that all these "castle" hotels are more likely to be called "palace" hotels as they are not that old to be a castle- but still you might enjoy them.
Regards
hsv
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 12:08 AM

Exactly to the point, hsv!