Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone stay at Relais St.Jacques in Paris?Where do I take my preteen daughter shopping??!

Anyone stay at Relais St.Jacques in Paris?Where do I take my preteen daughter shopping??!

Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:57 PM
Nan

Got a good rate at Relais St.Jacques in 6th and investigated it on several different websites but do not know anyone who has stayed there. Anyone ever stay there? Also need advice on clothing stores for preteens, trendy, not frilly, and reasonably price. Thanks,
Nan

Aug 4th, 2001, 03:31 AM
topping

Great question, I'll be taking a teenage daughter too and wondered the same thing.

Aug 6th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Christina

The Relais St Jacques is not in the 6th, it's not even on the border; it's in the Latin Qtr, the 5th arr., a few blocks east of bd St-Michel. I've read good reviews and comments on it in many places, I know, and one negative somewhere -- well, there are hotel customer comments on www.paris.org/Hotels, www.hotelboulevard.com and digital.france.com I'm no expert in preteen kids but since no one else answered, there are youngish shops along bed St-Michel, as I recall, just walk south from bd St-Germain. Also, there are trendy young shops in the shopping mall in the Forum les Halles, which is a shopping center with a metro stop. H&M is particularly reasonable and popular; I think there is an H&M elsewhere in Paris. If it were me and just wanted to take a kid shopping to get some cheap French duds, I'd just take her to one of the large Monoprix or Inno general discount dept. stores (Inno is same owner). The larger ones have pretty good selections. If you're staying in that area, I'd recommend the Monoprix on rue de Rennes, just south of bd St-Germain or the Inno which is on rue du Depart at the rear edge of Montparnasse Tower square (there is actually a shopping mall inside there, also, with tons of shops and a Galleries Lafayette store, that would also be a good place for you to go). I find that Inno store very convenient for all kinds of shopping. I know there are also boutiques and other shopping streets but, as I said, I'm no preteen expert so won't comment any more.

Aug 6th, 2001, 01:50 PM
StCirq

The two stores I could dnot get my 14-year-old out of in Paris this summer were Pimkie and Etam. They are magnets for pre-teens, too. Also, Monoprix is a good place for young girls. All are very reasonably priced and trendy.

Aug 6th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Surlok

There's a chain in Paris, and all over Europe, too, or inSpain, at least, called Zara. They have everything from kids to grown ups, and the design is very trendy. I do like all their clothes, be it for kids or adults, and they are quite affordable. I'm not sure where Zara store is in the 5eme, but your hotel concierge will know, for sure.

Surlok

Aug 6th, 2001, 06:17 PM
wendy

I just got back from a 2nd trip to Paris. I was in Paris in April with my 16 yr old daughter. I would shop in Gallerie Lafayette where you will get the 10% discount for travellers. Although they do have expensive clothing, you can also find some reasonably priced stuff. Also, sign up for the fashion show that is presented twice a week. The teens really loved it .You can do it on -line before you go. Go to Monoprix for make-up. Prices are excellent there. Also, my daughter was excited to go to Petit Bateau to purchase every color tee-shirts in her size. They were about $9.00 US there, and $30US here. Also, the foldong back-packs and bags in Longchamp, and the bags at Harvery Chapalier- both 1/2 price in Paris. You can also buy most of these at another 10% off at Gallerie Lafayette- if the have what you are looking for. Otherwise, go to their own stores. I had to bring back more for my daughter on this trip, as she wasn't with us. Questions, email.

Aug 7th, 2001, 08:31 PM
Nan

Thanks to al of you for answering my questions. I am now armed with enough info, and hopefully enough casah, to keep my daughter happy. Already know about Herve Chapelier and have orders from several people, the tote bags are very popular in NYC. Christina, thanks for info, of course you are right about arrondisement. I will check out reviews on websites that you recommended. I appreciate all of the guidance.
Nan