Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Anyone Stay at Hotel General d'Entraiges, Uzes?

Anyone Stay at Hotel General d'Entraiges, Uzes?

Feb 9th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Anyone Stay at Hotel General d'Entraiges, Uzes?

I'm thinking of staying in this hotel a few days next June and was wondering if anyone here had stayed there and had comments on the quality of rooms and parking situation. I'll have a rental car. Specifically, my old Rivages Hotels of Charm guide says it has a parking garage, but the web site doesn't mention one anywhere. Just wondering if it's tricky to drive around the hotel as it's in the town, and how far you might have to park from it, if at all.

Otherwise, does anyone think there are certain rooms definitely to be avoided, such as ground floor rooms or a certain view or near the pool or terrace, or anything? That book says the top rooms are best because of the view.

thanks for any info
Feb 11th, 2005, 10:36 PM

Christina, we spent a week at this hotel last June, using Uzes as a base for the area and would stay there again. The hotel has character and charm, but is a little quirky. By that I mean that some of the floors slant a bit, and corners are not always at right angles as you might expect in a hotel created from two 15th and 17th century "maisons particulieres." The staff members were all pleasant and accommodating.

The main building has an elevator; the second does not. Rooms vary in size considerably, and the largest are in the building without the elevator. We stayed in the main building because I was having some problems with one of my knees and wished to have elevator access. Our room looked out over the dining terrace which did get noisy on occasion. If we were to stay in the main building again, I'd ask for a different room. We looked at several, and the one I noted for the future was #11; it was larger than the one we had and located on the other side of the hotel from the dining terrace.

There is indeed a garage, but the space is limited and you must reserve a garage space when you reserve a room. We were very glad we had, as parking in Uzes is at a premium. A hotel staff member usually parked the car and retrieved it from the garage to accommodate as many cars as possible.

We didn't find the hotel restaurant to be as good as the reviews I'd read suggested. However, there are a variety of places to eat in town. Our favorite was Les Trois Salons, which is very close to the hotel.

We loved Uzes and being in the old quarter of the town. It has arguably the loveliest central square of any we've seen in towns of comparable size.

Feb 14th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your detailed review. I was afraid nobody would notice who had stayed there. I'll have to think about this from your description. I'm sure the hotel sounds nice enough for me, but I wonder if it might not be more convenient to stay just outside the town for parking reasons, and visit the town to hang out. It will be a touring base for me for about four days and while I'd like to hang around Uzes some, most of the daytime will probably be driving elsewhere.

I don't like staying in some very small places or B&Bs in the middle of nowhere, though, I like larger hotels. Am considering Le Castellas in Collias and maybe Begude Saint Pierre, also. Hotel Marie d'Agoult is a bit stiff and formal looking for my taste.
Feb 14th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Christina.
Last year we stayed in a Gite just northwest of Uzes for 1 week. We stayed 1 week there in '03 also. Often we would go into Uzes to get a watch fixed, buy a newspaper, & do other "in & out" tasks. We found no trouble parking, at all.

Is the Hotel Marie d'Agoult the same as the Chateau Arpaillargues? If so, we dined there in '03, and stayed there and dined there in the 90s also. I don't know what you mean by "stiff" - price, formality, ??? It has a garden area you can dine in, that's perhaps the nicest we've seen in Provence (we have vacationed in Provence for 11 weeks since '99). The place is not formal at all - not many places in Provence are, especially in this area which gets fewer tourists.

I may have posted my favorite restaurants list last week. If not, let me know if you are really going to stay there, & I'll post it again - with descriptions from my wife's diary.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca
Feb 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Christina, we have rented a couple of houses in Uzès for a total of four weeks. None of them included parking, so I've gotten to know the public lots fairly well.

There are at least five public lots that I can think of that are contiguous to the boulevard that rings the centre of town. Most are "parking payant;" insert coins into an horodateur and you get a ticket that you display on your windshield. I think the outdoor lots are free overnight, on Sundays, and public holidays. I have left my rented car overnight in several of these lots without difficulty.

There is also a great indoor garage on the northeast corner of town called Parking Gide. You enter from the boulevard, take a ticket, park, and then pay when you come back to your car. I think the maximum tariff was €8 for a 24-hour period. The interesting thing about this lot is that you can get a one-week discounted rate that also gives you in-and-out privileges. Enquire at the office that is near the exit gate onto the street. This garage is safe; it's locked up at night and has video cameras on all levels. Just beware that like all parking garages in France, your car will suddenly seem to double in size the second you drive in ... they're tight!

So, if you can't get a spot at your hotel, you might look at Parking Gide.

If you have the Michelin Green Guide for Provence, the little map of Uzès shows the public parking loots, including the underground one on Chemin Gide.

We've been in Uzès in May, September, and October and parked without too much difficulty. Wednesdays and Saturdays are market days, however, and the town is really busy.
Feb 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Christina, we had a very enjoyable stay at the Begude. Funny you should mention iyt today, I framed a poster from an art exhibit they had during our stay and was moving it to another wall.
Feb 14th, 2005, 04:12 PM

"parking loots"??? Finger problems, as usual.

Anselm
Feb 15th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

oh, good, some more good replies.

That's interesting about your comments, Stu, on Hotel Marie d'Agoult (which is in the Chateau d'Arpaillargues, yes). It might be more expensive than I want to spend anyway, but what I was referring to was the decor and general ambience -- at least as it appears from the few photos I could find online.

The bedrooms had rather formal furniture, straight-back chairs of a style that I cannot name but is probably in the late 19th or early 20th century (after Louis XVI, and not Louis Philippe which I love, def. not Art Deco or Nouveau--don't think Empire but could be), formal drapes and wall coverings, etc. It just looked like my grandmother's living room where no one was allowed to ever go, not what I would want from a country house or what you see in decorator magazines as Provencal country style. Actually, I have always been a little surprised at the formality of some of the hotels' decor in Provence and their style, it seems out of place in the country. Just too frou-frou for me.

You make it sound nice, though, so maybe the photos are wrong or don't give the right impression. What style would you call the bedroom decor?
Feb 15th, 2005, 03:06 PM

>>>Actually, I have always been a little surprised at the formality of some of the hotels' decor in Provence and their style, it seems out of place in the country. Just too frou-frou for me.

You make it sound nice, though, so maybe the photos are wrong or don't give the right impression. What style would you call the bedroom decor? <<

Always remember that the pictures show their best rooms (perhaps the most formal too) - not the simples ones. I have a brochure from when we stayed there for 2 nights in the mid 90s, but they may have remodeled everything. There is a picture of 1 formal room, and two that are much more simple.

If you will be there in the summer & can dine outside, then the garden is a big plus. You can have breakfast & dinner in the garden, or just hang out during the day. The pool is nice too. If there is a picture of the pool on their web site - it is NOT located in the garden.

Stu Dudley
Feb 15th, 2005, 08:50 PM

Christina - a postscript to my earlier comments about our week at the Hôtel du Général d'Entraigues. We were there during part of a festival week, which may have influenced my comment about parking being at a premium and why we wanted to have our car garaged at the hotel. However, we had no problem whatsoever getting in and out of town for day trips. The hotel is right off the Place de l'Evêche, which is essentially on the ring of boulevards around the town center.

You've no doubt seen the photos on the hotel website, but if not, they give a good sense of the place and its location. http://www.hoteldentraigues.com

Search this Thread