Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   anyone rented Paris apt w/o airconditioning in Aug? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/anyone-rented-paris-apt-w-o-airconditioning-in-aug-308537/)

Elaineh Apr 19th, 2003 06:49 AM

anyone rented Paris apt w/o airconditioning in Aug?

Has anyone rented an apartment w/o airconditioning in Aug w/o air conditioning? Is it unbearable?

Elissadny Apr 19th, 2003 07:06 AM

Some years ago we rented a deluxe hotel suite with A/C in Paris. It didn't work and we were sweltering. When my husband complained, the mgr asked, "Monsieur, did you rent a room or an A/C? Ah you rented a room. Voila!" Nevertheless, I love Paris and would go back in a minute! For every story of rudeness, I could respond with one of great friendliness and helpfulness by individual Parisians. Bon Voyage!

mclaurie Apr 19th, 2003 07:12 AM

My 2 cents Elaineh, I've never been to Paris in August but I wouldn't do it (have no A/C). If you're used to a/c at home you'll want it there. If you're not used to a/c because you live in a cool climate, you'll definitely want it there!

Patrick Apr 19th, 2003 07:42 AM

I agree that it will probably be unbearable. Of course you can get lucky and there will be a &quot;cold&quot; wave.<BR>Some will often answer with &quot;oh they lent us a fan&quot; -- but blowing hot, humid air at me is not AC! Others will say &quot;you can probably open the windows and will get a good breeze&quot; -- but again, if it is hot and humid that will do you no good and you can expect not to sleep in most hotels with the sounds of early morning deliveries, trash pickup, street cleaners, late night revelers, etc. I would never consider a non airconditioned room in Paris between June 1 and Sept. 1, probably even longer.

sansdieu Apr 19th, 2003 08:42 AM

It also depends on where your apartment is located. Mine was in a recently-built concrete high-rise, and even in the most sweltering heat, it was nice and cool, especially at night (I didn't spend much time there during the day). I did not have a fan or a/c, but never felt that I needed one (and I'm very temperature-sensitive; I had a mild heat stroke in Chartres once).

Weadles Apr 19th, 2003 01:07 PM

I agree totally with the other posters who said they would not stay in Paris without AC. It can be a really miserable experience without it-- trust me, we tried! <BR><BR>Bonne chance!

Bootman4U Apr 19th, 2003 01:12 PM

There is obviously a REASON that some places are air conditioned and it isn't because people like to hear the noise of the air blowing. All depends on what YOU consider &quot;unbearable&quot; which is obviously very subjective. Would you stay in YOUR home in August if it weren't air conditioned?????

Christina Apr 19th, 2003 06:22 PM

no, but I have in July, and I've also stayed in university residence halls in July as well as hotels (all without AC) and it didn't bother me that much. August isn't statistically hotter than July in Paris. Paris isn't that hot a city in summer compared to many places in the US that I've lived (like Midwest and now in Washington DC). In all those stayes, there have been only a few really hot days when I was there and many in the range of 65-80 (in the afternoon). The problem is you don't know what the weather will be like the exact days you decide to stay, so you have to decide how important it is to you and how much you like AC. I don't really like it that much and don't use it at home until it gets over 90.

bookchick Apr 19th, 2003 06:40 PM

Oh, dear. I live near the Canadian border, and over 76 starts to be a bit unbearable for me. I would always made sure I had AC just about anywhere in August. As I said on another thread, if God had wanted me to melt, he'd have put me into a Salvador Dali painting.<BR><BR>Bon Voyage,<BR>BC

chicgeek Apr 19th, 2003 08:11 PM

Paris can be sweltering in the summer. The main reason you need A/C is that if you leave your windows open, it can be very noisy. I would never book a room there in the summer without air-conditioning.

Patrick Apr 20th, 2003 04:24 AM

Good one about Dali, bookchick!!

Michael Apr 20th, 2003 01:19 PM

sansdieu, Given your web name, your heat stroke must have been due to His wrath.

sansdieu Apr 22nd, 2003 08:02 AM

Michael,<BR><BR>Hmmm... perhaps, perhaps. At the time, I was far far away from the Cathedral, though...