Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Anyone out there living in Italy know how to order laptops from US?

Anyone out there living in Italy know how to order laptops from US?

Jan 15th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Anyone out there living in Italy know how to order laptops from US?

I'm desperate! I need a laptop badly here in Italy but know I will get taxed 20% of the value of it if it gets sent here from US which is more than 200$ plus the already high shipping and normal taxes in US which i can't afford since I'm financing the computer for a reason. however, ,on the flipside I can't order a laptop here as they are different models and twice the price. as well, i'm worried about sending it from US without declared value or as 'used goods' because if it gets lots I'm screwed! Anyone know any options for American computers here or ways to do this?
I'd really appreciate any info anyone has.
grazie tutti
Jan 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM
ira

Hi W,

>i'm worried about sending it from US ...as 'used goods' because if it gets lost I'm screwed!<

Why can't you have your used personal items insured?

Jan 15th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Check with your travel agent in the USA. Who do know that is coming to Italy? Use e-mail and do a little searching of friends travelling. Laptops come in without fuss. PCs are a problem at customs.
Jan 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM

see if the same models are at a british shop..since there will be no import tax from european union country and you will have a good chance of getting what you want, i think.
Jan 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM
J62

I'm surprised you can't find a laptop for similar price as US. In Germany, electronics stores like MediaMart (sp) have a wide range of computers/laptops at same or better price than in the US.

Computers are as much nearly commodity item these days, good, bad or otherwise.

Major brands avail in the US (HP/Compaq, IBM, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu) are all made overseas anyway, and most if not all those companies have a major worldwide presence.

Jan 15th, 2006, 03:03 PM

You really can't rely on breaking the law to solve your problems.

Getting a friend in the US to lie on the customs declaration is a federal crime in America, and is VERY likely to result in your goods being seized by Italian Customs (who really can tell the difference between a new computer and an old one). You may well get away with it. But do you really want to gamble with the computer - not to mention your accomplice's freedom?

But I simply don't believe there isn't a single web site in Britain, Germany, Holland, Sweden or France that isn't selling computers at more or less US prices. Last time I went round Wal-Marts in the US, like for like laptops were at most 5-10% cheaper (and sometimes dearer) than on London's Tottenham Court Road.

Even if you can't find anyone prepared to ship to Italy, and even if you're right about Italian prices, a quick Easyjet to a London PC World or a Paris FNAC (or whoever proves, after an hour's googling, to be cheaper still, since neither of these companies is locally notorious for unbeatable prices) will give you a legal machine you can take back to Italy without paying any more tax. Spend enough time playing the fare sites, and you could well do the return journey for €50 or less.

But why are you obsessed with getting the same model as you can buy in America? A laptop's a laptop. Brand names just keep the advertising agencies rich. Own-label products from any reputable retailer will always give you far better value.
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the good advice everyone. I will check into Dell in other countries. The reason why I need the same brand as in American is because that is where I am from and when I return (in six months) I will need to be able to use my warrantee there (repair, etc). Also I can get financed by Dell, and that is no small thing when you are a student without a lot of money sitting around to buy a computer. I think an English speaking EU country might be the best bet. I'll check out the prices and models and post on here when I'm done just in case anyone else ever comes across the same problem
cia tutti
grazie mille
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:50 AM

Find out what programs are loaded. Note the operating system. Can you operate them?
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

just checked laptop prices from other EU Countries (english speaking)
and they are at least 20% higher for example in Ireland and 100% higher in Britain due to the pound. The american dollar prices quoted on the Dell USA website are the same as the starting Euro prices quoted in EU (20% more money) and in the UK the starting prices would equal to be twice as many American dollars. Also, Dell does not ship directly from Dell to other countries than the one the order is placed in. Hmmmm..........
Jan 16th, 2006, 04:56 AM

i believe your warranty/guaranteee is not valid in the USA unless you "import" it. at least that is what happened to us with a professional camera we bought in the USA, brought to spain where we live, and tried to use the guarantee.

the offical dealer wouldn't do it for free. we had to have IMPORTED it and have a Spanish bill.

check into that.
(might add this was a loooong time ago, but things may NOT have changed as to guarantees from outside the eu.

Search this Thread