Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone know the name of the Train Station in Siena?

Dec 14th, 2000, 10:55 AM
Heather

I have four guidebooks (dont worry, I'm leaving three at home) and not one of them specifically states the name of the train station in Siena, the one that is two miles out of town. I can't use the fs on-line timetable because it lists trains to two different stations (Grosetto and Chuisi). Which is the one closest to town?

Dec 14th, 2000, 11:15 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Heather, Those are not the names of the stations--those are both towns in Tuscany that would be the logical stops
in a SW or SE direction from Siena--both are about 40 miles from Siena.
Maybe others can help with the name, but I assume it is SIENA.

Dec 14th, 2000, 11:22 AM
KT

It's just plain Siena, alright. The track from Florence branches off there into two lines, one towards Grosseto and one toward Chiusi.

Dec 14th, 2000, 11:33 AM
Lesli

Depending on where you are coming from/heading to, the bus can be a better option. It is definitely more convenient for travel to/from Florence, and drops you right at the edge of the Siena town center.

Dec 14th, 2000, 02:46 PM
Topper

To the top....

Dec 14th, 2000, 04:16 PM
Walter

Heather I believe Lesli is right. Paulo posted this bus website on another topic and it seems to be *alot* better option for a Rome-Siena journey. No connections and usually quicker. www.lazzi.it/senaautolinee/index_e.htm Regards, Walter

Dec 15th, 2000, 08:07 AM
Heather

I am confused because when I am at FS Online, and I try to get the train schedule from Roma to Siena, I get only trains to either Grosetto or Chiusi. Is there any train service from Rome to Siena?

Dec 15th, 2000, 08:27 AM
heather

Ok, Ok, I figured it all out. FS Online says that Grosetto and Chiusi are stations that I make a connection in order to arrive in Siena. Duh!
Thanks for the help anyway! I hope that I'm not this oblivious when I actually get to Italy.

Dec 15th, 2000, 09:14 AM
Holly

Heather: You may want to try www.raileurope.com

I've found the schedules to be pretty accurate, and the site easy to use. It's got the train schedule for Rome to Siena with a change in Chiusi.

Dec 17th, 2000, 05:40 PM
Tina

Heather:

Went hunting for Paulo's post re: bus to Siena & here it is from another thread that covers a similar topic.
= * = * =
Author: Paulo ([email protected])
Date: 12/06/2000, 8:45 pm ET

Message: I'm pretty sure that you don't want to stay in the train station area in any of the cities you mention Stay right in the middle of he action, even if you have to catch a taxi here and there to shuttle you between a train station and your hotel. Though I don't know Lucca very well, chances are that the "damage" would be bearabl there ...

SIENA: We know that you probably will take the bus to Assisi ... any other bus daytrips planned? Anyway, it's well known that our choice 3-star in town is the Chiusarelli (mainly because of its easy access, parking alternatives and closeness from the sites). Quite a few friends using Siena as a base for bus daytrips stayed there and not a single one was unpleased. Though, when compared to some other, it lacks character, family ambience, romantic setting, etc (really a no nonsense type of hotel) it's well kept and clean, confortable with all ammenities and it was at most 100mts from Siena's main bus stop at the San Domenico church.

I understand that things have changed. It looks like they have moved the buses from the square in front of the church. Though I may be wrong on this, apparently they moved the inter-city buses further north (via Tozzi, la Lizza and Piazza Gramsci area) and the local buses serving the old town, mainly to Piazza del Sale. If that's indeed so, the Chiusarelli would still be a good option (the walking distance to the buses would have increased to 300-350mts). If you're arriving by train, bus #6 should take you close enough to the hotel. For info on local and provincial transportation refer to

http://db.sienanet.it/web/train/welcome.asp

Bob's indications have been referred to by others but they lay outside the walls (granted, not dramatically so). One other option in the old town, though quite far from the buses, would be Palazzo Ravizza in the southwest corner of the city.