Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone know how to talk to an actual person at Capital One?

Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

I am a new Capital One customer having received my card last November but just activated it a couple of weeks ago. I have been trying to call them to let them know I may be using the card in France May 31 - June 19, but keep getting caught on the "menu merry-go-round." None of the numbered options seems to match what I want and there is no option to speak to a customer service agent. I've tried the number on the back of the card and another they sent me in an e-mail when I signed up for online payments. The result is the same with both. Anyone know how to get a real person on the line or how to inform them I'll be using the card in France?

I also wanted to ask about the Foreign Transaction Charge. There is a paragraph in my Customer Agreement that sounds like they do have such a charge although I've seen many posts here that say they don't.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:28 PM

Yes, it is maddening....Have you tried repeatedly pressing the "0" key?? Sometimes that seems to work. Another possibility is this: hit the number which corresponds to "To report a lost or stolen card..." even though that isn't exactly what you want they aren't going to kick you out when you get someone in the Seecurity department..and while you are on the line with them get them to give you any direct number that you can use from overseas to call them and bypass the usual menu.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:31 PM

I have a Capital One card and have used the phone number for "Fraud" for this purpose, and get a real person without too much trouble. I think you do first get a recording, but I know how to get out of those pretty quickly (I usually just hit the star key, or if that doesn't work, just don't say anything in response and it defaults to a person). We had a thread on this not too long ago you can maybe find by someone who said the number I used wasn't helpful to them, but I've not had much trouble. I haven't used it in a while, though.

it's 1-800-427-9428

That other thread had someone posting a different number for "fraud" as I recall (which is security).

My card does not have a foreign transaction charge and never has, and I've never gotten a notice saying it does. What does the paragraph say that you think sounds like they have one? They do have a lot of different cards, so terms might differ, but mine is a Platinum Go Miles Mastercard and does not have one.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:31 PM

I had the exact same problem, so I emailed them and got this response:

"Thank you for contacting Capital One.

We regret to hear that you have been unable to speak with a representative.

We encourage you to contact our Customer Relations Department again at
1-800-955-7070 (1-804-934-2001 if you are overseas). Our representatives
are available 24 hours every day for your convenience.

Please remain on the line when our Voice Response Unit (VRU) requests your
account number. After a short wait, please choose option #1 for an
existing account and enter your social security number or wait on the line.
The next available representative will then answer your call.

If you prefer, please send your correspondence to the following address:

Capital One
PO Box 30285
Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0285"

I haven't tried again, because I'm waiting until the week before our trip, which is how long they typically say to let them know you will be going overseas. Hope this helps!
Pam

Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM

Hi Betty1
Which country are you from?

In this situation I usually select the one that offers to provide a money making service, like a balance transfer, they are always manned, they will be able to sort you out or transfer you to those that can.
Muck
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM

Mucky: Excellent suggestion IMO or select, as I suggested , a money-losing [for them] option!!!

After all, it is always about the money!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:51 PM

The collect call from overseas number they gave me was 804-290-8550.

I just tried that thing they wrote to heelfan, and it does seem fairly easy, although it doesn't work the way described in that letter. I used that number, though, and after putting in my credit card number, I think it just instructs you to hit "zero" to get a real representative. I never tried it, but that's what it says. The "1" may work, but that is some kind of balance transfer issue or something, so I don't know why they would say do that when they have an alternative option that says you get a respresentative with the zero.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:54 PM

bookmarking - those menu merry-go-rounds are such a pain!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:04 PM

I'm posting so I can refer back to this thread when I need to call Capital One to notify them I will be using the card in Europe in September.

Thanks for the heads up everyone!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
Weekender

Phone 800-903-3637. Press 0000 at each prompt until offered representative at 0.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:27 PM

There's an interneat cheat-sheet on how to speak with a live person; for Capital One what you do is press the 0 four times in a row, ignoring the prompts.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I've been calling my other card issuers and it was much easier than Capital One.

Christina, the paragraph I was refering to reads "For each transaction made in a country other than the U.S. or U.S. Territories, we will assess you a finance charge as previously disclosed to you as part of the TILA Account Disclosures or as we will disclose to you if required by applicable law. The fee will be based on the U.S. dollar amount of the transaction." I love that part that seems to say "we'll tell you what it is if they make us"!

I have seen some other posts here that said they instituted a FT charge for a while last fall and then rescinded it. Since I got this card last November, maybe that's the explanation?

My card is a plain vanilla Visa (No Hassle Miles). I don't know if they have separate numbers for Visa vs. Mastercard. I'll try your suggestion and/or heelfan's and let you know what happens. The 955-7070 is the number on the back of my card and I didn't get anywhere with that.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:12 PM

You might try a site called: "Get Human"
http://www.gethuman.com/us/
It is a listing of how to circumvent the seemingly endless telephone menus that prevent us from talking to a human. It lists hundreds of companies, and the numbers to press to talk to a real person.

Good Luck!

Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:20 PM

We've just stayed on the phone pushing buttons - eventually a live person answers.
I've always thought I should get extra miles just to wait that long.
Good luck

Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

OK... I finally got through. I basically followed heelfan's instructions, ignoring the request for an account number and a few other options, then pressed 1 for active accounts or some such and entered my SSN. I first thought that wasn't going to work because I got the same list of options but finally did get "press 0 to speak with a customer representative." Sheesh! Why do they have to make it so hard!

So I spoke to one guy, gave him my dates and asked a few questions. He assured my there were no Foreign Transaction Fees. He gave me a number to call from France in case the card was lost or stolen: 800-290-2911.

He then tranferred me to the Fraud department where I spoke to a woman who had apparently taken all the info from the first person as the first thing she said was that my card was ok'd for use in France on my dates. She gave me another number to call: 804 290 8550 so I don't know if the first guy was wrong or if they both work.

I also asked her for a quicker way to get through (told her I had other people traveling with me that might need to call - which may be true!) Anyway she said to have them call her directly at 1-800-427-9428.

By the way, I got the Capital One card just as a back-up to my MBNA Visa I've had for years, through National Education Association. So far they have not charged anything other than the 1% Visa fee. I've used it online to pay for train tickets (SNCF), house rental (Gites de France), Parishuttle and a few other things. I hope it stays that way.

Thanks for your help and I hope this thread may be helpful to someone else.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:14 PM

The "0000" just worked for me.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:53 PM

There was an article in my local paper recently about gethuman.com. The Capitol One listing had the phone number of 1-800-955-7070. It said "press 0 three times, once after each prompt. Or wait through the menu choices, then press 0. Minutes to reach human = 2.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:28 PM

bookmarking
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:45 PM

yeah, I think that paragraph made me wonder a little, also, but they say they will assess a finance charge as disclosed to you in the agreement, and there isn't one in the agreement. The other thing about how they will notify you if they have one, seems normal to me. They are supposed to notify you, so that's just standard legalese, I think. They have never notified me and haven't had any charge yet. I sure hope they don't, as they are one of the few remaining who don't.

The overseas fraud number you got is the same one I posted. I never had to use it, but it looks correct.

The first guy was obviously wrong if he gave you an 800 number to use from France, as you can't use 800 numbers from abroad. Maybe there was a misunderstanding, and he just gave you the collect number to call for card problems. You should have told him it was wrong as you can't use 800 numbers from France.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:50 PM

ttt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO