UK over Christmas

Old Nov 30th, 1997, 09:10 PM
Maureen

UK over Christmas

We are planning a 10 day visit to the UK over Christmas. We will hire a car before leaving home, but we weren't planning to book hotels/B&Bs in advance. We don't have a set itinerary, but among the places we'd like to visit are York, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Glasgow, London... Do you think we should reserve rooms in advance? Will it be difficult to find reasonably priced rooms without booking ahead? Also, I am afraid that a lot of things will be closed down for the holidays. What is your experience with closures? Should we at least book up for Dec. 24-26? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old Dec 1st, 1997, 02:38 PM
doug

hi maureen
we are also going to uk for about three weeks @christmas. it seems that it might be a little tricky for b&b's. i've booked ahead. the 25th and 26th seem to slow things to a crawl has far as i can
see. we plan on relaxing on the 25th and traveling on the 26th. hope this helps.

doug

Old Dec 3rd, 1997, 01:02 AM
George Holt

Can't speak for room availability, though it strikes me that if you plan to be in Scotland on New Year's Eve you might want to book ahead. As for shops and museums, some generalisations... The 24th is generally a normal day but many things may close early. You won't find much at all open on the 25th, just eat and drink lots and sleep. The 26th is a holiday but many places open for a reduced time. DIY shops and department stores have been known to start their January sales on 26th December. The rest of the next week is normal until New Year's Eve when again places may close early. New Year's Day is a Holiday in England and Scotland (and probably Northern Ireland) but you may find places open (again particularly shops). I beleive January 2nd is also a holiday in Scotland so watch out for that if you're north of the border.

Old Dec 3rd, 1997, 06:49 AM
CJ

Hi Maureen! The only thing I would like to add is check when banks are open as you would hate to get caught somewhere short on funds. Just returned in August from UK and found that some of the smaller towns do not have TYME machines... Have a great holiday; Christmas in Great Britain sounds wonderful. I'm envious

Old Dec 3rd, 1997, 03:55 PM
Adina

I just got back from U.K. and strongly recommend that you reserve your accommodations in advance - at least for the weekends. Many people visit U.K.'s larger towns on the weekends for holiday shopping. An aside - we were paying approx. $100/night yet found only very dirty accommodations - a big disappointment even when we liked everything else about the rooms. Good luck!

Old Dec 7th, 1997, 09:57 AM
NicoleVictor

Is there a way to find out if anything is open on Christmas and Boxing Day in London?

Old Dec 7th, 1997, 10:30 AM
doug

hi nicole
i just found out that the tube is closed xmas day and the trains are closed boxer day from london to bath. i got a bus to bath on boxer day. we'll be in london over christmas email me you get any additional info. doug

Old Dec 12th, 1997, 09:22 AM
sabrina

Nicole, aside from church, I'm afraid everything shuts down for Christmas day here. Boxing Day is another public holiday, but you may find certain stores (eg. supermarkets) will open perhaps for half a day.