Anyone heard of Hotel Marconi in VENICE?

Apr 18th, 1998, 04:22 PM
Chris Ng

Anyone heard of Hotel Marconi in VENICE?

Anyone ever hear or stay at Hotel Marconi in Venice, Italy? Would you recommend it? Any other nice hotels at about $150.00 per night?

Thanks!

Apr 18th, 1998, 04:49 PM
Barbara

Chris -- Frommer's guide has quite a favorable review of Marconi. It's near the Rialto Bridge and has four rooms that overlook the Canal. Probably not a quiet place. I think the Hotel Bel Sito would still be in that price range -- we had an enjoyable stay there last spring. Ask for a room with balcony overlooking the square or one of the rooms with a roof deck. I have also read wonderful things about Hotel Galleria, just across the Accademia Bridge in the Dorsoduro section, which is my favorite area of Venice in which to stay. Six rooms on the Canal, spacious, frescoed ceilings and lovely furnishings. We plan to try it next trip. Other places I have stayed are above the price you mentioned. Hope you find something you like.

May 25th, 1998, 05:04 PM
Jerry Hunt

My wife and I stayed at the Marconi 14 years ago when we first visited Venice. The hotel had a lot of charm and a wonderful location, though our room was a little on the "spartan" side. A large, friendly dog slept next to the front desk. On a more recent visit to Venice we stayed at the Hotel Metropole, a wonderful but pricey accommodation.

Jun 11th, 1998, 03:07 PM
Jan

Funny you should ask! My husband and I just returned from Italy and while we were in Venice we stopped by the Marconi because my husband had stayed there in 1952 after he graduated from college. He and a friend were seeing Europe on motorcycles and a shoe string and the Marconi fit their budget then. It has since undergone a transformation and is now a 3 star hotel. While we didn't see the rooms we thought it a very nice hotel and in a wonderful location.

Jun 12th, 1998, 04:07 AM
Monica

Any hotel on the Grand canal will be noisy, unless the hotels have added sound proof windows. It does quiet down in the late evening when less boats are moving on the water.

Jun 14th, 1998, 06:28 PM
deepa

My husband and I stayed at the Marconi (which is a part of the Minotel chain)last summer and we loved it. It is very much in the centre of things but in Venice where one needs to walk everywhere and there are no noisy cars or vehicles, we thought it was great. Very clean, modern and good breakfast. In fact we got a good deal and paid about $100/night for a double. This was in August. You might want to check it out and see if you could get a better price from them.