Reload this Page >

Anyone have food related illnesses in Russia-tips for means appreciated

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 08:03 PM
donna

Will be on Scandinavian/Russia Cruise next summer. Have heard cautions about food related illnesses in Russia. Any tips for eating/meals away from the ship?

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 03:16 AM
RomyNL

Donna,<BR>I have never experienced such problems in Russia. Though I have heard about this terrible accident with milk products in the Southern regions...so you can never be 100% sure.<BR>Geberla advice: avoid buying food on the streets, especially fruit as it can be from the Central Asian republics of the former USSR, and you can imagine heakth standards somewhere in Uzbekistan..<BR>As for cafes, restaurants, food in supermarkets - they are safe, as far as I can judge.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Marc David Miller

Use the same caution you would elsewhere. Be especially careful about water and ice-don't use ice in the cheaper resturants.<BR><BR>www.CDC.gov has a good (but I think overly cautious) warning list for all countries, including Russia.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 04:31 AM
MHS

Did this cruise in 2001. We had the hepatitis shot prior to voyage (protects against faulty ship water &amp; shellfish in FL etc., check with your personal doctor who knows your travel patterns) &amp; avoided water/ice. We always carry our own bottled water anyway. <BR><BR>Actually, our personal guide for the 1st day in St. also drank only bottled water. If you use a cruise sponsored guide or tour, you will have bottled water on lunch table. <BR><BR>No problems anywhere, but again avoid that street food in Russia (really no opportunity or need anyway), Poland, etc. Had great restaurant meal with local beer in Poland, very inexpensive. All food/water is as ok as USA in any of the Scandinavian countries.<BR><BR>And, if you like beer, do buy samples of local beers to enjoy back on the ship. It not only gives you a variety not available on the ship, but is cheaper. We used Princess &amp; had no problem bringing back 2-3 bottles from a port.<BR>

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Gretchen

We have not done a cruise but have travelled in Russia several times. DO NOT under any circumstances drink the water in St. Petersburg--it is full of giardia. Even residents don't drink it. Our friends in Moscow also do not drink their tap water without boiling. I would take the hepatitis shot (actually even for the US currently!). You might want to take some Cipro as an &quot;in case&quot;. At least take Pepto Bismol. We never were ill there--have been in other parts of the world.