Anyone have a favorite B&B in Ghent?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be 3 adults (2 rooms), basing in (and daytripping from) Ghent for 3 days/nights before moving on in early-mid June. Priorities are 1) location, 2) nice, comfy room, 3) friendly & responsible owners, and 4) reasonable cancellation policy. Good breakfast and free wifi are desirable as well.

I am all ears. Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 02:41 PM

I had once a few days in the Erasmus hotel. Atmospheric and intimate old house, friendly owners, good breakfast, a garden, and right in the centre on a quiet street: www.erasmushotel.be/
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 02:49 PM

I don't have one in Ghent, but I loved the place I stayed in Antwerpt (which I actually liked better than I liked Ghent, which I day tripped to from Antwerpt).

http://www.elzenveld.be/nl/hotel
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 04:02 PM

We enjoyed a B&B called Simon Says. Very pleasant owners and comfortable, spacious rooms. Breakfast is served in the cafe they run on the ground level.
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 04:41 PM

I was going to stay at a place called B&B King Ghent in 2013 but decided near the last minute to day trip to Ghent instead (from Bruges) and spend two nights in Antwerp instead of one. (It rained most of my time in Belgium so by that point I wasn't so worried about which city I was staying overnight in.) I still feel guilty about canceling on B&B King Ghent with such short notice, so I feel I should give them a plug, even though I never even visited them!

I took a walking tour in Ghent, and I thought the tour guide was boring. I've had better luck with the "free" tours where the guide has to work for tips!

I'm sure I would have liked Ghent better had the weather been nicer, but in mid-May it seemed a bit drab. However, it is a beautiful city - has a very dramatic visual appeal with the big churches and the water, etc. Great place for photography.

I didn't care for Antwerp much at all, actually. It also seemed pretty drab - but without Ghent's dramatic visuals. I stayed near the train station (which is beautiful) and daytripped to Leuven from there. (I liked Leuven.)
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the responses, all. I may have found a self-catering rental property that does the job, but I need to look into it more. (De Waterzooi Lodge in the city center)

Indy, I saw the Simon Says earlier today, and it looks like it's loaded with personality. I'm going to keep it in mind, too!
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 07:36 AM

I'd add that we were so pleased with our stay at Simon Says. My husband had a bad sinus infection during our stay and the owners went out of their way (on a national holiday I'd add) to secure a doctor's appointment for him and to help us find a pharmacy that was open. We spent more time in our room there than we would normally. It was quiet and restful and being able to pop down to the café for breakfast and a snack was a real plus.

Good luck with whatever you decide. We loved Ghent.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 08:14 AM

I cannot recommend Snooz Inn highly enough. The owners are gracious and attentive and the facilities are new.

http://www.snoozinn.be/

If you check the on-line sights, you will also see high praise.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Yep, saw that one too, IMD. Looks like we have a wealth of great options in front of us!

Side note: we have only had to bail on vacation plans twice in our entire travel life... and both times were trips to Belgium. Hopefully, third time is the charm!
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 01:08 PM

We'll just miss you; be in Ghent in mid May!

We are staying 2 nights at:

Carlton Hotel

Small hotel, owners are 2 brothers; have had good communication with them. Good cancel policy. Booked direct www.carltongent.be/
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 01:10 PM

{They have triples}
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

<i>{They have triples}</i>

Thanks, but DD is getting her own room. Trust me, it's for the best.

We do seem to travel in the same circles though, don't we?
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 02:26 PM

We do; GMTA!!