Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone fly into FCO and head to Perugia...how did you get there?

Mar 30th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Looking for suggestions. I know a private car transfer would be the easiest and of course the most expensive. Has anyone taken the bus? Downside to that I believe would be a possibility of inconvenient departure times...don't relish having to wait several hours. Do they run as often in the winter? Train? Am I correct if you take a train you must take a bus from the station into Perugia? Car rental not an option from Rome.

If I decide on a private transfer does anyone know of a company who goes to Perugia?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Mar 30th, 2007, 11:22 AM

FCO - Leonardo Express to Termini then Eurostar train direct to Perugia - train station is in Perugia but at the bottom on the hill, about a half-mile uphill from town centre. That's the train way.
Mar 30th, 2007, 11:59 AM

This past October we used www.RomeConnection.com and they were very nice and very reliable. I had checked all around and compared prices. For a private car this was the best and I went blind (no recommendation)and used them. I would absolutely use them again and recommend them. The driver spoke perfect English and the car was a Mercedes Benz. Public transportation would obviously be even more reaonably priced. But this was certainly convenient after a transatlantic flight and then having to get up the next morning and start hiking. We went FCO to Gubbio. His prices to Perugia were less. Good luck.
Mar 30th, 2007, 12:05 PM

Did this twice in 2006. Took the Leonardo Express to Stazione Termini and booked a train direct to Perugia. Check www.trenitalia.com ahead of time to see when the trains are running.
Mar 30th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Buy an airport-Perugia ticket at the airport train station - as you will need to have a reservation on the Eurostar train get it here where it's easier than waiting in line at Termini.

Or use the automatic ticket machines at the train stations - idiot proof it seems when i tried them last month - all in English.
Mar 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

I love the idea of a direct train, however looking at the schedule the first one I saw leaves at 1:46....our flight will probably land around 8:30 am. That's a long wait!
Mar 31st, 2007, 02:22 AM

Hi TF - If you want to catch a direct train, the first from Roma Termini would be the

12.14 'R' ( arr. Perugia 14.55).

Alternatively you could get an earlier train from Roma Termini (11.14) and change at Terontola ...

Steve