Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown Swiss International (formerly Swiss Air) lately and can report on the experience?

Anyone flown Swiss International (formerly Swiss Air) lately and can report on the experience?

Jan 20th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

they seem to be offering the cheapest flights to Rome thus far. Thanks!
Jan 20th, 2004, 11:27 AM
SRS

I flew them last March from Chicago to Venice via Zurich. Great experience! The seat configuration was 2-4-2 or perhaps 2-5-2. And there were the mini videos in each seat. As far as leg room, I just don't know. I'm short and small so it's not too much of an issue for me. Overall, it was a good experience!

Best wishes,
SRS
Jan 20th, 2004, 11:45 AM

sera,

Hate to be a voice of gloom, but I wouldn't book Swiss more than 6 months out - they aren't doing well financially... Of course the same can be said for USAirways and maybe even United.

Other than that, they're fine, though the A330 is very tight in coach (A340 is supposed to be better, MD-11 is also so-so).

Oh yes, you need to pay for drinks (even water) and food in coach on their short-haul flights within Europe. That said, they gave out nice free chocolates on the flights between Zurich & Paris I took last week and served a glass of water when the plane was held at the gate for connecting passengers in Zurich (such generosity ).

So in a nutshell, book them but not past August.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:54 PM

Flew LA-Zurich and Milan-Zurich-LA in October 2003. Good experience. Food was even edible! And flight crews were very friendly.
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:21 PM

Use your MasterCard to purchase one 21 day apex fare or higher Economy Class ticket and bring a companion for free.

Terms & Conditions
Reservations: call 1-800-568-0308 and refer to code G*J64G7L
Routes: Valid on SWISS operated flights only from Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Newark and New York's JFK.
Validity: valid with purchase of qualified round-trip 21 day apex fare or higher, or when no 21 day apex offered, the highest apex fare level applies.
valid on LX (SWISS) coded and operated flights only from any SWISS U.S. gateways to any SWISS destination worldwide
Travel period: through June 30, 2004. All travel must commence by June 30, 2004.
Ticketing: Tickets must be purchasd no later than February 29, 2004
Payment: All tickets must be purchased in the U.S. with a valid MasterCard in USD
Minimum/Maximum stay: According to the purchased fare rules
Change of reservation/cancellation: Change of reservation fee may apply depending on the fare purchased. Change/cancellation fees of the paid ticket apply to both tickets.
Refund: Purchased ticket must be accompanied by unused companion ticket.
Taxes: Fees, taxes and airport charges of approximately USD70 are not included
Frequent flyer: No frequent flyer miles may be accrued on free companion ticket
Other: Cannot be combined with any other discounted offer, certificates, promotional fares, negotiated fares or otherwise restricted fares.
One free companion ticket per trip.
Certain conditions and restrictions apply.
Offer is subject to seat availability.
Companion ticket must have same itinerary, departing and returning on the same flights as purchased tickets