Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Anyone flown AA to London lately?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/anyone-flown-aa-to-london-lately-163954/)

Kayla Feb 21st, 2002 10:10 PM

Anyone flown AA to London lately??

We're flying SFO to LHR via Chicago O'Hare (both ways) in a few weeks. American Airlines. Apparently we change plans in Chicago both ways. <BR><BR>Has anyone flown AA to London recently?? How was it? Anyone done this going through ORD bit?? <BR><BR>I'd appreciate hearing anyone else's experiences.<BR><BR>--K

janis Feb 21st, 2002 10:29 PM

The main advantage of AA is the expanded pitch in coach. That extra 3 inches makes an unbelievable difference. <BR><BR>I prefer the service and food on Virgin - but the extra space on AA means the trip will be tolerable. On an overnight flight being able to flex your legas and get up and walk around is huge. <BR><BR>And be glad you are routed through Chicago instead of Dallas. A much easier transition.

Kayla Feb 21st, 2002 10:43 PM

Thank you Janis. I flew Virgin to London last time & about had a stroke from claustrophobia -- not to mention the woman in front of me instantly cranked her seat back as far as it would go & left it there all the way to London. <BR><BR>So very glad to hear about the extra space on AA.<BR><BR>I've always had direct flights going to Europe in the past. This will be my first time connecting. Didn't know how that would go.<BR><BR>--K

janis Feb 21st, 2002 10:51 PM

That is just an AA thing. You can fly SFO to London non-stop on several airlines. But AA doesn't serve the west coast well at all anymore. - They have sort of abandoned us (I fly out of SFO too)<BR><BR>But that extra space help make up for it.

Lucy Feb 22nd, 2002 01:43 AM

Kayla,<BR>I will be flying on American Airlines from Orlando to London and have to change planes in Chicago as well.<BR>I have always had direct flights before...My trip is in mid-April. If you go before then please post regarding your experience changing planes, etc. <BR>Thanks!<BR>Lucy

s.fowler Feb 22nd, 2002 02:56 AM

On your way to LHR the change will be simple. Your SFO flight and your "across the pond" flight will leave from the same concourse in terminal 3.<BR><BR>On the way back you will probably go through customs & immigration in Chicago in Terminal 5, then take the train thing to Terminal 3. You will hand back your luggage to the American representatives just before you exit customs and they will get your luggage to your SFO flight.<BR><BR>I thought it was only 2 inches, but whatever it is -- it's nice and does make a difference. The service and food are average, but acceptable.

Elizabeth Feb 22nd, 2002 06:43 AM

Should be fine. I prefer DFW to O'Hare (always weather problems up there). If you are worried about connecting you can take an earlier flight into Chicago if there is room.

janis Feb 22nd, 2002 08:51 AM

s.fowler - yes AA only increased their pitch by an average of 2 inches to 34 inches -- but most other airlines jumbos only have 31 inch pitch so that is what I meant by three extra inches

JOdy Feb 22nd, 2002 09:17 AM

Flew AA thru Ohare in Oct and Nov to Paris and return from London..I prefer AA to most other airlines, never had a bad experience with them and the new seating is great.<BR>Connections were easy at Ohare both ways..even though you do have to go thru customs on return flight, AA had baggae handlers there to pick up luggage for your connecting flight. I would make sure you have at the very minimum 1 hr connection time. <BR><BR>The only gripe I had about O'Hare was very lax security at that time!

elvira Feb 22nd, 2002 10:06 AM

Just did r/t Phx&lt;&gt;Paris via AA:<BR><BR>Seat pitch does make a difference, minute as it is. Don't get the middle bulkhead seats; everyone uses the space in front as an aisle to the other side of the plane. Other than one prune-faced attendant who apparently thought a middle-aged woman shouldn't drink a beer, the service was excellent.<BR><BR>I arrived at Sky Harbor 2 1/2 hours before the flight, and I was in time to get on an earlier flight, which made the connection at DFW less hectic (agent at check-in suggested it; otherwise, ask).<BR><BR>Inbound at DFW, I got my bags to go through Customs, then just on the other side were AA customer service reps and baggage handlers to take the luggage for all connecting flights. <BR><BR>VERIFY YOUR FLIGHTS A WEEK OR SO BEFORE LEAVING. Some flights are being cancelled, you're rebooked on another flight with comparable departure times, so avoid panic when you get to the airport and don't see your flight # posted.