Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with this St. Germain apt. or service?

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price and location are right, the furnishings look a bit basic however:

http://www.ahparis.com/photos.asp?la...154&id_apt=186

Price real good but they want 500 Euro as a deposit. Too much cash to draw out of an ATM (rent plus deposit).
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Neopolitan

When are you going to be there? The problem with those skylights that seem to abound in the apartment is that they can make the place beastly hot -- particularly if there is no air-conditioning.

There are various ways to get 500 euro out of an ATM. Two of you each have a card? Use two different ATMs? Make sure your own bank temporarily raises your limit if it's not at least $700 a day.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Question: how much does it work out to cost per night? If the location is good, would that compensate for the obvious lack of creature comforts?
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Neopolitan

The site specifies 80 euro a week. Some people are different than I am, I guess.

I wouldn't accept a free apartment if I were going to be miserable in it. (I'm not saying that's the case here, however). The idea that you can be miserable or even uncomfortable on vacation if the "price is right" always throws me. It's sort of like saying, "the food was really terrible, but it was so cheap we didn't mind". Huh?

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

First week of July for 5 nights.

Yeah I'm thinking of going with another place which will hold my credit card number in reserve as damage deposit (as well as take the full payment in credit cards).

Yeah I worry about heat too. Many claim you don't need AC in Paris but I've spent some hot Augusts in Paris and lived to tell the tale.

That might argue for a hotel for just a bit more. But apartments tend to be roomier with kitchens too. Plus one thing I've always liked is a washer and dryer to clean the clothes after those sweltering summer days.

I may have to find a wash and fold service around this area.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Paris can be sweltering in the summer. I've been there over two dozen times...from the first trip in 1976 to just coming back from vacation a couple of weeks ago... and non of my hotels have had air conditioning. I stopped going during the summer as of 1990 and started only going in the spring which I like much better. So, I would suggest air conditioning. I'm from L.A. area where I'm used to heat, but I hate...on a vacation... being up during the night...not being able to sleep due to heat and then being tired all day while running around the city. If you open the windows, then you get the horrid outside noise....traffic and people since people are out on the street until very late at night during the summer/warm months. Happy Travels!