Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with this Paris apartment and/or location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning my 3rd trip to Paris and found this apartment through a company called Paris Hideaways. The apartment is called "Matisse" and the photos look great. It seems pretty large and has fantastic views at a somewhat low price. It is located on Rue De L'Universite. Does anyone know about this exact area or this apartment???

http://studio.provaction.com/paris/matisseuk2.html#
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM

looks great and well located. Can't you Google the address and see exactly where it is? Seems like its on the left bank somewhere between the Eiffel Tower and the Latin Quarter..
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Know the area very well..stay nearby regularly..was there inApril and will be there for a month in Sept/Oct and next year Spring and Fall.

Bus/Metro access great, more gourmet and bibb gourmand restaurants in the 7th than in 4th, 5th, 6th combined.

The map shows the location...

If you would like to compare..I use www.parisperfect.com I rent from them for all my trips. Have rented many apartments and hotels over a great many years..have not found anything that I like better than what Paris Perfect can provide for me.

Enjoy.............
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for such quick responses! Yes, Kleroux, it is very close to the Eiffel Tower and Rue Cler area. The price seems extremely reasonable. I'm waiting for their email response.
Gracejoan3 - I would love to stay at a ParisPerfect apartment but they won't rent for 4 nights unless they have last minute availability. Which apartment did you stay in? I have my eye on a few..
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Gracejoan3 - You said you're going to Paris in October. Did you ever see the Autumn Festival in Monmartre (La Fete des Vendanges)? It's the weekend of October 10th and it's fabulous.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 10:37 AM

I don't know the apartment, but I do know the neighborhood. Lots of embassies, very safe and quiet, though of course, lots of tourists in the Eiffel Tower area. Tons of great restaurants and central to everything. We always stay here and we will be there, in fact, starting this weekend for two weeks.

We stayed in a 540 sq. ft. apartment with our two children and did ok, it was a little tight but we were out most of the time anyway.

The apartment looks nice - and it looks like it has been recently updated. I would say go for it!

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM

I have stayed in the Grenache, St. Amour, Kir, and will be in the new Meursault from 9/10 - 10/10 next.

I didn't know the number of days you were staying. Can't you stay longer? Paris Perfect does have a 20% off discount going..just say from Fodor's or ask for it.

No, have not been to the Monmartre fete..I am leaving on 10/10.

Enjoy.....
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Roberta,

Last trip to Paris in Feb 08, we walked this long street in search of Julia & Paul Childs first Paris apartment. We did find it at 81 Rue De L'Universite. I thought it was a lovely area. Please see photo link which includes Julia's apartment where she first started cooking.

http://tinyurl.com/4n9lut

Best, Eileen
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

dlejhunt - I'm waiting to hear from the website.
ecat - Thankyou! Your pictures are lovely.
gracejoan3 - Unfortunately, I can only be in Paris 4 nights but I have my eye on the Sancerre apartment from ParisPerfect. The St. Amour you stayed in seems beautiful - is it right on the Ave de la Bourdonnais or on a side street? I can't seem to find Meursault on their website.
I'm just wondering how the Matisse apartment I originally mentioned (http://studio.provaction.com/paris/matisseuk2.html#)is so reasonably priced. It makes me suspicious. I appreciate all the feedback from Fodorites!
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 03:52 PM

The St. Amour entrance is on Bourdonnais right next door to the restaurant on the corner at St. Dominique. The Eiffel Tower was outside L/R, D/R and B/R windows!! All the buses right there on the corner to take you most anywhere you want to go...all the Constants restaurants right around the corner on St. Dominique..I had breakfast every morning at Cafe Constant. The 7th has such a nice village atmosphere. I like it the best.

Meursault is not on the website yet. It has just been completed. It is on ave de la Motte Picquet, near Le Florimond. It is on the 8th floor with magnificent views of all of Paris.

Get the address of the one on Universite and pull it up on Mappy and you will also get a picture of the building, street, etc.

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

I will definitely keep the St. Amour in mind. I guess you take the 20 percent off their website prices? Not bad. Thanks so much for all your info!
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 09:53 AM

gracejoan3,

When you make a reservation with ParisPerfect do just mention Fodor to get the 20% off? We rented from them last month and we really enjoyed our stay at their Romanee apartment.

I need an apartment for two months in Paris and I want to rent from them again. I am always afraid to ask for a discount and don't really know how to approach them. Please help.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Yes, when you e-mail them inquiring about a rental, tell them that you understand that if you are from Fodor's that you will receive a 20% discount. Ask them to confirm that to you.

Also, if you go to VRBO, you will see all of their places listed with a 20% discount. They are easy to spot when you look at VRBO by arrondissements and look at the 7th.

You should not have a problem either way. I don't know what you are looking for, but you might want to ask about the new Meursault that I have for a month mid Sept. Not on site yet, but they do have pictures and details of what will be on the site..

Enjoy...

Joan
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Joan,

Thanks, We are just looking for a one bedroom. I will be making a reservation in a couple of weeks and I am glad I read about this offer. Thank you for mentioning it, we will save a lot of money.

Thanks you again.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM

I had not looked at them on VRBO lately..I just did and the two I looked at had a 15% discount, now. It may be because it is now high season. So, it might depend on when you want to rent for the discount rate.....

There definitely is a discount....

Joan