Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever use Nextel 2000i phone system in Europe?

Jul 7th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Laura

We are using the Nextel 2000i cell phone in Europe. It has the capability to send and receive email messages. Has anyone used this sytem in England/Germany/Italy? We just got it and it has worked wonderfully stateside (with the exception of cutting out some in California) and are hoping it works as well internationally.

Also, we are trying NOT to travel with a laptop. We understand there are internet cafes "everywhere" but would like some advice on a very small, light Palm Pilot-type messaging system (preferably using a satellite and not a phone jack). Any advice??

Thank you all!

Jul 7th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Jim

Laura,
We used the Nextel 2000i cell phone last year throughout France and Italy with great success. No problems whatsoever. Good transmission and reception. I am sure it will work as well in England and Germany.
You may want to check out getting a sim card in Europe that also fits in your i2000 for use there. I think they work like prepaid cards.No charges for incoming calls. Talked to a cell phone dealer about it in France but did not persue it at the time. It may be the way to go.
Made use of it many times making reservations from our rental car etc.
Good luck

Jul 7th, 2001, 08:13 AM
lucy

We used one in France in June 2001. Sadly, we were only there one day as we got a call (on the Nextel) that my father had passed away. I will never travel overseas again without one. Just make sure you order it at least one week ahead, and to arrive if possible, two days before your trip so you have time to get used to it, set up voice mail, etc. Good luck!

Jul 7th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Jim

Laura,
I also wanted to mention to those interested that the Nextel 2000i also has a speaker phone that works very well for all to hear the conversation.

Jul 8th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Bob

Good luck! Ours didn't work in Spain, did in Brazil, but only in two places, worked part of the time in Italy. I always take a GSM with me as I KNOW it works everywhere.

Jul 8th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Jim

To Bob,
Bob the Nextel 2000i phone is a GSM phone. I think we're talking apples and oranges regarding the phone you mentioned that didn't work.

Jul 8th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Laura

Bob and Jim: At the risk of sounding "electronically challenged", what is a GSM?

Jul 8th, 2001, 08:38 PM
tom

Laura, GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) is a wireless telephone standard started as the Pan European system, but it has gained popularity throughout the world. Pan American standard is different although some companies in the U.S. use GSM standard. becuase of the difference in standard, your cell phone will not work in Europe. You can take yours to Canada, Mexico, and most Latin American countries. Nextel has phones what will work in the countries using GSM standard and in the U.S. (only on Nextel's nationwide network.)

Jul 9th, 2001, 04:03 AM
BTilke

We're about to get a Nokia Communicator. Will let you know how we like it shortly.
BTilke