Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever done a day trip to Paestum from Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Sandi

Hello everyone. I was doing some reading and taking a few notes for my upcoming trip to Rome this weekend. Became really interested in visiting Paestum. Read that it has one of the best preserved Greek temples anywhere in the world. I originally wanted to see Pompeii as a daytrip but now am leaning towards Paestum. Maybe I can see both briefly, not sure on the logistics yet. I do plan to leave Rome on a train at around 6:00 a.m. to Naples. I understand you can reach Paestum by bus or train from Salerno. Have not figured much else out about it yet. Just wondering if anyone here can share some personal experiences here. Thanks!<BR><BR>Sandi

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 10:03 AM
GAC

The Greek Temples at Paestum are the finest exemplars of this architecture in Southern Italy (along with the magnificent Temple of Concordia in Agrigento, Sicily). A day trip from Rome is doable, but tiring. <BR>There are hourly buses from Salerno's Piazza della Concordia (300 yards from the train station) to Paestum. The buses take about one hour. There are also some trains from both Naples and Salerno. I have traveled to Paestum from Salerno both by train and by bus. As you would be arriving by train from Rome, you might consider the following "all-train" itinerary:<BR><BR>Lv Rome Termini 6:10 a.m. "Eurostar"<BR>Ar Naples Centrale 7:56 a.m. <BR>Lv Naples centrale 8:15 a.m. "Regionale"<BR>Ar Paestum 9:48 a.m.<BR><BR>Walk about 1 kilometre (12 minutes) to the temples (toward the sea)<BR><BR>RETURN:<BR><BR>Lv Paestum 16:18 "Regionale"<BR>Ar Salerno 16:55 <BR>Lv Salerno 17:48 "InterCity"<BR>Ar Rome 20:30 <BR><BR>If this is too long a day trip, there is another return possibility at 14:33 to Salerno ("Regionale", Ar 15:17), Lv Salerno 16:18 by Eurostar to Rome (Ar 18:50). You can check out all schedules and fares on the website for Trenitalia. I suggest going first class at least on the IC train from Salerno to Rome, as this particular train originates in Reggio Calabria and is likely to be quite full by the time it reaches Salerno.<BR><BR>The Archeological Museum at Paestum (across the street from the temples entrance) is also well worth visiting (allow at least one hour).

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Geoff

Just to add to the advice you've already gotten, I looked at going to Paestum while in Italy in Oct. The distance and amount of time for us just was not reasonable. Walking around ruins can be quite tiring and given the train ride, we decided we couldn't do that and do it justice. I think if you have some time, a trip to stay in Sorrento over night would be easy to arrange. Rome to Pompeii for a tour (you really need a 2hr min tour and any trip to both would hardly leave you time for Pompeii at all let alonge 2 hrs.) then over night in Sorrento. Sorrento to Paestum leaving more like 8AM, lunch, after noon tour, and a longish train back to Rome for about 9PM. That would work.<BR><BR>In short you can't really think about both, and only do Paestum on a day trip if you're really prepared for the *very* early hour leaving and *very* late hour getting back.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Kay

I did a day trip to Paestum from Positano. It was a long day! While I enjoyed the museum there, the temples were all covered in scaffolding (1998.) I have been back to the Museum in Naples and Pompeii and want to revisit Herculaneum(sp) but I have no desire to revisit Paestum.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Sandi

Thanks for the opinions and info. Was wondering about something like this: <BR><BR>Take 6:10 a.m. train from Rome to Naples, arriving at 7:57. Visit the archeological museum in Naples (1 hour for a marathon viewing ?) and catch a train to Pasteum. (Don't know time schedules yet). Spend about two hours in Pasteum, skip the museum even though I'm sure it's worth seeing, but I really would be happy to see the temples in person and take some great (hopefully) pictures. <BR><BR>Then, what's the quickest way to get to Pompeii from Pasteum? I would be satisfied with 2 hours at Pompeii also. <BR><BR>What is the absolute latest train you can catch back to Rome from Naples? <BR><BR>Believe me, I'm all up for the long day. If I can spend two hours at both Pompeii and Paestum, just to get an overall view of the sites and some nice photos, I would be very happy with the day. <BR><BR>The archeological museum at Naples is actually third choice on my list, but it is pretty important to me, too. <BR><BR>Again, thanks for all the help!<BR><BR><BR>Sandi

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 02:37 PM
jahouilh

It's not impossible, and I don't even think it's such a bad idea (though almost everyone else probably would). Get to Naples at 8:15 as noted above; then take the Circumvesuviana to Pompei Scavi 8:39-9:17. Return to Naples 11:37-12:14, see the Archaeological Museum, then take the train to Paestum 14:20-15:48. Return to Rome 18:11-21:50 (change at Salerno).

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 02:38 PM
GAC

I've never known anyone as brave as yourself! Your proposed itinerary is theoretically possible, as shown below, though no one would encourage you to attempt it (unless you have the stamina of Rambo):<BR><BR>Lv Rome 6:10 Ar Naples 7:56 "Eurostar"<BR>Naples to Pompei Scavi by local Circumvesuviana railway (departures every 30 minutes)<BR><BR>Lv Pompei F.S. Station (NOT Pompei Scavi) 12:47 Ar Paestum 13:48<BR><BR>Lv Paestum 16:18 ar Naples 17:45<BR><BR>Naples to Museo Archeologico by taxi or by underground metro to Cavour Station.<BR>Museo closes at 19:30 (closed all day on Tuesdays).<BR><BR>Lv Naples 20:00 Ar Roma Termini 21:50 "InterCity" This IC train originates in Sicily and terminates in Rome, so first class seats are very highly recommended (preferably reserved)

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 02:46 PM
jahoulih

GAC and I had similar ideas, but a different order. Take your pick. I misread the arrival time in Naples in an earlier post as 8:15 when it was really 7:56; this means you could take the 8:09 to Pompeii and have an extra half hour either there or at the Museum.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 03:00 PM
GAC

Sandi: I re-read your original posting and note that you are proposing this side trip for this upcoming weekend!!! Good Luck. Italy is covered in rain, snow, ice and very cold weather, expected to last at least several more days. If the proposed itineraries in this posting are not too taxing for you, after your visit to the Museo Archeologico in Naples, you can grab dinner in nearby Piazza Bellini, then catch a taxicab to Stazione Garibaldi (underground part of Stazione Centrale)_and take the 20:58 Eurostar, which arrives in Rome Termini at 22:50. This gives you a full hour more in Bella Napoli!

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 03:05 PM
jahoulih

I think I like GAC's suggested itinerary better than mine; but I'm not sure how far it is from the ruins of Pompeii to Pompei F.S. (I've only been to Pompei Scavi.) What's the best way for Sandi to get there to catch her train to Paestum?

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 03:19 PM
GAC

The Pompei F.S. Station is about 20/25 minutes walking distance from Pompei Scavi. However, in light of the very tight timeframes of her proposed itinerary, as well as the very cold weather currently gripping Italy, I would recommend a taking taxicab from the Pompei Scavi Ticket office. Also, she should double check the train schedules if she is taking this trip on a Sunday, as schedules are often somewhat different then.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Dean

hi<BR><BR>I am a firm believer in taking some time to visit a place so I may not be the best person for Sandi to take advice from.<BR><BR>First off, paestum is an incredible site. We had a tour given by Angelo (he was just standing at teh gate tot eh site) which lasted over 2 hours and we just skimmed the surface. We did not go to the museum. Long walk involved.<BR><BR>Pompeii takes more than 2 hours just to walk from train, to entrance to arena to house of mysteries with minimal time spent looking!<BR><BR>Museo Arceologico took a 1 hour tour because of having 2 teenaged nephews with us. This was definitely not enough time. Plus how could you visit Napoli and not have true Neapolitan pizza? <BR><BR>I vote for the over night. Take the FS to Napoli and the Metropolitana to the Museo. Plan on 2-3 hours at tnhe Museo and then go off for a pizza. I loved Ciro a Santa Brigida and many on the board ahve other opinions like Trianon, da Michele etc, but be sure to have some pizza. I would then go back to the circumvesuviana and head to Sorrento (or Vico Esquense) via Oplontis and see the villa there with all its freschi. <BR><BR>The next day go to Paestum and Pompeii. You could hire a car that would pick you up at your hotel and drop you off at the train station. Anything less will not do the sites justice.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 03:49 PM
Walter

Sandi: I did it as a daytrip from Naples but wrote it up as a Rome daytrip and Ed http://twenj.com put it on his website under "Excursions". It's the same train route that GAC posted and seems to be the easiest IMO as a daytrip. Kay and I seem to be on the same page here. Next March will be my 4th trip to Pompeii & 3rd to Herculaneum & the Naples Arch. Museum but I doubt I'll return to Paestum. I enjoyed it and am glad I went but outside of the 3 Temples and a modern very nicely laid-out museum. There isn't that much to see, basically the floors and foundations of the other buildings. And I am one who loves old ruins whether it is a complete bldg or a single stone. Personally I would only consider Pompeii, Herculaneum, and the Arch. Museum in a marathon daytrip, the transport connections to Paestum waste alot of time. Regards, Walter

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Sue

Sandi, we went to Paestum using public transport in 2000. You should know that the train station isn't very convenient to the ruins, nor is the train schedule very convenient. In contrast, there are frequent buses from Salerno that practically drop you off at the temple gates. You can take a train to Salerno, then buy a ticket there from any of several competing bus companies (check the schedules when you arrive at the station, pick the most convenient.)<BR><BR>Now for my advice on the itinerary. Don't, whatever you do, try to do both Pompeii and Paestum in a day. I'm not even keen on the idea of doing either as a daytrip, although many have reported doing Pompeii as a daytrip and enjoyed it just fine. <BR><BR>I think given your time constraints, Pompeii is a simpler logistical choice for a daytrip. Good luck.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Sandi

Again, thanks to all for your thoughtful input. I realize this is a crazy question but it is a serious one as well. <BR><BR>GAC: I'm not sure where you read that I was doing this trip this weekend but this is not the case. I will not be in Rome until the first week of March. I hope the snow and ice will not remain that long! :0 ) Also, about the stamina of Rambo comment, that made me laugh. It's true. I get such a rush from being away on vacation. I can be on the go from sun-up till waaaay past sun-down, believe me. This is part of the problem I have with traveling companions. I would not be able to convince many of my friends to even consider something like this. The two who might agree to it have families and can't travel as often as I would want them to travel with me! But these two individuals are really true gems and I will treasure the times I have gotten to travel with them. <BR><BR>I was trying to figure out the best day to even attempt this. I did realize the archeological museum was closed on Tuesdays. Thanks for the heads up, though. I arrive to Rome early on a Friday morning and leave the following Thursday morning. I have an appointment at the Scavi Tour on Monday. Tuesday is out because the museum is closed in Naples. Don't want to do it on Wednesday in case something goes wrong and I don't make it back the same day. I'd miss my plane home the next day! <BR><BR>Someone here said Sundays the trains don't run as often, so that leaves Saturday. <BR><BR>I will study the train schedules some more and see if I can manage. Do you get the train tickets for each individual leg of the trip or can I get them all at once? <BR><BR>Well, there is a lot for me to consider about this, definitely. If it doesn't all work out I'll be very happy with my trip for whatever comes out of it. But thanks again for all the advice!<BR><BR>Sandi

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Sandi

I have tried to pull up the website for Trenitalia several times and I can't get to it. Is there any other way to view the information on all the different train schedules? I need to see this all in black and white to help me further decide what to do. <BR><BR>Jahouilh,<BR><BR>About the itinerary you proposed for me, I would need to visit the Museum at Naples last because it would be open longer than the Paestum site. Paestum supposedly closes one hour before sunset, and I'm not even sure when that will be the first week of March, I'm guessing around 4:00? <BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Sandi

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 10:24 AM
GAC

Sandi -- it looks like Saturday is your best bet for this itinerary. Towards the middle of January, you can double check the Ferrovie dello Stato schedules: they will change after January 10. www.trenitalia.it or www.fs-on-line.com <BR><BR>When searching, put in the exact Saturday date, since a few trains don't operate on Saturdays.<BR><BR>If it makes matters easier, you can purchase all your train tickets up front in Rome, assuming that you utilize all segments and don't decide to curtail the journey once, say, in Pompei. Each segment needs to be validated at the rail station punching machine before actually boarding. The station in Paestum is unmanned, so travelers without tickets need to purchase them from the conductor. <BR>There should be no problem with finding empty seats on all segments EXCEPT the return from Naples to Rome. Whether you take the 20.00 IC train, the 20:30 Eurostar or the 20.58 Eurostar, I would recommend a seat reservation, as these trains originate in the deep south and are likely to be quite full on a Saturday evening out of Naples. Of course, once you purchase the seat reservation, you are locked into that particular train. Alternatively, you might consider risking a non-reserved seat in first class on this segment.<BR><BR>Sue's comments about the location of the train station in Paestum and the spotty train schedules are not incorrect. However, given your particular requirements (and your remarkable resiliance), you might nevertheless be satisfied with taking the train. The station itself is a fifteen minute walk from the temples.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 11:27 AM
jahoulih

Sandi,<BR><BR>Try the Swiss Railway site, www.sbb.ch. Click on "Swiss Federal Railways" for English. You can buy all your FS railway tickets in Rome (Rome to Naples, Pompei to Paestum, Paestum to Naples, Naples to Rome), but the Circumvesuviana ticket from Naples to Pompei Scavi has to be bought separately in Naples. (The Circumvesuviana is a commuter train for the Naples-Sorrento area. I believe Walter has detailed instructions for this at the twenj.com website he mentioned.) I haven't gone to Paestum by bus, but I second GAC's description of the walk from the train station. It's 12-15 minutes down a pleasant country road. Walter is right in saying that apart from the temples there isn't that much to see at Paestum, and it doesn't take that long to look at the temples. But those temples are exquisite, and splendidly preserved, and well worth the trip (much more so, I thought, than Herculaneum, having already seen Pompeii).

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 05:48 AM
Sandi

Hey there. I got onto the Rail Europe site for train schedules, and it shows the latest Eurostar train back to Rome from Naples leaves at 20:30. Where did you guys find the schedule that shows a 20:58 train? <BR> <BR>Thanks again,<BR><BR>Sandi

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 08:18 AM
GAC

Correction to my previous posting: the Italian National train schedules (Ferrovie dello Stato) will be modified effective January 27, 2002. There will also be a fare increase of around 4.5%. If you look in the trenitalia.it website, you will note the Eurostars at 20:30 and 20:58 from Naples to Rome Termini. There is also a later train, an InterCity Night (ICN) leaving Naples Centrale at 21:40 and arriving at Rome Ostiense (NOT Termini) at 00.03. The ICN train originates in Naples, and costs less than the Eurostars (but is less convenient). The Eurostars originate in the deep south of the country, and are likely to be full (Second Class) on a Saturday evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -