Anyone drive from Munich to Luzern?

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone drive from Munich to Luzern?

We were thinking of driving from Munich to Luzern in April (4th to 9th) - any suggestions? Whats worth stopping for along the way? how long does it take? we went to Vienna and Salzburg less than a year ago so not keen onspending time in Austria - is Lichenstein good?, Luzern or Lugano - where to go ? or can we drive thru both. We could fly out of Zurich.
Thanks for helping out.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you really need a car? I live in Switzerland and have a car but when I go to the major towns like Luzern or Lugano, I usually go by train because it's easier.

Skip Lichtenstein. Small and boring. Take the train and go to Wengen two nights, Lugano two nights, and Luzern two nights. Since the airport is about one hour by train from Luzern, you can go directly from there.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi Schuler
Thanks a lot for that - will check the train details now - could you also tell me if Winderswil/interlaken is better or Luzern? we are not keen ony skiing - since coming from finland. and have kids.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, Interlaken vs. Luzern. The perpetual question.

It just depends on what you want to see and do. Personally, I'd do half of the trip in the mountains and the other half in Tessin. I'd choose one a place in Berner Oberland (Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Mürren or Grindelwald) to experience the alps and allow the kids the freedom of a small mountain village. For Tessin, I'd choose either Locarno or Lugano (I prefer Locarno but both are great) and do a few day trips from there. Tessin is beautiful in the spring because of the flowers and the "mediterranean" feeling.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:12 AM

ira_c, my husband and traveled to Luzern and the Berner Oberland last August. We absolutely loved the Berner Oberland .. loved it .. nothing like it!! Afterwards we drove to Luzern .. and it just didn't even compare. We walked around town and took a boat trip out on Lake Luzern. But once you see the Berner Oberland nothing compares. I would take schuler's advice and do half of trip in alps and half in Tessin.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Schuler and Katzen - really appreciate your help - and am taking your advice and doing 3 nights in Wilderswil and 2 in Locarno/Lugano (havent finalised a cottage thre yet-still looking) Is Wildersil ok (saw a nice cottage on the internet there for 300 chf/nite) oor would you say Wengen/Lauterbrunnen etc better?)? Skipping the drive altogether - and Munich for now - will fly into Zurich - and hire a car still, i think! Just love the help and info you get on this forum-
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi
one more query (the more i know, the more confused i seem to get) - 3 days in Berner Oberland and 2 days in the Tessin area or the Lake Geneva area??? Which between the latter two?
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 03:11 AM

Hi ira c,

Just a few notes --

First, did you know that many spots in the Berner Oberland do not allow cars? Places like Wengen and Muerren, and the peaks of the Schilthorn and Jungfrau can only be reached by train or gondola. Usually folks take the trains everywhere; I bet your rental car will just sit in a garage somewhere.

There is a train station at the Zurich airport, so it's very very convenient to take the train right from the airport to Wilderswil. You can find all the schedules & fares at www.rail.ch. I strongly advise you to re-think the rental car!

About your choice of the Ticino or the Lake Geneva region -- how much do you know about each? The Ticino is in the Italian section of the country, so you'll see those Italian influences everywhere -- architecture, cooking, design, and attitude. Lake Geneva of course is in the French section, so you'll see Belle Epoque architecture, French cooking & attitude. That may help you make the choice.

Another way to help you with the choice is to find some photos -- either online (google or www.webshots.com) or at a library or bookstore.

Good luck!

(for katzen -- just a giggle -- so many other beautiful areas in Switzerland. The BO is really just the beginning!)

s
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:49 AM

swandav 2000, I'm hoping someday to see some of the other beautiful places. It's funny because back in '96 I visited Luzern and fell in love with it .. nothing compared to getting off the train and seeing the lake and the alps ... then this last visit in '06 .. we visited the BO and of course now nothing compares ... and I was questioning why I fell in love with Luzern the first time around .... Someday I'll make it back!