Notices

Anyone dined at 'la caravella', venice?

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 02:22 AM
Alice

Anyone dined at 'la caravella', venice?

As Fodors doesnt have a review for it, could I have some rants and raves from fodorites? It would be for a winter meal, therefore indoors. What is the food like? $$$? Thanks.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 04:52 AM
elaine

Alice
It has been recommended several times on this message board, try doing a search right here for the past comments.
I stayed at the Saturnia Hotel which is where the restaurant is located, and I can at least tell you that the
decor is nautical, but attractive and cozy.
Also,I've never read a bad thing about the restaurant, it is considered one of the best in Venice. Specialty is seafood.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Julie

Yes, it's nice though fairly small. I like the I'l Cortile better. It's the outdoor restaurant in the same hotel. It's in an enclosed patio with an awning that they can pull over the whole thing if there's rain. I expect that they share the same kitchen and much if not all of the same menu so food quality is equal. The La Caravella is dark, wood paneled, and as someone else said, nautical. Service is good. So is food.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Surlok

La Caravella is used in cold weather, Il Cortile in warm weather. The service and food are exactly the same, wonderful, just the settings are different. They are both Saturnia&International hotel's restaurants.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 12:21 PM
John G

I have eaten at La Caravella just once, but it was very good. It is not in the same league as Gordon Ramsay, Chanterelle, or Le Violon d'Ingres, but it is probably the best in Venice if you want to eat at a "swank" place. However, I ate at some little place on the island of Burano, and the food was just as good, but much simpler, tasted fresher, and it was definitely cheaper--the point being you don't have to spend alot to get a good meal. It all depends on what you want: elegance and exceptional service vs. simplicity and good "home" cooking.