Notices

Anyone been to thermal spas in Viterbo?

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone been to thermal spas in Viterbo?

My husband and I have been staying in a small city outside of Rome for the past 6 weeks and want to end our trip here doing something a little out of the ordinary for us. We've heard and read about thermal hot springs in Viterbo and wanted to know if any of you have been. If so, how do we get there? We are staying in Anguillara so Viterbo is only a couple of train stops north of where we are, but don't know which Viterbo stop to get off at and how to get to the hot springs once in the city. Any suggestions or advice on the idea would be appreciated!
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:58 AM

Hi Gills - No personal experience, but from the map below the Terme dei Papi di Viterbo seems to be the nearest - about 3km from the town:

http://www.infoviterbo.it/fotografie...di_viterbo.htm

http://www.infoviterbo.it/mappa_terme_viterbo.htm

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve. I'm not sure if this will help since you've not been. We don't have a car and I'm wondering if public transportation goes there from the train station. Have you been to the city before? If so, what else is there to do there that would make for a nice last day?
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:47 PM

Is their a tourist office in the town where you are staying? Maybe you can call the spa and check with them? If there is a main bus or train stop in Viterbo, maybe you can take a taxi from there.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM

I have pasted a link to and an excerpt from an article which might be helpful. Sounds like they are close to town.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/08/26...6journeys.html

GETTING THERE
Viterbo is about 50 miles north of Rome. The two-hour train ride from Rome's Ostiense railway station departs hourly and costs 4.10 euros, or about $5.65 at $1.38 to the euro (www.trenitalia.com). By car, take the SS2 Cassia Bis straight to Viterbo, about one hour.

SPAS

Bulicame (corner of Strada Provinciale Tuscanese and Strada delle Terme): A 10-minute drive from Viterbo's historical center, it has four baths of varying degrees and a smattering of Roman ruins. Free.

Bagnaccio (from the S2 Cassia north, take the S7 toward Marta and turn left at Via del Garinei, a gravel road): A members-only bath, it has three pools that attract chatty and friendly regulars.

Le Pozze di San Sisto (Cassia south, toward Vetralla; 39-3286-893-884; www.lepozzedisansisto.org): About five miles south of Viterbo, its natural landscape and plush amenities brings spa lovers from all over the area.

Terme dei Papi (Strada Bagni 12, 39-0761-3501, www.termedeipapi.it): A mile or so from Viterbo, this famed spa is the most commercial of the bunch.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks vjpblovesitaly,

I ran across this article yesterday and that is what got me so interested in the thermal hot springs. We just don't have a car to get there so maybe I will try to call a tourist office and ask about public transportation. Have you been to Viterbo before? I'm now second guessing myself and wondering if we should do our last day in Rome instead or perhaps take a bus out to Tivoli. So many choices!!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:47 AM

Hi Gills - I suggest you e-mail the Terme dei Papi. They should be able to advise on public transport from Viterbo station.

Terme dei Papi
Strada Bagni, 12
01100 Viterbo

Email: [email protected]

Tel +39 0761 3501
Fax +39 0761 352451

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve. We actually just went to Rome for the day for our last hoo-rah. It was great being there at night since we hadn't experienced that yet, so a day in Viterbo will have to be on our next visit.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Maybe if you were to call a spa they can send a car for you or you could take a cab from the station.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 02:21 AM

Sorry you didnt study www.elegantetruria.com before or while you were here, its full of info on the area.
The Terme-both the sophisticated dei papi and the wild country spots are a weekly thing to do for those of us who live here.
Great places to relax after the hard work of the olive harvest.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 10:37 AM

you can find all information about thermal spa on www.termediviterbo.wiilo.it and on www.wiilo.it you can find all tourist information about Viterbo.
Have a nice holiday