Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone Been To The New Tate Modern Museum?

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 10:30 AM
Mary

Trying to decide whether to visit the new Tate Modern during my limited time in London. For those who have already been there, and although this is a very subjective question, is it "special" so as to warrant a visit? Any opinions?

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 11:29 PM
Terry

I'd like an answer to this question too, since I will be in London in Oct. and am planning to spend allot of time in museums

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 02:36 AM
Jane

I visited the Tate Modern a few months ago and really enjoyed it - but it was VERY crowded. It basically houses pieces from the major art movements of the 2oth century and also has a couple of other exhibitions. It's a massive building with excellent views of London, but if you don't like modern art then you'll hate it! It's very near the Royal Festival Hall and other places on the South Bank so you could combine it with a visit there

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 05:22 AM
lola

Hi Mary- I visited the Tate Modern a couple of months ago and was thrilled that a museum can excite people like this one does, and that the space is so exciting and well recycled. That said, I think the collection, though huge, does not compare to MOMA in NYC, where I visit frequently. If you are familiar with British modern artists such as Bacon, Kitjay, Freud and even more recent ones it will be well worth it. My favorite thing was the temporary exhibit--don't know if it's still there-- of a triptich video, about 20 minutes long, of a real birth and death going on at precisely the same moment. Everyone who saw that was blown away. I highly recommend checking out the Wallace and the new Gilbert collection at Somerset house.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 09:53 AM
David White

Mary,

The Tate Modern's interior space is facinating, on the scale of the Musee d'Orsay in Paris (both are converted buildings). The contents of the Tate are of interest IF you enjoy modern art. If your tastes are more towards Impressionism, for example, forgo the Tate and head to the Courtauld Gallery or another venue.

One feature near the Tate that you won't be able to experience is the new Millennium Bridge across the Thames. We walked across this wobbly bridge the day after it officially opened--and the day before it was closed for safety repairs.

Enjoy your trip!

David White
www.KidsToLondon.com