Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to the East-Central coast of Italy?

Jul 12th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Cheri

Has anyone been to the Pescara/Ortona region (east coast opposite Rome) that can vouch for it as a worthwhile destination? My husband's namesake was buried there and we're thinking of visiting his gravesite. However, we're hoping to have more reason to go than that!!

Jul 12th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Cheri

This is a bad sign ... NO ONE has been to the central-east coast of Italy?!?

Jul 12th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Linda

I've been there, and, to tell you the truth, there isn't a lot. There's a really nice national park (Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo, I think) in the interior. And Chieti has a pretty nice cathedral. Teramo to the north has an amphitheater and Roman ruins, with a cathedral. But the whole area around there is pretty mountainous and sparsely populated. Really pretty, but not a lot of towns. The best Italian vino di casa I ever had I had in the town of L'Aquila. A superb red, as is, I believe, much of the red wine from that region. Don't remember any beaches, so I would guess they were unimpressive, though I may be totally wet about that.

However, if you are willing to drive just a little bit, south of Abruzzo is Molise. Outside Campo Basso (the capital of the region, I think) is Saepinum, with some really nice Roman ruins. And Termoli on the coast is a really pretty small city with winding sreets. It is well worth a short visit, especially if you've been to small towns in northern Italy. It gives you a good contrast. Also, there is good swimming there, if I remember correctly.

Inland, almost on the Molise/Lazio border, in San Vincenzo al Volturno is an old abbey, with a fantastic crypt. with frescoes. Well worth a stop if you are driving Termoli back to Rome.

Hope all this helps. Have a great time.

Jul 12th, 2001, 06:31 PM
MCW

From what I've been told, that area is relatively "undiscovered," although the Brits have begun a summertime invasion of the Adriatic north of your Pescara. If you aren't there at the height of August vacation time, it might be a terrific area to explore by car. I'll be checking out the Ancona area (about 95 miles north of Pescara) in a couple of weeks, and a Touring Club of Italy guidebook has been very helpful to me (check Amazon.com). Seem to be lots of little places with interesting things to see, but you'll have to seek them out. Enjoy!

Jul 13th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Christine

We are travelling to Pescara (actually a little town called San Vito just south) in October - my maternal grandfather emigrated from there,and we are meeting relatives for the first time.

Who is your husband's namesake? His grandfather? You may want to try contacting family members still in the region.

There are a number of Abruzzo-specific websites, most of which have some sort of family history info/bboards - here are a few:
www. abruzzo2000.com
www.aziende-abruzzo.it
www.regione.abruzzo.it/turismo/en/index.html
http://www.itwg.com/rg_abruz.asp

I usually use the abruzzo2000 site - it's all in English, the boards are pretty good, and they have hotel info as well. When I posted a query about San Vito, I received a reply from a gentleman who works for the public records office - he had my family tree dating back to the 1600s, and we will also be meeting him during our stay in San Vito.

Buona fortuna!

Mar 30th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Rosemarie

We were there March 2000. I was researching family. I used the Abruzzo 2000 website already mentioned. It was helpful.I hired a professional geneologist to do a lot of the research to save time while there. Of course that is one of the reasons for the site -to sell services but that's O K with me as it also is very helpful. We were mostly in Teramo and Cample where we found relatives...wonderful !! The trip from Rome was 2 and one half hours to Teramo on a super highway. The trip to the Adriatic was 40 minutes. If one stopped halfway one can look back at snow capped mountains and ahead to the Adriatic. It was March so not prime beach weather but we could see that in the warm weather it was popular. A lot of the websites for the resort areas hotels are in German. I was told that Germans and Russians use the area and that it is referred to by some as the Russian Riviera and that it was very clean.It was too cool for me at that time but we will go in the future.I happened to love the smallness and "real" feeling of the area. Cample as little as it is has a religious site and an archeological museum....and nice people.
The wine is good too !

Apr 1st, 2002, 11:49 AM
monica

My husband's family came from Abruzzo, tho further interior. We went to Pescara for a day when we were there. It's a very new city, which makes it less interesting for most of us. We did have a most memorable meal at a little family trattoria hidden behind a tobacco shop! Can't remember the name but it's in Fred Plotkin's book (which is excellent). Sulmona, which is a few train stops closer to Rome, is a beautiful little town.