Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Anyone been to salzburg in winter? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/anyone-been-to-salzburg-in-winter-264162/)

insomnia Oct 8th, 2002 02:06 AM

Anyone been to salzburg in winter?

I will be in Europe early 2003 and I would absolutely love to go to Salzburg. I am a sound of music fanatic if there is such a thing!*smile* How will sulzburg be in winter? I have to go to london after salzburg so is there an airport there or close by?

k Oct 8th, 2002 07:06 AM

I was in Salzburg last December. It was cold but the snow was falling and it was a very picturesque "winter wonderland". We walked along the river after dinner and hiked (carefully) in the mountain above the city during the day. We also took the train to Zell am See, and then the bus to Kaprun to ski the glacier. Due to conditions up top, turned out to be quite a hair-raising experience, but that's another story.<BR><BR>To see the "Sound of Music" spots, warmer weather would be more ideal, as some of the tours are not running in winter, and the hills are not so much "alive with the sound of music" as they are hibernating under layers of snow. Still, in my opinion, anytime you are able to visit a place, especially one as charming as Salzburg, you should by all means go!<BR><BR>One more thing: gluehwien (hot spiced wine) is a must for keeping that warm glow through the cold Austrian winter nights. Also heard Cafe Glockenspiel (right on the main square) has awesome hot chocolate.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Kathi Oct 8th, 2002 11:37 AM

Salzburg in the winter is absolutely gorgeous but it is cold and can be snowy. That being said, it is one of the most charming small European cities I have seen. I was there in December one year during the Christmas markets and I have been there in summer. I'd go back any time of year. Just dress accordingly and you'll love it.<BR><BR>There is a small airport in Salzburg but nothing direct to London. You'd have to change in Frankfurt, Vienna, Zurich etc.

Art Oct 8th, 2002 11:54 AM

I Concur with above posters. I was there over xmas and new years years ago and it was bery beautiful.<BR>

Jochen Oct 29th, 2002 02:09 AM

As far as I know there ARE direct flights from Salzburg to London. See<BR><BR>http://www.salzburg.com/airport/engl/index-ns.html<BR><BR>for reference.

xxx Oct 29th, 2002 02:14 AM

Ryanair flies from Salzburg to London (Stansted).<BR><BR>http://www.ryanair.com/

MH Oct 29th, 2002 02:17 AM

Yes, Thanksgiving in 2000. It was cold, wet, snowy and slushy...I could not drink enough gluewein, to stay warm. My dog was miserable also, even with his little doggie winter coat. I live in Germany and grew up in Chicago, so cold really doesn't bother me. I just don't like being out in it, and this city is just to amazing to spend the time in your hotel room. Go and have fun, dress in layers and drink, drink and drink some more to help get rid of the chill. I had a great time and am planning a trip to Vienna this Thanksgiving.

Jennifer Oct 30th, 2002 04:40 PM

I agree - we were there for five days in January and it is one of the best trips we have ever taken. Buy silk long underwear and dress in layers as you will want to spend all your time outside. It is a magical place - enjoy!

Von Nov 1st, 2002 10:20 AM

<BR><BR>&quot;Silver white winters that melt into spring....&quot;<BR><BR>Winter in Salzburg? <BR><BR>Yesssss! <BR><BR>It was, and still is, one of my favorite things.<BR><BR>Was there a couple of years ago in mid December.<BR><BR>For this incurable romantic and umpteen times viewer of Sound of Music Salzburg was everything I thought it would be and more.<BR><BR>I had arrived by train from Munich.<BR>It was cold and crisp as I left the bohnof tourist office with instructions for finding a recommended B&amp;B. . Snow was on the ground but the sun felt good as I walked merrily along .. my pack on my back. I was humming one of the SOM tunes. It was either &quot;Do, Re Mi&quot; or &quot;Favorite Things&quot;. <BR>Before long I was in front of the B&amp;B. I opened the door and found myself in a restaurant.<BR>I asked a proprietor looking gent if he had a room for 2 nights. Nodding he told me how much, motioned for me to follow a waitress, she led me out of the elevator through windy corridors in this 400 year old inn to the room.<BR>Back at the front desk I told the proprietor I'd take it reached for my money belt...he handed me the key and said we are too busy now pay tommorow at breakfast.<BR><BR>Off I went to explore Salzburg. <BR>I did everything any respectable tourist would do. The Sound Of Music tourguide reminded me of Robin Williams with an Austrian accent. Saw all the film locales. The lake behind one of the villas (where Maria and the kids take a dunking out of the boat and emerge sopping wet in front of the Captain and Baroness) was frozen over.<BR>After seeing the church where Maria and the Captain were wed we warmed ourselves over coffee and hot struedel.<BR><BR>Visited Mozart's home..saw the violin he played when he was just a tike, had a nice dinner at the Abbey with its big steins of beer.<BR><BR>Being in Salzburg at Christmas time was frosting on the cake and magical with all the lights, decorations, and Christmas market. Howewver I think Salzburg is the kind of place that has that magic going for it any season of the year.<BR><BR>&quot;Maria. You left and didn't even say goodbye to the children&quot;.<BR><BR>You're gonna love Salzburg in winter. Have fun!<BR><BR><BR>

kate Nov 21st, 2002 09:57 AM

I've been to Salzburg twice in the winter. It is magical, but it is COLD! I'm from Chicago, and lived in Minnesota, but I have never been so cold in my life as in Austria in December/January. I think it's the dampness. That said, I would go back in a heartbeat. Just wear lots of layers and drink lots of Gluhwein! The stuff they serve at the top of the fortress was the best in town. Believe me, we sampled it all.

Vanessa Nov 21st, 2002 07:03 PM

Hi, My father has been to Salzburg twice in winter, for New Years, and he said it was absolutely beautiful. <BR><BR>He said it was like a fairytale place.<BR><BR>Also I have often heard people on this forum name Salzburg as the most beautiful place they have been to, so I can imagine with snow it would be stunning. Very cold though!<BR>Have a wonderful trip.<BR>Vanessa