Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   anyone been to datca (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/anyone-been-to-datca-219702/)

phil May 13th, 2002 12:21 AM

anyone been to datca

has anyone been to the datca peninsula in turkey, between mamaris and bodrum

Ian May 13th, 2002 01:13 AM

I have done the coast from Marmaris to Antalya there and back about 5 times if you are interested in this area too.

Ian May 13th, 2002 02:32 AM

I have done the coast from Marmaris to Antalya there and back about 5 times if you are interested in this area too.

sinan May 13th, 2002 06:12 AM

Dear Phil,<BR><BR>Firts Datca is not between Marmaris and Bodrum. Datca is a peninsula and has special road that you have to carefull if you are planning to drive there from Marmaris (there is only road from Marmaris) This town really small and peacefull town.<BR>If you need more information please don't hesitate to write me to my e-mail above (FREE OF CHARGE)<BR>HAVE A NICE HOLIDAY

ppp May 13th, 2002 08:18 AM

A long time ago, in July, we had planned to drive from Marmaris to Dat&ccedil;a village, stretch it to Cnidos and then take a ferry from the penninslula to Bodrum, to return in the evening using the mainland route. Our priority was to visit Bodrum. Since we got conflicting reports on the Dat&ccedil;a-Bodrum ferry, we ended up deciding to take the mainland road back and forth. As it turned out, had we risked we would have been successful (in finding a ferry to Bodrum). The best way to visit Cnidos, from either Marmaris and Bodrum, is IMO by boat ...

Tdmessick Aug 18th, 2009 04:42 AM

With so many cities along Turkey's western coast, would Datca be in anyone's top 4 to see?

otherchelebi Aug 19th, 2009 01:43 PM

Datca could have a place in top 4, if you are on a honeymoon, or if you want a calm, quiet trip, staying at simple lodgings on the beach at small scenic bays (like Hayit Buku), or if you like to drive to discover secluded coves, and terrific scenery in out of the way places, or if you want to buy thistle flower and sage honey and fresh almonds, or if you want to stay at an apart hotel built with touches from Gaudi (hotel Chateau Triopia) as yor base for the drives mentioned and the one to Cnidos.

It is a terrific place for sharing and discovering with a loved one, including dinner on the pebbles of the beach under the moonlight.

linawood Aug 21st, 2009 11:02 AM

We are looking for a quiet 3 days in October someplace off the beaten path and between Fethiye and Selcuk. We've been thinking about Datca and Selimiye. I'm glad to see comments about Datca and hope someone may post about Selimiye. Thanks!

otherchelebi Aug 21st, 2009 12:15 PM

Selimiye is off the road to Datca from marmaris, towards Bozburun. We passed through it and did not feel a desire to stay there, although it looked fine. Bozburun seemed more interesting, although a longer trip. Selimiye also has some nice, scenic bays and reasonably priced lodging. If you do not have a car, you can spend time hiking in addition to swimming, or taking short boat tours. It is not one of the tiny places I mentioned on the former post, like Hayit Buku, which is very quiet, but there is not much going on at night either.

adrienne Aug 21st, 2009 12:29 PM

tdmessick - did you register here to bring up a 7 year old post?