Anyone been to Clarence Hotel recently?

Old May 9th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone been to Clarence Hotel recently?

I was thinking of staying at the Clarence Hotel our last night in Ireland; our 20 something daughters are big Bono fans and thought they would enjoy that. Got a good rate quote, but have read reviews on Trip Advisor that really trashed the hotel. Would love some first-hand comments from those who have stayed there recently.
Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:06 PM

This hotel is apparently in Ireland. In Dublin, perhaps? http://www.theclarence.ie/

I haven't been there yet....

If you've not done so already, try typing "Clarence and Dublin" into the text search box.
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Will be in Dublin this summer, and also read the negative Trip Advisor reviews. Ended up booking the Westin Dublin, good reviews, and a great location.
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:22 PM

I have a reservation for the Clarence this summer which I'm not ready to give up yet. I did a rough tally of the ratings and note that while the 2006 ratings so far have averaged about 2.5, the 2005 ratings from May onwards average more like 3.5. That might be indicative of a general decline in quality. But -- and while this isn't to make excuses for it -- the depressed average might just be a seasonal slump. Many hotels do underperform in the off-season, for a variety of more and less excusable reasons.

Tripadvisor would be so much more useful if one could see how critical each reviewer is personally.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

I read the forums on Trip Advisor, and one poster noted that two of the 'bashing' reviews had mentioned the same person by name, which seems a little suspicious. Maybe someone has an ax to grind? It's hard to believe a hotel with the reputation it has would let things go that poorly. Little Mtn, if you go this summer, please post your thoughts here upon your return.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:30 AM

I live in Dublin, and i've never heard bad reports about the Clarence, but for my money I would prefer the Westin any day, its really nice.