Anyone been to Burg Hausen recently?

May 6th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Anyone been to Burg Hausen recently?

I am watching a Flemish TV station that shows web cams from around Europe (for a couple of hours in the morning) and the city of Burg Hausen looks especially pretty. We've never been there...is it worth a week-end's visit? What to do, see, where to eat, stay?
May 6th, 2004, 08:58 AM

Yes!! I take it they are talking about Burghausen in Upper Bavaria, on the Salzach river? We were there in the summer of 2002, out of coincidence on the very day they were holding the annual medieval festival on the castle grounds. It was great!! The castle is huge (in terms of area one of the largest in Germany IIRC), and you can explore everything in it. The town down below is also quite pretty, with a nice church and a nice square. We had lunch on the square, and it was great, "Germknoedel" and all.

That whole area is nice, with pretty towns (Tittmoning, Laufen) and rolling hills with lots of lakes. Very close to Salzburg and Bad Reichenhall.
May 7th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm talking about Burghausen (on the web cam, they have it as two words with some kind of shield or coat of arms between them). It looks like a nice place to visit. Thanks for your input, chtiet! Do you have any specific recs for hotels, restaurants, stubs, etc.?
May 7th, 2004, 06:45 AM

We did it as a day trip from Munich, so I unfortunately don't have any specific info on lodging. Actually, we had intended to make it to Passau that day, but ended up staying in Burghausen almost all day for the festival. We parked the car somewhere on the square, and then hiked up to the castle and back. Our restaurant (don't recall the name) was on the corner of the square and the street that goes to the bridge over into Austria.

Maybe you can get more specifics on their webpage?
www.burghausen.de

Hope this helps!!

Search this Thread