Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Anyone been to Bolzano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/anyone-been-to-bolzano-474033/)

nancymaat Sep 13th, 2004 08:01 PM

Anyone been to Bolzano

We are planning on a day trip to Bolzano from Venice. Has anyone been there? Is it worth the trip? Thanks.

Riffic Sep 14th, 2004 03:55 AM

Been there a handful of times, but only while staying in Süd Tirol. I don't know if it warrants a day trip all the way from Venice, but if you are passing nearby (are you taking the Brenner Pass either to or from Venice?), you certainly could justify a stop for a meal, shopping or a stroll.

Anything, in particular, make you interested in Bolzano?

SloJan Sep 14th, 2004 05:40 AM

I think there are many other places that are more worthwhile to do as a daytrip from Venice. We stayed there while touring through the Dolomiti and I wish I hadn't. It isn't a bad city, it just isn't as special as many places in Italy (from a tourists perspective).
Cheers,
Jan

nancymaat Sep 22nd, 2004 09:52 PM

We were reading the guide books about nearby cities with natural beauty around Venice and since Bolzano is in the mountains, we are considering it. We are traveling with a 18 months old baby and she is most likely not going to be able to handle being in museums, churches, or other indoor tourist places for long without wanting to climb everything and touch everything. Any suggestions of what nearby cities worth visiting as day trip from Venice?

flanneruk Sep 22nd, 2004 11:03 PM

I wouldn't describe Bolzano as "a city with natural beauty". It's the commercial centre for Alto Adige, and while not hideous, it's certainly hasn't been built to show off - or even make very visible - the scenery around it.

What you might try, though, is the Renon ('Ritten' in German) plateau above it. You get the cable car from a few yards away from Bolzano station up to Soprabolzano. There's then a tiny train along the plateau, which has some weird natural stone formations and stunning views over the mountains.

Not sure if it works for a day trip (we've always gone there for weekends and stayed on the plateau), but the Renon is amazingly quiet, and there are lots of Alpine meadows: I'm no geologist, but my understanding is that the Renon is the easternmost bit of the Alps, and that the river Adige, which flows through Bolzano, is the boundary between them and the Dolomites. The only activity is walking, and saying "Gruss Gott" to everyone you pass is mandatory.

The Alto Adige regional website is one of those infuriating sites where the English isn't as comprehensive as the Italian or German version, and there's no explanation of the Renon in English on it. The URL for the Italian description is www.sudtirol.com/it/aree/renon/index.html If you're more comfortable in German, be aware that the German text on the Renon is pretty sparse too.

Trent, by the way (Trento in Italian) - the station before Bolzano if you're coming from the south - is a great deal prettier than Bolzano, though its surrounds are much less spectacular.

Steve_James Sep 23rd, 2004 01:02 AM

Nancy - Bolzano is hardly nearby Venice - it's a 6-8 hour round trip depending on which trains you catch.

I wouldn't recommend it as a day-trip.

Steve