Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone been on a city tour in Prague they could recommend??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

Anyone been on one of the city tour bus they offer in Prague? If so what and was it worth it? Was looking into a few that give you the main hightlights in Prague but also one to Terezin.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM

We took only one tour in Prague and loved it. But it was a walking tour of the old town that we picked up at the Town Hall. Lasted about an hour and a half - with about 10 people - and was great.

We find that the "half-day city tours" are typically least common denominator and you do better yourself with a decent guide book.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 03:27 PM

We were in Prague in May and hired a guide for the Old Town and the Jewish Quarter. It was a half day tour on our 1st day there and really laid the foundation for our trip. We felt a connection with the Czech people and their endurance. Milan Pelant was our guide and we would highly recommend him. This is the bio that was sent to us before the tour.
Milan is a licensed tour guide of the Czech Republic and Prague. He has worked as a tour guide for 10 years for several local companies. He can speak English, German, French, Italian. He is very informative guide with a human approach and a great sense of humor. He can bring the history alive and let you understand the fears and the dreams of local people. He was an active member of the Velvet Revolution 1989, so his stories definitely cross the borders of the guidebooks!http://www.prague-guide.info/

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM

We did two tours of Prague, one with Milan (see post above) and the other with a group we met up with at the Town Hall. Milan is a very engaging, friendly and informative guide and his personal experiences are amazing. He is very detail oriented and his knowledge of Prague is vast. My only negative, however, is that we had our 9 year old with us, and she couldn't understand him very well and the majority of his commentary went waaaaay over her head. I think Milan would be great for adults who want a very detailed tour of Prague.

As for the tour we picked up by the Town Hall, we had a very nice, older gentleman (don't remember his name). Again, he was informative, but we all had a very difficult time understanding him. My advice for the tours that you just show up for - hang around the meeting spot before the tour starts and listen to the potential guides. If you find one that you can easily understand, you will (obviously) get so much more out of the tour.

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM

We loved Wittman tours in Prague. Our walking tour of the city was with a fourth year law student who grew up under communism. My kids were fascinated by her stories. We also booked a tour to Terezin/Ledice through them which was great. It was a private tour and the guide was a graduate student and we traveled there by car.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Premient and Sylvia Whittman are the best.

Both tour companies offer tours to Terezin.

Thingorjus
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Be careful on the city tour that you get exactly what you sign up for. On a recent comprehensive Grand City Tour that I went on, the brochure was very specific that we would actually enter St. Vitus Cathedral, but our tour guide just took us up to the castle grounds and was in a rush to get out of there to make the boat tour that was also part of the tour. My advice is to take a city tour and then a separate more comprehensive tour of the Castle. Also, in my opinion, I could have done without the boat trip. It is very limited as to how far it can go and the view of for example, Charles Bridge, is much more dramatic from various points on land.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM

I can also weigh in on Wittman tours. We did a walking tour of the Jewish quarter of Prague and another day trip to Terezin. The guides were excellent and really knowledgable. Love Prague and Terezin was just an overwhelming experience but so vital to see.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:31 PM

In reviewing my notes and observations I have to say I'm very impressed with Prague Walks' Grand Walk which is 3 1/2 hours long and meets in Old Town Square and you just show up so no credit card reservations necessary ahead of time which I like in case you can't make it at the last minute. The tour I mentioned in the previous note was a bus tour that I was very disappointed in. Prague Walks' tour includes Old Town, the Jewish Quarter, walking over the Charles Bridge learning the legends of all the statues, then taking the tram up to the castle (fun with the group) and actually going inside not only St. Vitus Cathedral but also St. Nicholas Cathedral when you walk down to Mala Strana. The cost is around $28 which I think is a good deal. Following that, you should take a separate Jewish Quarter tour (usually more thorough with Wittman Tours) so you can go inside each synagogue and explore the famous cemetery. I would not suggest a bus tour because you won't retain anything as you whiz by places that only make sense on foot, and I would only recommend the Vltava boat tour only if you have the time and want an excuse to sit down for an hour and enjoy a coffee. Over the course of your stay in Prague you will learn each neighborhood anyway.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM

We used Personal Prague Guide as recommended by Rick Steves. Our Tour guide was Barbora Liskova. She spoke excellent English and was very personable and customized the tour to what we wanted to see. They can also arrange many various side trips. Their website is www.prague-guide.info
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 03:17 AM

in Prague I used Best Tour. They organise tours to all main cities of CR and they are really good...we loved it