Reload this Page >

Anybody Taken The Malpensa Express?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:44 AM
Rich

I will be entering & departing Europe via Milan-Malpensa. I have found a website for the Malpensa Express train service. Has anyone out there taken it? Is is nice? Do the trains run on schedule? Is there any problem with getting a train early in the morning (7a.)? <BR> <BR>Also, I am somewhat confused--In some of the things I have seen, it says that this train ends up at Milano Centrale station, while others say it ends up at Cadorna station. Which is it? <BR> <BR>THANKS!!!

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 06:45 AM
Janice

I took the express in from Malpensa last December - it goes right to Centrale. It was precisely on time, clean, warm, very nice, and I'd highly recommend it. I didn't risk taking it back to the airport upon departure because it was too early in the morning for me, and I just broke down and took a cab - but based on my experience of the quality of my trip, and the number of airline employees riding the train, I'd have to say it's probably pretty reliable. Allow plenty of time to get from the train to your airplane - it's a pretty long walk. <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 06:46 AM
Janice

Forgot to mention - the express goes through the Cadorna station (stops there) and then on to the Centrale. I'm not sure if, on the outbound, it stops at Cadorna and if you can board there. A little bit disorienting, we weren't sure that it was the right Milan station - so we just didn't get off the train, and we were fine continuing on to Centrale.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 10:14 AM
Rich

Janice: <BR> <BR>Many thanks for your input. <BR> <BR>Anybody else have a similar/different view? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 12:10 PM
elaine

Janice <BR>I had been under the impression that the Malpensa Express train didn't go to Milano Centrale. I'm glad to hear that it does. <BR>Can you think of any advantages/disadvantages of this train vs the bus from the airport? Not worrying about time lost on the bus in road traffic comes to mind, but anything else? Does it have a frequent schedule?

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Janice

I have a feeling it ran once every...hour or so? I know we waited a little while, but not excessively. I opted for the train because my hotel was really close to there. Plus there's no worry about traffic. From what we've seen of the people debarking from the bus, it didn't look like it was airconditioned, maybe? The train was very comfortable - and you didn't have to go outdoors to get to it, and it was easy to find. Clincher for me was that if you flew AlItalia, the train was free!

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 12:31 PM
Paulo

Rich: The Malpensa Express started operation in May 99, six months ahead of originally schedulled. Once my last trip to Italy was in summer 77 I obviously didn't have the chance to ride it yet. <BR> <BR>The Malpensa Express belongs to the Ferrovie Nord, a private business which has nothing to do with the Ferrovie dello Stato (FS). The service is meant to commect Malpensa to the Stazione Nord (also know as Cadorna as Janice points out); trains every 30 minutes, 40-min ride, with a couple of stops in between (which are increased at certain times of year). There are plans to decrease the trip time down to 30 minutes in 2003. If you care for info directly from the source, visit <BR> <BR>http://www.ferrovienord.it/webmxp/in...rvizio-ing.htm <BR> <BR>Unless their page is way outdated, as you may see, from Stazione Nord to your hotel or Stazione Centrale one would have to take a taxi or the subway (BTW, there is no FS train service between both stations). <BR> <BR>Regarding your questions, according to comments in this and other forums, yes, it's a nice train, it runs on schedule, no problems getting a train after service starts (6:30am in summer, later otherwise). If your destination is Milan (except possibly for a hotel very close to Stazione Centrale) this mode of transportation is much better than the bus shuttle from the aiport to Stazione Centrale. If your destination is Stazione Centrale to pick a train, the bus shuttle is a better option. <BR> <BR>Janice: Your input got me puzzled ... excuse me but it just can't be! This would be the dream of thousands of italians and foreign visitors wanting to shuttle all the way between the aiport and the central train station by train. You're the first and only one to report having done this! <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 12:42 PM
gayle

Hi Rich, Paulo is definetly correct. There is no way the train goes to Centrale. It only goes to Cordona. I know because we flew into Milan in April and had booked a hotel via the internet opposite Centrale station so that I could get there easily and then found that I should have found one near Cordona as that was the station (and only main one) that the Malpensa Express goes to! We caught the subway to Cordona to hook up with the Malpensa when leaving. Great train, goes every 1/2 hour at least and you should have no problems. If you have flown KLM the ticket used to be free from the airport in. As from end April you get a discounted ticket if you show your airticket when purchasing. This train is the easiest way to get into the City and the station is directly under the airport, so no hassles. Good luck - Gayle

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 12:52 PM
gayle

Sorry, forgot to add -(to Elaine) that the trains as Paulo said are modern airconditioned and privately owned, so very comfortable (mores so than a local train, which is nice after a long flight) They are built specifically for airport/city transfer and so are designed with large luggage holders at the doors of each carriage for everyone to stack their suitcases. The main advantage besides price is as you guessed no traffic hassles and so you can estimate your time of arrival with confidence and so not have to leave hours early in case of traffic jams. As Janice mentioned about the free train tickets if flying with AItalia (or KLM) as of April/May there is a charge. - Gayle

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 12:57 PM
elaine

thanks, my interest was piqued solely because of reading for the first time that the M.E. train went to Milano Centrale, and I thought as Paulo said that it would be a wonderful boon to weary travelers arriving at the airport and heading for a train at Centrale to go elsewhere. <BR>I will save the information for the trip when I stay in Milan for a while. The stazione Nord is not too far from the Duomo, right? <BR>thanks

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 01:40 PM
janice

Okay, everybody get in line to beat me to pieces, because I was really quite wrong. My boyfriend assures me that we changes trains at Cadorno and took the subway the rest of the way to Centrale - it must've been pretty painless, because I didn't even remember it. There IS, however, train service to Centrale from nearby the airport; you have to take a shuttle bus to a train station close by that goes all the way to Centrale. <BR>Man I hope nobody made any major travel plans based upon my mistake advice - I feel terrible!

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 02:06 PM
Paulo

Yes, Janice, there's a train from Gallarate to Milano Centrale. But train frequency is low and chances are that, besides the luggage handling nuisance, that the total trip will take more than taking the bus shuttle. If one arrives just in time to get the 1:21pm, 2:21pm; 4:21pm; 6:21pm or 8:21pm train out from Gallarate, this may be faster than the bus. And don't feel bad ... there's nothing to it, realy! <BR> <BR>Yes, Elaine, the Cadorna station is much closer to the Duomo then Centrale. Very close to this station, are also the Castelo Sforzesco, and to the south, the Sant'Ambrogio, San Lorenzo Maggiore and Sant'Eustorgio romanesque basilicas (very little visited), the Cenacolo at Santa Maria delle Grazie and the Navigli district (very lively and fun for eating/hanging out at night, lined with boutiques, bars and restaurants). Definitively a much better place to be lodged than close to Stazione Centrale. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 05:08 PM
Rich

WOW! THANKS for all of the helpful responses! Also, many thanks to those of you who mentioned that some airlines offer free transfers on the Malpensa Express. I am flying TWA between the US & Europe, and Austrian Airlines within Europe. I will contact both to see if they also offer a similar arrangement. If they do, I'll post it!

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:30 PM
gayle

Hi Rich, its worth asking your airlines, but I don't think so. The reason that Alitalia and KLM were free or discounted was because the Alitalia had shares or owned the Malpensa Train (and KLM at that stage was a partner airline, which I think now has disolved.) good luck. -Gayle

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 04:53 AM
topper