Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anybody know where to rent a "topeta" (small boat) in Venice?

Notices

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am trying to decide between two apartments in Venice. One of them has a "topeta" that you can use, but I would prefer to rent the other apartment that I found in Dorsoduro. But, where do I find a boat to rent that is not terribly expensive? Anybody with experience in this area?
Maria
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:52 AM
ira

Hi M,

Are you sure that you want to drive a boat in Venice?

Are you experienced?

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Maria, I, too, have thought about this, but never pursued it. I think it would be great fun and await further replies.

Ira, Upon reading your post, I immediately flashed on Jimi Hendrix. Thanks for the moment. Woody
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Maria there was a grat thread here written by a woman who rented a houseboat and stayed on it for awhile. It is possible that this poster's name was Elvira.

Try to see if you can find her report..it was very good and very thorough. And very funny.

Give this link a try; you may have to get the boat in Chioggia, not far from Venice:

http://www.nautica.it/charter/venice.htm
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Hi
There are many organizations for boat rental in Chioggia or at Venezia Lido.
The problem is that only residents can sail in Venice (or you need a special permit).
In Italy you also need a sailing licence to drive any boat with a motor.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,
Hi Ira - no I can't drive a boat. But my commercial fisherman brother is an expert and I almost have him convinced to go with us to Venice. One of the apartments that I am looking at has a "topeta" that the guests can use. I would NOT use it if my brother was not there. Are you kidding? So, I even made reservations for my brother and his wife using my miles account. He has until tonight to decide what to do because I have to decide on the apartment. I will let you guys know what we are going to do. My impression is that it would not be very easy to rent a boat in Venice.
Maria
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Just give us your brother's phone number and we can call and convince him!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Hi Maria, it seems to me that rented boats cannot be driven in the Grand Canal during "business hours" if memory serves me right. Also where would you moor the boat if you wanted to stop at a restaurant etc? I would sure ask a lot of questions of the hotel that offers the boat as part of their rental agreement. Or any boat rental company of course. I am certainly not familiar with renting a boat in Venice..but again it just seems to me that friends in Italy some time ago mentioned restrictions. Best regards and enjoy beautiful Venice!!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM
ira

Hi M,

If your brother is going, by all means rent the apartment with the boat.

Anybody can stay in an apt, but you will be able to roam the canals of Venice at twilight in your own private motorized gondola.

Lucky you.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi all
There's more to the story. The apartment that I have "on hold" for two days is owned by an Italian Contessa (you have to call her Contessa or she gets upset). My husband and I were planning this trip to Italy & then Switzerland & then we ran across this Palazzetto & there were some comments from guests about renting the Contessa's "topetta", and they said it was great but that they recommended you have experience with motor boats. Well...we don't. Then I thought about my brother Alfred (the fisherman...well actually he catches clams). So, I called him on Monday & he was out in the middle of the Atlantic in NYC & I asked him if he wanted to go to Venice w/ us, etc. He said: "Call my wife". He was going home Tuesday afternoon. So I saidquot;So I have until Tuesday afternoon to convince Jan to go to Venice with us". Well, he thought, no way, Jan was going to go to Venice in May. The next day he gets a call from his wife Jan telling him: "Alfred, I want to go to Venice with Robert and Maria". And there we are...The Contessa is holding the apartment for two more days & we will see what happens. Because I already have this other apartment that I have to cancel (one bedroom).
Anyway...somebody mentioned Elvira and "ham tacos"...I found the edited version of her post. It is still long. See below:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34646256

I will have to ask the Contessa re the Grand Canal rules, etc. I will get back to you guys.
Maria
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

The post re Elvira is how she rented a house boat in Venice with 6 other women and they did not have any experience! It's really funny.
Maria