Reload this Page >

Anybody heard of Heilighausen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 12:48 PM
alex

I'm trying to find the town that some of my <BR>ancestors came from. It was a part of Germany <BR>at the time (1849), but is now in the Alsace area of France. And it may not even exist anymore! Or it could just be too small to be on any maps -- my great grandfather was a farmer. I'm hoping that some the travellers who enjoy the off the beaten track may have driven through or heard of it. Or if anyone knows of someone I can contact to make inquiries. I'd appreciate any advice! I'm going to Europe in 2 months and am planning a stopover in Strasbourg to investigate! Thanks!

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 02:49 PM
wes fowler

Alex, <BR>There is a Heilinghausen in Germany just southeast of Wurzburg (which is a far cry from Alsace!) There is also a Heiligenberg in Alsace north of Colmar, southeast of Nancy. It's located west of Route A4 off Route N420. Let me rattle through some of my more detailed maps - I'll see if I can find more specifics.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 06:52 PM
Rod Hoots

Check out mapquest.com. <BR>

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 09:04 AM
topper

!

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 09:33 AM
alex

Thanks Wes! Although now I'm confused! The immigration record (I have a photocopy from Galveston, Texas) definitely says -hausen. But I guess I'm going from word-of-mouth that they originally came from the Alsace area. (which works from a historical perspective -- 1848 and the failed attempt to bring back Napoleon plus the large movement of German settlers to Texas) Hmm. I'll have to doublecheck with my mom. My great grandfather's brother also came, but from a different city. Unfortunately it's too hard to read -- can't really tell much except that it's something like Hxxpxx(x)? (with no other ascenders or descenders). The record is in very fancy longhand. But thanks for checking for me!