Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Anybody else ever feel this way before a trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/anybody-else-ever-feel-this-way-before-a-trip-197631/)

jim Apr 11th, 2002 11:17 AM

Anybody else ever feel this way before a trip?

Maybe it's just Fodors overload, but I feel kinda bummed. Mr trip is about 6 weeks away and to be honest I am not really looking forward to it now for some reason. Maybe I got fixated on the negative postings here: Beware of the gypsy pickpockets, Drive - Dont drive, insurance or waiver, ATM vs travelers checks, friendly natives - they'll all hate you, what to pack, etc etc ad nauseum.<BR><BR>Usually I get depressed when I come home from a trip not before. Just don't know whats wrong with me.

Rosa Apr 11th, 2002 11:23 AM

Welllll, it wasn't Fodor's fault, more that I had a lot going on in my life, but I really wasn't very up for my trip to Portugal last year. Just the thoughts of the flying, finding my way around, all that just seemed to much.<BR><BR>Turned out to be one of the best trips of my life!!! <BR><BR>Good luck, and if you give us all your vacation location, I'll bet you'll get some rapturous reports!<BR><BR>

John Apr 11th, 2002 11:25 AM

Hi Jim,<BR><BR>My wife (detailed planner) and I (generalist) both can get that way at times. <BR><BR>However, once we hit getaway day and get on the plane the excitement is back.<BR><BR>As for negative comments . . . it's just information/opinion - the experience you actually live is the proof in the pudding. Relax and enjoy your trip.<BR><BR>

Sheila Apr 11th, 2002 11:30 AM

Well, I leave on Saturday and, as always, I'm too tired to be excited. It's 8.30pm and I'm still in the office. I haven't worked less than....oh blast, fill in the blanks. One thing is for sure; I NEED a holiday!!

xxxx Apr 11th, 2002 11:30 AM

I take about three to four trips per year and notice that after the planning stages are over I race off to plan the next one before I have taken the upcoming trip.<BR><BR>Often times I have taken the trip thousands of times in my mind (during the planning stages) and feel that I need a new destination to think about. In my planning you have all these wonderful ideals of how the trip will unfold, romantic moonlight strolls on the Med. surf, exploring the cobbled maze of some medieval town after dark, etc. Then once on a trip you ideal dream didn't include the sore muscles of walking all day, long lines of the museum, or rain on the Med. coast. <BR><BR>The trips I enjoy the MOST of always the ones I think about the least. The love the trips I don't expect much from. <BR><BR>I went on an Alaskan cruise and have heard rave reviews about the trip for years. A year before hand I began to plan, live the ideal vacation in my mind over and over, and then was only let down on the trip. In hindsight the trip was great, but I measured it with my first time to the Canadian Rockies when my expectations were not as high and my suprise went through the roof. I spent months thinking about holding my wife under a moonlite Alaskan sky on a ship, then in reality we kissed and quickly raced inside to warm up.

nospam Apr 11th, 2002 11:32 AM

Funny, but I felt that way, too. It was my first (and long-awaited) trip to Europe to boot! I couldn't explain it- not to myself nor to my friends who couldn't understand why I wasn't terribly excited. I was excited when I planned the trip, but as the departure date inched closer, my anticipation had waned and a depressive reluctance took its place. I ended up being homesick during the first few days of my trip. But I got over it and enjoyed the rest of my time in Europe. I still don't know why I was so depressed. Maybe it was because I'd be far from home, from things familiar. I'd also become fixated with pickpockets and other negative things. I think it's all in your attitude and how you approach your trip. If you think only of the positives, the exciting things you'll experience, that might help.<BR><BR>Good luck and have fun!

fiona Apr 11th, 2002 11:33 AM

Jim and Sheila<BR>where are you off to? <BR>Jim, look forward to it! I'm very envious - just got back Monday from mine!

Marilyn Apr 11th, 2002 11:35 AM

I usually have one down day when I'm there wishing I were home, but I get over it quickly. Right now my sister who is going with me in 2 weeks has so much going I think she wishes she weren't going. She's in the midst of moving and her teenager is having health problems. M

jim Apr 11th, 2002 11:40 AM

Italy - Rome Venice and Siena.<BR>Everything is set including all lodging reservations and car for three days.<BR><BR>Did London last year, and couldn't have had a better, problem-free trip. Did the same basic planning for months before hand, had an itinerary planned down to the minute, but for some reason, I am just feeling a little underwhelmed this time.

fiona Apr 11th, 2002 11:54 AM

jim<BR>I went to Rome for the day in February(leaving and returning Aberdeen the same day). We didn't see the Vatican but saw most of the other sites. It was brilliant. You'll love it!

Sheila Apr 11th, 2002 11:58 AM

Lesvos, Greece. Trip report to follow

Witby Apr 11th, 2002 11:58 AM

Jim<BR><BR>Don't worry about it. Once the date comes closer you'll probably get more excited. Relax.

fiona Apr 11th, 2002 12:02 PM

Sheila<BR>is it Molyvos by any chance? We have thought of going there. Ended up last October in Lindos, Rhodes, which looks fairly similar. Would be interested to hear how you get on. Have a good holiday!

Cass Apr 11th, 2002 12:14 PM

I definitely have a period during which I feel that way before a trip. I think it's partly that once you've navigated all the planning/reservations, etc., which is pretty exciting, it begins to dawn on you that you'll also be having to cope with the hassles of travel -- which you had temporarily forgotten in the first wave of anticipation.<BR><BR>I often get into a seriously negative frame of mind within a couple of weeks of the trip, too, finding myself asking "why am I doing all this? I could just go to the beach with a lot less hassle." From that point until I buckle into my seat on the plane, it's a push-me-pull-you between dread and anticipation---between being overwhelmed by details and arrangements and worries or ready to explore and experience the new stuff. I figure, the more I seem to balk at moving out of my comfortable living room, the more important it is that I do just that.<BR><BR>Hang in there. Get the loose ends tied up but otherwise forget about the trip until you have to pack.

Sue Apr 11th, 2002 12:23 PM

I often get depressed usually a couple of weeks before a trip, often because I have so much to do, I'm so comfortable at home, the weather has been beautiful, etc. (I think the waiting is sometimes off-putting when you have your trip all planned out.) But my trip to Paris is Sunday and I'm finally all jazzed! My taxes are done, the weather is hot! (so I'll be glad to get away), and I actually have three whole days to get ready (spent all morning packing, trying to remember all the little details)... I bet your enthusiasm will return when you realize that you have no idea of what a great time you'll have--remember, it's an adventure. Don't forget to give us a trip report!

x Apr 11th, 2002 12:46 PM

I definitely empathize. For me it's info overload. I am obsessed with finding every possible detail about my destination on the internet, and it's overwhelming! And this message board is to blame too LOL. Yesterday's post about buying the perfect waterproof raingear now has me stressing, visiting every store in town and every apparel website on earth. Wasn't life simpler before the internet!

john Apr 11th, 2002 12:50 PM

Jim--I'm glad you said your trip is to Italy, bacause I can surely offer a word of encouragement. I had been to Rome YEARS ago and was underwhelmed (mainly bacause I was getting the Flu). But we went to Northern Italy this past September for three weeks and HAD A BLAST--took the QE2 home! We do three or four international trips a year,but Italy--esp. Florence/Venice/Cinque Terre/Milan/Lake Como were wonderful surprises. Just to be in those cities and take in all the art, just to eat the wonderful food, just to let the beautiful countryside pass you by from a car or train. You are so lucky!!! I'm ready to plan 3 weeks in Southern Italy now. Have a wonderful trip!

Sue Apr 11th, 2002 01:01 PM

It's less than 24 hours to go and I just looked at my 'to do' list, and I'm wondering why am I doing this? But once the plane takes off I stop worrying and take what comes.

Shadow Apr 11th, 2002 03:29 PM

Jim-from someone who has no trips planned-that's a better position to be in than no trips to look forward to :)<BR>Being a woman I incorporate shopping for new clothes/needed supplies for the trip and that gives me more excitement.<BR>I agree with the others who say that as it gets closer you will get more excited.<BR>The only thing about traveling I don't like is the flying. And, I never get homesick-that is why I travel-to get away and see different things. I get depressed coming home too-took me a long time to get over the trip I planned and went on last summer with 10 of us. <BR>Please just have a wonderful trip and let us all know about it when you return! <BR>Shadow

Faye Apr 11th, 2002 03:57 PM

I always feel exactly the same way before a trip, like Cass said above. I am ready for the feelings now though and just go ahead with my plans. I think I could just as soon say "oh never mind" and stay home, or if it was cancelled by other circumstances I would just shrug. It also continues on the plane, because I hate to fly and now I am also afraid to fly. But I am going! I am planning a trip to Italy right now.