Anybody bought a Venice Card online yet?

Mar 25th, 2002, 06:34 AM
jim

Anybody bought a Venice Card online yet?

I have been trying to access the www.venicecard.it site all weekend, and the only thing that seems to work is the lenghty introduction page. Has anybody had any success using this site? Any word on the English version? How about a working phone number?

Mar 25th, 2002, 08:52 AM
elaine

jim
Are you sure you want a Venice Card?
Feedback on it so far is that it's not worth it. Advice I've read so far is to buy a vaporetto pass and pay individually for the museums.
From www.veniceword.com ( a website that promotes tourism in Venice) March 2002: " Venice Card, a new style of tourism for the city. First, let's say it is not an obligatory card: it SHOULD save you money and time, avoiding queues for buses tickets and toilets tickets; but you can enter the city without it.
In fact it is a card (the tourist can book it in advance, at least 48 hours before) with which people can enter the museums (ONLY THE ONES MANAGED BY THE MUNICIPALITY), use the public toilets (SOME!) and the municipal means of transport ( water buses) without standing in queue. There are two kinds of Venice Card: Blue and Orange. The Blue Venice Card is for toilets and transport, the Orange one also for Museums. The cards have different periods of validity: 1 day, 3 days and 7 days. Booking: Call center from 8 am to 7.30 pm: +39.041.2714747 Here is the opinion of one visitor to Venice:
"My wife and I have visited Venice from 2 to 9 March. At our arrival we both purchased an orange Venicecard. However, that information turned out to be downright misleading: the information suggests free access to all museums and public toilets. Not until after we purchased the card did we find out that it is valid for a limited number of museums only, which may not necessarily be the ones you prefer to visit. Moreover, it is my impression that the personnel at the museums has not been informed adequately: we had trouble in getting access to the Murano Glassmuseum. The next disappointment came when we learned that some of the public toilets do not accept the Venicecard. You will understand that I am a bit pissed off! The price difference between a one-week ACTV ticket and the blue Venicecard is 10 euro, equivalent to - as I learned - TWENTY (!) times access to ANY of the public toilets. The price difference between the orange and the blue card is 17 euro. Here - for senior people - the moneysaving starts after visiting three of the LISTED museums. All in all it is my impression that the Venicecard is designed to bring extra money to the municipality rather than to saving money to the visitors. My advice to future visitors to Venice will be to buy an ACTV-ticket (vaporetto pass) only."

Mar 25th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Jim

Thanks.
I have also read similar comments, and wasn't too worried until an article in the Sunday Denver Post newspaper travel section, indicating a cutoff at 30,000 visitors per day to be instituted this summer. Since I am traveling in June, it would be something of a catastrophe if we were'nt allowed to use the public transportation in Venice. As has been stated in so manh ways in this forum, cost is somewhat immaterial to peace of mind.

Mar 25th, 2002, 09:57 AM
kavey

I have read information on various sites (all kindly provided by Elaine, thank you) and the most specific any of them get is to suggest that it MIGHT be introduced after Easter.

I am relying on this, since we are going shortly, but I can see it doesn't help you Jim.

However, from reading the sites it seems that the mandatory introduction of the card has been delayed numerous times and may still not be in force by this June.

I would advise waiting a little longer to see if this firms up.

I will certainly try and find out anything during my trip there but no promises... I know that in Italy, like in much of Europe (my own country included), it can be hard to get a straight answer from officialdom!

Kavey

Mar 25th, 2002, 12:41 PM
topper

ttt

Mar 25th, 2002, 12:45 PM
elaine

Hi
It's my understanding that the purpose of the Venice Card is to restrict/discourage daytrippers in Venice, those who get off buses and cruise ships. Many locals feel apparently that the wear and tear and crowding from daytrippers is not offset by whatever money they do or do not spend.

From today's veniceword.com newsletter:
"Still much confusion about the venice entrance ticket. As you'll
read, it will be paid from tomorrow on by tourists reaching Venice on
bus
tours. Our city needs money: but tour operators and bus companies fear
this
will affect bus tours too much...
From today on, March 25th 2002, Venice becomes a kind of live
museum with an entrance ticket. Every tour bus that will arrive in the
Municipal area of Venice have to pay a 150 Euros ticket. It's about 3
euros
per head. "It's no a closing system - said the Municipality - but a
plan
for making the tourists pay the costs that now are payed by the
residents".
This new entrance ticket will make the Venice Municipality earn 9
million
Euros.
150 Euros is the price for a bus parking in Tronchetto island, if the
parking is in Mainland the price is 130 Euros, in Lido island "only"
If you book, you have a 10% reduction.
More info in our site."

Kavey, please enlighten us when you get back.

Mar 25th, 2002, 01:09 PM
kavey

I'll try.

If I am reading that quote correctly it implies that the charge is for those not staying in Venice overnight but daytrippers? But that can't be right, since independent daytrippers and overnighters will make their ways into Venice in the same way. Very confusing.

I will try to get answers if I can.

Kavey

Mar 25th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Roger

I believe Elaine's email refers to the new Venice entrance ticket, which is separate and distinct from the voluntary "Venice Card." The VeniceWord article says you only have to worry about the nominal per person entrance fee (at least for now) if you arrive by bus:

"This entrance ticket is the 2nd revolution of 2002 after the Venice Card, the other system for regulating the touristic flow that started in January. But the new entrance ticket isn't a service card, no, it's only a tax for visitors. A tax that gave rise to discontent, especially among tour operators and hotel owners. What this entrance ticket is? All the buses that will enter in the Venice Municipality area will have to pay a ticket: 150 Euros for a day, 225 Euros for two days. It's about a 3 Euros ticket per person a day. For the moment this tax is only for the buses but the Municipality probably will extend it to the train and the boats: in the future all the tourists will have to pay for visiting Venice."

Still doesn't clarify the current Venice Card issue, though. That seems to be of more concern here.

Mar 25th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Joanne

We will be in Venice in early May so I will try to check things out as well. However, it is my understanding that the Venice Card and this new fee they will be charging are totally unrelated. I too receive the Venice Word newsletter weekly and this fee for day trippers came up in the last issue or so.

We aren't planning to purchase anything but an ACTV card at this point, and hope for the best. I printed out all the info as it came out on the orange/blue Venice cards and was considering buying them, but after reading several negative posts on the forum changed my mind. Also, they are incredibly expensive.

We'll see what happens.

j

Mar 26th, 2002, 04:57 AM
elaine

thanks for clarifying, I did lump the two cards together in my mind and in my posting.
The entrance ticket is the one that is supposed to "tax" daytrippers who arrive on bus tours, and eventually, I believe, those who come in on cruise ships just for the day.

The Venice Card is the voluntary one that is marketed as providing a good deal for tourists on museum entrance fees and vaporetto transportation, but like many tourist passes sold in many cities, it doesn't seem to be a good deal at all for many people.

Mar 26th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Wayne

Although this might be a radical thought, and one that would probably get me on the Venice merchant Mafia's hit list, I think the day is coming when the only way people can go into Venice is if they have a valid hotel reservation. In other words, no more day trippers. This might hurt the sidewalk vendors a bit, and possibly some of the fast food places; but having been to Venice many times, I honestly feel that daytrippers are robbers---they rob the city of its ambience; they rob the residents of their peace; they rob the overnight visitors of an opportunity to enjoy the city without being trampled; they rob the entire "commune" of Venice by taking much more than they give. The admission ticket for day tripper buses et al is only a beginning; more must be done and (I think) eventually will be done or Venice will turn into a cheap and deteriorating version of Disneyland.

Mar 26th, 2002, 06:23 AM
ppp

I´ve seen this film elswhere. Quite a few cities in the world have the same problem: a high number of daytrippers (let´s call them unwanted visitors) relative to people staying overnight (wanted visitors). Since visitors staying over night end up paying (through hotel, restaurant, etc taxes) what they "cost" the city, the problem boils down to "how may one efficiently charge the daytripper, the amount that he costs to the city". Note that many daytrippers don´t even spend on food. They bring "prosciutto, fromaggio, pane, frutta, birra e vino" from home and all what the city gets is the litter.

Whatever "scheme" Venice finds to deal with the problem (be it by charging an "entry ticket" or selling a card wich gives access to the holder, to a basket of services), IMO a visitor staying overnight shouldn´t worry. I´d say that the chances that such a visitor will have difficulties to visit a museum or else is nill.

When (and if) they turn buying the Venicecard mandatory, I bet that there won´t be any problems at all getting one. In other words, they won´t be a limit on the number of cards they issue daily. I also bet that they are postponing the decision to make it mandatory because they´re been pressed by the one-day tour operators and bus companies ... Charging buses is only a temporary compromise solution. They´ll get only Euro 3 per day tripper, when the cheapest Venicecard would cost more than 3 times that amount!

Mar 27th, 2002, 08:37 AM
topper

Topping for Joanne on related post