Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anybody been to Previthal spa in Granville?

Mar 10th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Therese

I'm working on putting together a thalassotherapy cure for a group of friends early next spring and was wondering if anybody had been to Previthal or spent much time in Granville?

I've done the spa thing in France before (at La Grande Motte, near Montpellier), and language is not a problem. The weather will be remarkably bleak, and that's fine too.

My question is how well the spa compares to others in France, and how convenient it would be to visit Mont St Michel (and other interesting sites you can name) if we stay at the spa hotel. Do we need to rent a car (there will likely be four of us, but we'll be pretty much staying put in Granville and environs)? I generally prefer public transportation.

Mar 10th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Top, please

topping

Mar 12th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Therese

Okay, so I'm going to answer my own post based on some web prowling. Using a French site to search (like wanadoo) was much more productive than English language sites like google.

It looks like a visit to Mont St Michel from Granville is going to involve a car, though I've not ruled out some sort of ferry deal that might combine a visit to Jersey or Guernsey and then on to MSM. In any case I'd like to see Jersey or Guernsey, so that would be cool. I can get a train from Paris to Granville, but still haven't figured out just how tedious this would be (will check the french train site).

If anybody else has any experience with this part of Normandy (seems like I noted Rex suggesting that somebody include Granville on trip through Normandy) I'd be happy to hear it. I'm very familiar with the Honfleur to Caen stretch, but never got this far west when I was there.

Mar 14th, 2002, 08:59 AM
La Reveuse

Salut Therese,

I am planning to be in France this year (Paris, Strasbourg, the south - not sure where yet), and I'd love to hear your comments on the spa near Montpellier that you visited. How were the treatments, the accomodations? Do you have any thoughts on Les Sources de Caudalie, Les Pres d'Eugenie, or any other spa/thalasso/cure centres worth investigating? I'm a regular spa goer,(mainly for therapeutic reasons, but pampering is good too!) so I'm familiar with many of the treatments/jargon etc.
Are there any day spas in Paris you recommend? I've only been to the Hammam de la Mosquee.

Thanks for you time!
(feel free to direct me toward French language sites too if need be).

Mar 14th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Therese

Salut, Reveuse.

La Grande Motte was my first European spa experience. I get massages regularly at home, and like visiting Calistoga because of the combination of great food, great wine, and great massage/hot springs, but am by no means an expert.

That qualifier out of the way, I quite liked La Grande Motte. The town is one of those officially sanctioned French resorts that were built during the 70's. Which means that the prevailing architectural style is this weird pyramidal motif, and lots of the buildings are dated. But it's still sort of interesting. There's a marina at the town centre, and everything's an easy walk. Inland a lot of space has been set aside as a park, with walking trails. Quite nice.

The hotel (for the spa) is located right on the beach (a sidewalk does separate it from the dunes), and pretty much all the rooms have a balcony and ocean view. Very nice pool, very nice rooms (the hotel is newer construction than most of the buildings in town), good restaurant.

You can check out the cures and rates at: http://www.intel-media.fr/thalasso/

Compared to U.S. spas French spas are a huge bargain---my last visit cost less than $1500 for a week's lodging and 6 cures/day, pension complete.

I'd love to hear if anybody's tried any of the thermal sites. Oh, and I still would welcome info on Granville.

Mar 14th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Therese

Forgot to mention that La Grande Motte is a reasonable cab ride from the Montpellier airport. Or of course you could take the TGV down from Paris. Lots of nice sightseeing in the area if you decide to rent a car. La Grande Motte does not have it's own railway station.