Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any Women Who Have Traveled Solo to Prague Recently?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I have traveled all over Europe solo, and am now considering a week in Prague (and perhaps some of the cities close by). However, I've read some disconcerting posts on other sites and in one guidebook about traveling there alone as a woman (P.S. I'm in my mid 30s).

I really want to go there, and I would love to hear first-hand experiences from other women who have traveled there alone recently (within the last 2 years or so).

My questions:

1. Did you feel safe overall?
2. What area of the city did you stay in?
3. Did you go out alone at night? If so, where - and did you feel safe?
4. What areas did you avoid?
5. Any tips? For example, someone told me that assertiveness is not the way to go there. Is this true? I'm rather reserved by nature, but I also tend to ask for what I want. (One book said that pubs are the traditional domain of men, and to avoid them.
Any thoughts on this?).

Thanks so much for any insights you can share.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Hi, I went to Prague last July on my own. Let me give you some background of me, I'm 25, Chinese origin, 5'2 tall, petite build (so not the type up for fighting!)

Here's the answer to your questions:
1. Yes I felt really safe, didn't feel any dodgy characters apart from once at a hotdog stand and I striked up a conversation with some student tourists straight away and the man walked away.
2. I stayed in Radisson Alcron, near Wenceslas Square, not a problem there at all.
3. Went to concerts and one night watched the World Cup semi final in Old Town Square, light until quite late due to the time of the year.
4.I didn't avoid any areas but then I spent my days in Prague and main attraction areas, no comments on nearby cities.
5. People are generally very friendly and I think I saw more tourists than local people. Like I go anywhere, just common sense and if your instinct tells you not to go somewhere, probably best not to. I'm quite reserved by nature but still managed to meet some solo travellers and local people when lazing about in cafes.

Hope my little reply shed some lights and removed all your worries.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Hi Magellan:
I went to Prague by myself in September 2006. I'm 42 years old and in reasonable shape.

I felt very safe overall. I did not see or experience any of the pickpocketing that is said to be so prevalent. I'm not saying it wasn't there, I just did not experience it. I don't really think I blended in as a native, since I did carry a backpack and would use my camera, but I didn't go the white shoes with fanny pack route, either. I did carry a small purse cross-wise over my chest (bandolier style). I don't consider myself particularly street-smart, but it seemed to me that common sense and keeping aware of your surroundings will go along way to keep you safe. I felt no sense of uneasiness using the metro or tram system, either. Not to discount other people's reports of that happening, I may have been fortunate.

I stayed in the Vinohrady section, which is out of the city center, but my pension was a block away from a metro-tram stop. I liked the area and would stay there again. It's more residential but does have some nice places to eat and little greengrocer types of shops.

I didn't go out alone at night very much, but when I did I had no problem. Most of the time was around Vinohrady. I have a problem with going out at night by myself because I feel so self-conscious about it, but that's just my own quirk. I did receive a couple looks at one pub, but not in a hostile way. My guess that I was an obvious foreigner and was in a pub that was not frequented much by tourists, so I was an obvious stranger. There were women in the pub, but I was the only one alone. I brought along my journal to write in, which made me feel more comfortable. I was never hassled by anyone.

I don't know about the assertiveness. I'm a pretty quiet individual and so being assertive is often an effort for me. I never received unpleasant service anywhere; I'd say the worst person I dealt with was stoic but not rude or mean, so I can't complain there. I spoke a little bit of Czech, so that might have helped my situation.

If you go (and I hope you do), I'm sure you'll love it. It is a truly beautiful city, and I found the people I dealt with very helpful and kind.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM

I was there last summer, but that's my third trip in about 6 years. I was a woman traveling alone.

I've always felt safe there, but I'm not timid about the traveling solo thing and never have been and have been traveling alone several decads, so I don't even think about those kind of things you are worried about -- at least not in Europe, I would in some other countries.

I always stay in the Josefov area, I like it as it's fairly central but not the most packed with tourists area, so it's a little quieter and more "normal".

I always go out alone at night when I travel and when I am at home. Yes, I always feel safe. I'm a lot older than you so don't go to young bars/clubs, maybe that's the difference. I don't think I'd be too comfortable doing that anywhere, even at home (could be just me, but I never did that even when I was younger -- go alone). I like performaning arts and classical music, so I go to good concerts, the ballet or opera, mainly. I don't eat dinner very early, either, so sometimes I may just have dinner and then go to a sidewalk cafe for dessert/coffee or wine for a few hours (people-watching, reading, etc), and that's my big night out.

I've lived in big cities most of my life, so am comfortable with and used to metros, being careful, etc. Of course you should be careful at night if you plan to go out alone. In Prague, I did not feel comfortable taking the metro very late at night because of what I read (and heard from some people, it's not myth), so if I had to take public tranportation, I took a bus or tram. I make sure to book a hotel near a metro and tram stop, and in a fairly frequented area, also. I never stay out THAT late at night (not past midnight for sure).

I don't know what you mean about assertiveness or in what situations or what that would mean. YOu have that in a section with asking about men in pubs, and asking for what you want, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you want to pick up men in bars (no judgment, that's what it sounds like), I don't know what to say about that.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great responses -

Dadaland: Your thoughtful reply actually did help to reduce my concerns. Thanks so much!

Poohgirl: I really appreciate your comments on what your experiences at the pub. I like the idea of just bringing a journal to write in. Sometimes, I just like to go have a beer or a glass of wine somewhere, so this is great info. I will also look at the Vinohrady area. Thanks!

Christina: I appreciate the bit you wrote about public transportation - very enlightening.

*Thanks also for pointing out how my "assertiveness" question reads. (That's so funny - because these two sections should have been separate - but got mashed together. My edits didn't come through when I posted for some reason).

So, just to clarify for everyone, no I wasn't referring to picking up men in bars. I was asking about being assertive in general.

With regard to the bit about the pub, sometimes I just like to stop in a place and have a drink and eat some cheap bar food - so I was wondering what the reception/atmosphere would be like in general.

Thanks again - this is all really great info. Would love to hear more from other folks.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Magellan, I was in Prague for five days in May. Now I was actually travelling with my DH but there were a number of occasions when I ventured out on my own.

At no stage did I ever feel concerned or worried. I had absoutely no problems anywhere. I never saw anyone getting hassled nor did anyone ever make an attempt to pickpocket me and I am fairly lax in relation to type of bag I carry etc - never bother with hiding money, passports etc in pouches under your clothes.

Our friends place was a good 15 walk from the main square and, although I was always with someone at night, I would have happily walked back to their place alone.

I am sure you will be alright.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:53 PM

I find it interesting that you have these questions/concerns about Prague. I've been reading and getting so much out of your thread about your trip to Madrid. When I first started planning my solo trip to Madrid (in less than a month) I was a bit concerned given all the posts about people getting mugged in Madrid, the terrible language barrier, etc. But threads like yours have helped make me feel secure about going there. And now you have the same fears about Prague. I was there on a solo trip three years ago, and I guess before I went I did also have some concerns. But it was wonderful. I felt totally safe the whole time and loved it.

I stayed in the old town area. My hotel was the Pension Avalon Tara, and it was a good price but as a solo woman I might not have picked it, now that I have stayed there. It was ok, but no 24 hour reception, so when you got back at night you had to use your keys to open about three doors and go up a few flights of stairs (turning on lights as you went). That was mildly disoncerting. Other than that it was fine. Great location so I do advise staying in the old town. I walked to everything and was out at night - way past dark, but not till the early morning hours or anything. I'm not big on bars, but I did eat in a few restaurants and went to a concert one night. Mostly I just wandered around. Charles Bridge at night in the summer is like a big party with street performers, etc. I found English widely spoken. I had a great time.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Shandy - Thank you for this great information about your trip!

hi isabel - I'm really glad that you posted something here. I think I'm feeling insecure because this will be my first trip to Eastern Europe, and because I don't personally know anyone who's been there alone - hence the post. I really appreciate your response.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:34 AM

bookmarking
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Been there 10 times in 9 years. Going again next month. Travel alone every time. Don't worry! (I'm in my 30's, also.)

Best places to stay for your first time: Old Town near the square, or right along Wenceslas Square (it is not as bad as people make it out to be, and there are always people around). Vinohrady is nice, too, but you might get lost..!Mala Strana is beautiful, but I would stay near the bridge, because the streets can get scary at night (dark & winding alleys).

Personally, I tend to avoid pubs filled with drunk Czech men. There are plenty of little cafes & bars where you'll be able to get a drink. Old Town has tons of places that you'll find charming. No need to go into scary places!

If you venture out of Prague, you can take a tour bus. Cesky Krumlov, Kutna Hora, etc. If you go into a pub in some smaller towns, you will really meet some interesting locals!! I still have vivid memories of certain people many years later.. People there are generally very nice. I am a pretty blunt person, and view myself as assertive. Get along with Czechs well..
Some of them can be nasty (you might meet some in shops, restaurants, etc), but that could be anywhere.

Basically, go & enjoy yourself. Prepare by reading guidbooks, learning some basic walking routes, and a few Czech terms. Post back with more questions when you are ready to go!! Enjoy!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

amp322 - This is awesome information - thanks so much (10 times in 9 years is pretty impressive!)Appreciate the bit about staying near the bridge. And yes, I can definitely do without dark and scary streets and pubs. I like the idea of little cafes much better.

I loved your reply - you've pretty much sold me on going Thanks
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:22 AM

No prob. Just post back when you are ready to go, so we can help you with details...

I'll be Czeching out the scene next month when I go again, so I'll have news on new hotspots, etc!

Ciao
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Magellan: I forgot to mention earlier - unless you have a freakily good sense of direction, get a hold of a detailed map of Prague. I ended up buying one on my fourth day, and it was a godsend even if it was all in Czech. Previously, maps in guidebooks have been good enough for me, but my Lonely Planet and Frommer's (I think) weren't nearly enough. Part of the fun is getting lost but not all the time!

BTW, I finally read your Spain thread. Totally excellent! I'm saving it for when I go to Spain (not exactly sure when but sometime in the next 2-3 yrs). If your Czech report ends up being half as good as your Spain report, I can hardly wait to read about it.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi Poohgirl - Thanks for the tip on the maps! I've noticed that Lonely Planet maps in general seem to leave out the little side streets (where I usually get lost).

Question for you (or for any other posters!): did you bring luggage with wheels to Prague, or did you bring a large backpack? I was wondering because when I had my luggage in Toledo (SP), the streets were cobblestone (hardcore!) and it was MURDER on my poor luggage wheels. I'm guessing some of the streets are like that in Prague - true?

Thanks - and have a good weekend.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Magellan, I have not been to Prague but I did read a great trip report recently about a solo traveler to Prague.

Here is the link if you want to check it out:

http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/triprepor...57&index=2

I also loved your Spain report, but I forgot to comment over there so I am commenting here. Looking forward to reading about your next trip!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

rialtogrl - Wow, this link rocks - thank you! I used info from the Slow Travel site for my trip to Italy last fall, but I didn't even think of it for Prague. Really appreciate it.

(P.S. Thanks rialtogrl and Poohgirl for the nice feedback on the Spain thread. All my silliness aside, I hope that it's helpful )
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 01:04 AM

This was not recent, but a few years ago....I hope it still counts? It sticks in my mind because it was my first solo European trip. I went to Prague to run the marathon!

I stayed in an apartment on Spalena 35, *just* outside of the touristy area, but close enough so I didn't feel like I was missing anything. I never had any problems. At the time I was in my mid-30s, and am Chinese, 5' 1", not overly assertive but friendly enough. I felt very safe. I didn't go out TOO late at night, but I did walk around at night and was fine. My male British neighbors, even in a group, were not fine--prostitutes would throw themselves at them on the streets at night and were quite a hindrance! We were lucky that there was a bar/restaurant in the courtyard of our apartment building, which made it fabulous to hang out in. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I took a day trip to Karlovy Vary since the Cesky Krumlov tours did not fit my schedule. This was fine. Our tour guide kept scolding me and telling me to keep my purse closed to avoid pickpockets. I kept trying to tell her that the open outside pocket of my purse was for kleenix, my nail file, and crap like that, but she wouldn't hear of it. But, I didn't have any problems with pickpockets.

On my last day, when I got to the train station, a man (who looked semi-homeless) jumped to attention and grabbed my suitcase, quickly helping me get to my train on time. and my suitcase is not light! Yeah, I was suspicious, but remember, I'm in marathon shape. Heck, he got me to my train faster than I could have myself--who cares if he was homeless. So I gave him some cash and thanked him profusely. I say...have a great time. Ahoj!
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:07 AM

Just got back from solo trip to Prague. I'm a petite 62 yr old female. Stayed in Mala Strana area. Loved the city. Never felt any concern about my safety except once. I was headed toward a church that had been moved to Prague from another country...one of the Top Ten Picks in my guide book. The closer I got, the more secluded I could tell the church was. And, unlike the rest of the city, there were no people around. I turned around and went back out of the woods. Safety in numbers...but that's not just Prague, y'know.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Melissa, do you have a link to your apartment?

I was going to go to Prague in March but then I was so enraptured with Berlin I never made it, but I want to go back to that area of the world in the fall of 2008 so would love to see where you stayed. I always prefer an apartment over a hotel. I have bookmarked this other place, in case anyone is interested, it looks pretty nice:

http://www.castlesteps.com/index.htm
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 04:14 PM

About suitcase wheels... I have a Tumi, and have dragged it over the cobblestones of Prague 10 times without a hitch. I think the wheels on it are like rollerblade standard, though. If you have cheaper luggage, maybe think twice if you are staying in an area of Old Town or Mala Strana..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -