Any way to ensure a diesel rental?

Old Jun 14th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any way to ensure a diesel rental?

I have reservation for a mid-size estate wagon which according to SIXT could be either a VW Passat Variant or a Ford Mondeo TDI. I asked if I could be guaranteed a diesel (I like the better price/litre and better fuel mileage) and SIXT stated they would note my preference but could not guarantee it. I am traveling to Germany in August of this year for 3 weeks and will drive exclusively in Germany.

Thanks!
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 09:51 AM

It's really difficult to have a particular car guaranteed. About all you can do is state a strong preference--and state it again a day before you are due to pick up the car.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 10:00 AM

Once at the airport desk, ask them what's available and insist on your wish of getting a diesel car....
It happened to me twice though, that they had almost no cars left, so there was not much of a choice....
1. at FRA Airport... where the options should be normally endless....
2. in Würzburg where they only had 1 car left......even smaller than i had booked.... I changed the car in the next larger city though, Nürnberg where i found exactly what i should have received from the start... ( and diesel is always on my must have list)
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 10:03 AM

With a mid-size station wagen that may need 7-8 liters/ 100kms, you save appr. 1 Euro per 100kms for diesel vs regular gas.
If you already know how many kilometers you will need to drive in Germany, you can get a rough estimate on how much you will save. I doubt that it will be enough to pay for a modest dinner.
Many rental cars are diesel anway. So your chances are not bad to get one once you stated the preference.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

I have car reserved at FRA so it sounds like they may have a decent selection.

RE: Cowboy: the savings goes beyond the price of the fuel. Diesels get considerably better fuel mileage for comparably sized vehicles - that is where the real savings comes into play (in my mind anyway)

Thanks for your insights!
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 10:24 AM

The savings I mentioned are the mileage.
We measure consumption/efficiency in liters per 100kms and not in mpg.

The "mileage" of a modern car using gas is more or less similar to one running on diesel - at least here, where engines are usually smaller.

When I computed it thru a conversion website, 7-8 l/100km equal 30-33 mpg, regardless whether diesel or gas.
Very fuel efficient diesels can use as little as 5 l/100km, as can regular cars when you drive them properly (and not too much in the cities).
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

I see. Thanks for the explanation. I understood the difference betw gas and diesel fuel mileage to be greater. i learn something new everyday!
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Fuel is cheap, who cares anyway! Even if it would be three times as high, people would still drive. Fuel prices anywhere in Europe are peanuts compared to everything else.

I'd never buy anything but a Diesel, those petrol/gas cars are just oversized sewing machines propelled with a highly explosive fuel with no torque at all. Who wants that. Hopefully you don't rent an automatic which ruins it all!

Listen to the sound of a Diesel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68C-r9kSLNE
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Manual tranny is the ONLY way to go. If you ain't rowin' while your drivin', you ain't havin' fun!! Both of my boys (20 and 22 now) learned to drive cars/trucks with manuals - their friends are amazed.... but, that is America!
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 01:21 PM

You'll have fun with the Diesel! Feel the kick. Just don't let them give you a sewing machine instead.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Hope you get one. Here in the US, that's what we drive (old MB and VW diesels) and we got a treat in France a few years back to get a Renault Clio cdi. What a difference. Then the next 2 rentals in Europe were gassers- a Pug 207 and a Lacia. Nothing could be done as we rented from small places and that's all they had.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 02:00 PM

My Clio diesel gives me way better fuel consumption that a petrol engine....definitely worth it. Over my often travelled 800 miles round trip my mpg is nearly 60, so even though diesel is slightly more expensive per litre, the savings are good. And as the price of fuel here in the UK is on the scary side it's a big difference

I always ask for diesel rental cars, but it just depends what they have left.