Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Any tips/precautions for renting a car in England? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-tips-precautions-for-renting-a-car-in-england-699111/)

Anna1013 Apr 22nd, 2007 03:07 PM

Any tips/precautions for renting a car in England?

I've been trying to look up past threads, but I can't seem to find the ones that I had read months ago.

I seem to remember people always talking about precautions to take with a rental car. I think some have mentioned that even before you leave the lot, you should take a rental car agent to look over your car, and to make note of any dings/scratches on the car, and to write down on the contract that they were there before you rented the car - is this correct?

Also, is it difficult to get an agent out to your car and look it over?

We are renting a car overseas for the first time, so I was wondering if we should be careful of any other precautions.

alanRow Apr 22nd, 2007 03:09 PM

It's the same as hiring a car anywhere in the world - including the US. So do what you'd do in the US

janisj Apr 22nd, 2007 03:16 PM

Yes - as alanRows says - one should <u>always</u> no matter where, examine a car before driving off.

You will find that most of the time when renting in England, the agent will walk you out to the car and look it over. But the point is not to rely 100% on what he/she finds but to look it over yourself.

NeoPatrick Apr 22nd, 2007 03:17 PM

Other precautions. Make sure you know what kind of gas to put in the car -- and make sure you know if it isn't diesel what the diesel tanks say.

Usually in the US you go out through a gate and they check your car off, at least that's been my experience. Often in Europe they may send you out to a lot and off you go. When you get to the lot and inspect the car and take notes, you may have to go back in and speak to an agent. If you've noted the scratches, etc. on the form, he is likely to sign it right there without going out to double check.

Anna1013 Apr 22nd, 2007 03:25 PM

Thanks everyone,

Neopatrick,

I didn't understand your comment :

&quot;and make sure you know if it isn't diesel what the diesel tanks say.&quot;

Did you mean that we need to find out if the car takes diesel fuel or not?

NeoPatrick Apr 22nd, 2007 03:44 PM

Geez, what a round about way for me to say what I meant.

What I meant was first to find out if you car is diesel or not, but also make sure you know what the pumps at the stations say on the diesel pumps so you don't accidentally put diesel in a gas car. More than one person has done that.

Hope that's a little clearer. I need another drink.

Anna1013 Apr 22nd, 2007 03:56 PM

Thanks Neo

As in the US, am I right in assuming that we would need to refill the gas tank before we return the car - I'm thinking the rental car sites must have a much higher price for gas.

janisj Apr 22nd, 2007 04:15 PM

Anna1013: You need to ask the agency when you pick up the car. If they give it to you w/ a full tank you probably have to return it full. But sometimes you will get a car w/ less than a full tank and you don't have to return it full.

Some agencies work just like inn the States and some do things a little bit differently. So do what they tell you - I've even picked up cars a few times that were nearly empty and w/ diections to the nearest petrol station.

My last rental - I returned it flat empty (the warning light was on :) ) and that was fine since the car was only 1/2 full when I got it . . . .

Anna1013 Apr 22nd, 2007 04:25 PM

Thanks janisj - I'll be sure to ask upon arrival.

haydeedoll Apr 22nd, 2007 05:17 PM

We haven't left for our trip yet, but I can tell you that closing times has been a probelm for us, just in booking. We've done stupid things, like assuming rental agencies would be open when our trains got in. Only to find most locations close very early on Saturdays, and are closed Sundays...Except for at airports where they seem to be open always.
My lesson learned. Book Cars, Trains, all at the same time :)

Michael Apr 22nd, 2007 08:25 PM

NeoPatrick,

and vice versa.