Any tips for single woman traveling?

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Tina

Any tips for single woman traveling?

Greetings! I will be leaving alone for Europe on 10/10/02 through 10/21/02 and my itinerary is as follows:

-Arrive London Heathrow on Friday 10/11 and plan to spend 2 days before embarking off via train to Heidelberg, Germany for 2 days (my mother was born in Heidelberg Castle when it was a Red Cross Hospital). Then I'm off via train to Barcelona(I will most likely stop somewhere in France on the way)to spend 3 days, then off to San Sebastian via train for 1 day, then off to Paris via train for the balance of time I have left before flying back to the US from Heathrow.

I'm a 37 year old single women traveling alone. I've traveled alone to Mexico City and other big cities and have never been hasseled. I tend to blend in wherever I go and consider myself an "offbeat traveller". I'm fluent in Spanish only. Any tips on lodging and sites will be greatly appreciated. And of course, if anyone wants to hook up with me and share a bottle of wine along the way let me know!

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Yuppers

Tina, be sure to let us know how many e-mails this generated! ;-)

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 03:50 PM
nancy

I spent a month last year in Paris alone (first time other than a previous day trip) and loved it. I will be so interested in hearing how your trip went. If you have questions re staying in Paris, please e-mail me directly. Have a wonderful time.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 08:01 PM
MustBeA

My primary tip is to reconsider your itinerary.

two days in London (the first day you will be in a jet lagged fog), then a train(?) to Heidelberg, then a train to Barcelona, then a train to San Sebastian, on to Paris and back to London. Crisscrossing back and forth across the whole continent to spend a day or two in each place!

You are NUTS, woman!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Ira

No in German is nein.
No in French is non.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Sandra

Tina,

I just came back from a 3-week solo trip to Madrid, Spain. I had a fabulous time, and wondered why on earth I had not done this before (travel by myself, that is). The only bits of advice I have for you are the usual (be mindful of your purse, keep copies of your important documents, avoid dark alleyways,try to blend it, etc. ), and you seem like you've done this before, so you probably should be the one doling out advice! (Traveling by yourself to Mexico City??? Last time I was there, on business, I was harassed to no end by the Latin Lovers who have a thing for redheads).

My only advice for you is go with the flow and have a fantastic time. Bring a blank journal in which to write your thoughts, collect mementos from your travels (postcards, ticket stubs, pressed flowers etc)...oh and keep an eye out for pickpockets in Spain. And of course, make sure you have clean underwear at all times! (wink)

Cheers,
Sandra

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:54 AM
xxx

Sandra - did you even read Tina's post? You spent 3 weeks in Spain - she is using 11 days to visit FIVE countries and London twice. None of your wonderful advice will help Tina at all because she is obviously a troll.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Tina

Thanks for the responses!