Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any tips for booking a trip to Greece and Cairo cheaply?

Old Dec 27th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip for my husband and me to travel to Cairo (3 days), Athens (2 days) and Santorini (2 days) in July 2010. Is there any way we can book this trip other than by booking each flight and each hotel separately? I am trying to keep the costs down. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Robin G
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 11:08 AM

You can try to contact Dolphin-Hellas Travel and Fantasy Travel in Athens to see if they can come up with a way to save you money on the European/Egyptian part of your journey. You should be able to find cheap airfare from the U.S. to Europe by searching the internet for "airfare consolidators".

www.dolphin-hellas.gr

www.fantasytravelofgreece.com
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 01:04 AM

Well, the only option I can think of is to ask a travel agent to organize you a trip. I had travelled to Athens for 3 days and then I flied to Cairo for another 3 days but I had an agent to book everything for me and I had to pay 1890 euros for 2 persons. I don't know what your budget is but I can give you contact information about my agent in order to ask them for any cheap trips. You can tell them your budget and they will find a solution for you, they did at least for me and everything was fine. If it is all right for you, just let me know your e-mail address and I will provide you the information concerning the agency.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 02:44 AM

I answered you on the Africa board! My suggestion was to contact Fantasy Travel, as they were helpful to me during my last Greece (Athens/Santorini) and Istanbul visit a few years ago.

Cairo is fascinating!

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...and-greece.cfm
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 03:16 AM

Check out Aegean Air for flights from Athens to Cairo - apart from Olympic & Air Egypt they are the only companies doing direct flights but the latter do tend to be expensive

Failing that you can try making up your own flights through a third airport like Milan - but this means it's up to you to make the connection

See http://www.whichbudget.com/cheapflights.php?to=CAI
http://www.whichbudget.com/cheapflights.php?to=ATH
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 04:34 AM
J62

Are you trying to book 3-4 separate one way flights? If that's the case you should try using a multi-city itinerary on a travel agency or airline booking website. I like to use www.kayak.com to search for flights.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Look into Go-Today.com

You would need to call them with specifics, as you are going to three different places, but their flight and hotel packages are very well priced.

Here, for example, is 6 night air and hotel package (from NYC) to Athens and Santorini for $1149 (for travel in April or May) INCLUDING air, but excluding airport taxes and fees, and exclusing transfers to/from airport, and excluding air fare from your city to New York: http://go-today.com/site_gtweb/vacat...m=4%2F1%2F2010

As you can see, you have a choice of hotels, depending on price you want to pay. They do not yet have prices for July, but a call to them should get you some information.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your ideas. I am hoping one of the travel agencies can find some sort of package of air and hotel to lower the costs. I can price everything out myself on kayak.com and by checking reservation rates at different hotels. If a travel agency can beat the quotes I find, they get my business.

Is it too early to check air fares and hotel rates now? Is there a better time?
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 06:48 AM
ira

Hi R,

>Is it too early to check air fares and hotel rates now? Is there a better time?

Wait a week.

Many hotels won't book until after New Year's.

Many discount fares don't show up until Jan or Feb.

Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Ira, I will take your advice although I am so psyched about this trip that I can't wait to book it.