Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Any thoughts on these two hotels in Berlin? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-thoughts-on-these-two-hotels-in-berlin-645535/)

Vorkuta Sep 10th, 2006 10:23 AM

Any thoughts on these two hotels in Berlin?

My husband and I will be in Berlin for six nights in October. We have narrowed our choice of hotels down to the following two.

1. Kronprinz (Kronprinzendam 1), at the western end of the Ku'damm.

2. Honigmondgarten Hotel (Invalidenstr.)

What we look for in a hotel is this:

1. Quiet room
2. Ensuite WC and shower

In addition:
A bonus for me is a hotel with atmosphere, that is, built before 1939 (or preferably before 1914). My husband and I are largely indifferent to "extras" such as bars, restaurants, Internet connection, fitness rooms, night clubs and so on. We are both good walkers and happy to use public transportation.

The Kronprinz website stresses that the hotel is quiet, but the map indicates that a major highway and overpass are just metres away. Also, the Hotel does seem rather on the fringe of the main touristy areas in Berlin.

The Honigmond also says that it's quiet, but our guidebook says that Invalidenstr. is busy and moreover that that area is the centre of Berlin's nightlife scene. The location is within walking distance of the museums and galleries that interest my husband the most. The reception desk has offered us a room overlooking the garden, which one imagines would be quiet.

All help gratefully received. We have been reduced to tossing a coin and yet still cannot decide.

Dukey Sep 10th, 2006 12:47 PM

I have been to Berlin several times but haven't stayed in either of those hotels but will top this for you.

harzer Sep 10th, 2006 03:08 PM

I found two reviews on the Net in which the more positive one had this to
say:

"Berlin: Honigmond Garden Hotel: "Berlin's Best Kept Secret!"
Jun 5, 2006: A TripAdvisor Member, Munich, Germany

My experience with this property took place in:
September, 2005

I recommend this hotel for: Young singles, Older travelers, Tourists

Would I stay at this location again: absolutely!
This hotel was recommended to me by a German colleague and it didn't fail to disappoint. Only a 5 minute walk from Invalidenstr. underground station, this hotel doesn't look much from the outside but don't be put off! They have a fabulous court garden, peaceful and relaxing, where you can sit and enjoy breakfast or merely enjoy your surroundings. We asked for one of the "garden rooms", a little row of double rooms with bathroom, situated directly at the side of the garden.
After a busy day sightseeing in Berlin, this hotel is the perfect tonic. Staff are pleasant and courteous. There is also a lounge where you can retire to for a quiet evening drink before heading off for the bright city lights!
N.B. At the time of our visit, credit cards were NOT accepted. Only cash or debit cards (e.g. Switch, Maestro etc.)."

Another report was not so positive, criticising the service and the quality of rooms on the third floor.

Harzer

deena Sep 10th, 2006 03:35 PM

We just stayed in the Honigmond Garden Hotel last month. We stayed in one of the little garden rooms and enjoyed our stay very much. There are other rooms in the hotel but we really liked our room that opened to the garden. (didn't see the otheres) The rooms are not really very large but are comfortably furnished and the bathrooms are an average size. The garden was so nice. There are fountains and a Koi pond. I enjoyed coming back from our busy day to relax in the garden with a soft drink to watch the owner's cats stalk the fish and explore. It was very relaxing. The breakfasts were fine and there is a "secret lounge" with internet access and comfy sofas (you need a room key to access it). The neighborhood is not a fancy one but we felt safe and the subway is a very short walk away. There are also street cars nearby so it is easy to access all of Berlin. You don't hear traffic noises in this hotel. It is far enough away from the street. We would stay there again.

WillTravel Sep 10th, 2006 09:26 PM

We stayed in a different hotel on Invalidenstrasse a few days ago, and found it very convenient. I think I'd choose that location over the Ku'damm. Our room, which overlooked a courtyard, was very quiet.

Vorkuta Sep 11th, 2006 10:31 AM

These replies are very helpful. Many thanks. We've decided to go with the Honigmond Hotel.