Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions on rental cars in France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 05:11 AM
Suzanne

We are going to Provence in a few weeks and need to reserve a car. Any suggestions?

Old May 1st, 2001, 05:13 AM
Rex

www.autoeurope.com <BR>www.its-cars-hotels.com <BR>www.kenwel.com <BR>www.travelocity.com <BR> <BR>A lot of people say (myself included) that the first one might easily be the only one you ever need. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR>

Old May 1st, 2001, 05:30 AM
Jody

Hi , <BR>I just spent a good part of the weekend looking at car rental prices in France. I was going to go with Autoeurope , as it is always getting good reports here on the forums. Someone suggested I try others just to check as they'd gotten a better price at Budget. First try with Avis got good results I think. 7 days, group FRenault Laguna Automatic, airport pick up and drop off at differnt location, CDW ,tax (19.6%!! in france),theft protection included, unlimited mileage for $375.00, about 200.00 cheaper than the other places I trien , up to 300.00 cheaper than some! <BR>Funny the larger group F car was cheaper in the long run with all the stuff that was included.

Old May 1st, 2001, 07:44 AM
mikey

i second jody's recommendation..depending on how many people will be traveling with you and whether you drive an automatic or manual (much cheaper), avis seems to be whole lot cheaper than hertz, travelocity or autoeurope...i think a bmw stick was $40-50/day if i recalled correctly from last year rental; i rented a e-class mercedes for about $90/day..the price on the rental is not the killer, the gas is... <BR> <BR>enjoy your drive in provence..it's really the only way to appreciate southern france.. <BR>

Old May 1st, 2001, 07:53 AM
Capo

Hi Suzanne. I've rented with Autoeurope the past two times I've been in Nice and was very pleased with both their price and service. As I recall, the first time I rented from them, they matched the lowest price I had found elsewhere (though I can't be 100% sure of that), so you may at least want to give that a try.

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:14 AM
John

Suzanne, it's worth looking at Renault's Eurodrive "lease" program if you'll need a car for 17 or more days - usually very competitive, often way cheaper than the big companies, plus your car is fully insured, there's no VAT, and it's a brand new vehicle. http://www.renaultusa.com

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:30 AM
Darlene

How about Auto France? Sounds like Renault's Eurodrive lease plan mentioned by Steve. Has any one used either of these and what where their thoughts?

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:54 AM
John

I think Auto France is the name for the Peugeot version of the Renault program. I thought Citroen had one, too, but I can't find any reference to it.

Old May 1st, 2001, 10:12 AM
StCirq

I've done month-long or longer leases of both Peugots and Renaults. The price for each was the same, or less by a smidgeon, than a month-long lease from AutoEurope (and yes, they'll match prices - but I figured the brand new car made it a better deal anyway). The only drawback is that if you drive the car more than a certain number of kms (I think it was 1,000), you have to take it in to a dealer for its first checkup (at no cost). That wasn't a problem for me, with a base in France and local dealers whose locations I kow, but I imagine it might not be too convenient for someone who is tooling around in unfamiliar territory.