Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for two teens to go out one evening in Paris without adults?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 04:30 AM
mike

Our family of four (2 adults and two teens (16 (girl) & 14 (boy)) will be in Paris in early July. We have never been to Paris before. My wife and I are thinking about attending a concert at St. Chappelle one evening. The kids would prefer an alternative. We are staying near the Montparnasse station. We are not from a big city and, therefore, the kids, although smart and responsible, are not city experienced. Can anyone suggest something that the teens can do without us and also advise how easy and advisable it is to let them do so. I know the experience of doing things alone would be wonderful, just want to be prudent. Thank you for the input.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 04:48 AM
TJ

I'd send them to a movie in the neighborhood, then to a cafe. I know they can see a movie in the States, but seeing one in a big theater in Paris is really a different experience: sugared or salted popcorn (sometimes with roving vendors), bizarre commercials, subtitles. There are plenty of V.O. theaters on Blvd. Montparnasse. Then, they should hit a cafe (Cafe Atelier across from La Coupole gets a young, fun crowd), have a Perrier and people-watch.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 08:38 AM
mike

What a great idea! I float it past the kids. Anybody have any other ideas. Thanks

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 10:23 AM
Christine

Not to send you into a paranoid frenzy, but how street wise are your kids? I would definitely keep your teens as close to the hotel as possible and certainly away from Les Champs-Elysees at night. I was accosted by a group of young men coming up from the Metro even while my 6'5" husband was next to me! A movie sounds like a good idea.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 10:32 AM
Sabrina

I think the Champs-Elysse would be a great place for your teens to hang out. When I was there I saw lots of older teens hanging out and having lots of fun. Plus, if push comes to shove and they're really feeling homesick, there's a McDonalds out there and a Haagen-Daz ice cream store. The girl will LOVE the Sephora makeup store.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 11:16 AM
mike

Christine and Sabrina: Thanks for your comments - Since we are in a new city with a language none of us speak, I would not want them to just wander around without a specific goal in mind. The idea of a movie at a particular theatre and going to a specific cafe gives purpose yet the feeling of independence that I would think they would enjoy (yet give me certain peace of mind). Plus it gives us a place to meet after the concert and the movie. The concert is at 7:15 and I would think it would be over by 10. I'm sure my daughter would love Sephora but my son would not. I would want them to stay together. Thanks for the comments. If anyone has other suggestions please advise, e.g. any walking tours or shows.

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 07:51 PM
tina

How about an organized tour for the kids that night? Are there late tour buses?