Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How can I get my coffee the way I like it in italy?

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 09:57 AM
dln

Hopefully you all know me well enough now to understand that I'm not going to go stomping around Italy yelling for an AMERICAN coffee! But here's the deal. I need a cup of coffee in the morning. This is what I like to drink: about 10 ounces of French roast colored with about 2 ounces of milk. This makes me human in the a.m.

So how do I order coffee to get the closest equivalent to that? Should I get a cappuccino, and if so, do I need to order two of them to get my "big gulp?" Or would a caffe latte be what I want? And do I really need to ask molto caldo to get it hot enough?

Any help to keep me from turning into a hag in the morning in Italy is very appreciated. ~o)

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never solved this. The nearest I get is a Filtered.

[email protected]
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:04 AM
ira

Hi,

I suggest that a latte followed by a cappucino will get you jump started.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:07 AM

Here's the rundown:

caffe - A small cup of very strong coffee, i.e., espresso

caffe Americano - American-style coffee, but stronger

caffe corretto - Coffee "corrected" with a shot of grappa, cognac, or other spirit

caffe freddo - Iced coffee

caffe Hag - Decaffeinated coffee

caffe latte - Hot milk mixed with coffee and served in a glass for breakfast

caffe macchiato - Espresso "stained" with a drop of steamed milk. A small version of a cappuccino

cappuccino - Espresso infused with steamed milk and drunk in the morning, but never, never after lunch or dinner

granitadi di caffe con panne - Iced coffee with whipped cream

Happy sipping!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:09 AM

I suppose I will be slammed for this and I'm a coffee nut too, but I give up my usual when traveling and learn to enjoy a break from convention while still getting my caffein buzz.

Why not experiment for a short time and do as the natives do? Maybe you'll even enjoy the experience. I'm curious if you also try to get the exact type pasta or pizza that you get at home, rather than trying it the way they make it.

But more specifically to your question, you will find that at two places in Rome next door to each other, the same order will get you two different tasting combinations -- just like ordering the same thing at Starbucks and then Coffee Beanery at home. I suppose Cafe Latte will be the closest. However, make sure you never simply ask for "latte" which will get you pure hot milk with no coffee at all!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:14 AM

dln, do try the espresso. I am not a coffee drinker, but loved those quickie espressos. The great part is you get your morning jolt pretty fast...so you can get right back out to sightsee, stroll, shop, whatever!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:20 AM

If you are ordering from a cafe it's really hard to get something that simulates a Starbucks Vente drip. But the good news is that most Italian hotels have breakfast included and that will get you a small pitcher of coffee, very similar to what you're used to... maybe a little stronger, and a second pitcher of lovely steamed milk. And if you ask for seconds they willingly oblige.

That espresso at the bar thing is interesting. I've watched many an Italian men step up, order one, pour in about a quarter cup of sugar, stir and gulp. Then they leave.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:31 AM

Grasshopper, that's what my DH does. It stupifies me.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:42 AM

Grasshopper, that's what I did with my espresso too...I would feel bit run down, run in, shoot it down, then be ready to go!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:42 AM

Statia, it's almost like they are at a bar gulping down a shooter, but without a chaser! It's fun to watch.
But back to Din's questions, I always order Cafe Latte and have always had it served with a pitcher of coffee and of hot milk so you can adjust the strength. I found it wonderful but I'm always on cloud 9 in Italy and tend to think that everything is wonderful.
I'm sure you will find just the right solution for your AM coffee.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:47 AM

The solution: McDonalds! I too MUST have my big mug of regular American coffee, and Mickey Dee's comes through, even in Italy!

I do have a related question. I'm planning on going for an extended period of time. Are Farberware-style electric percolators for sale in Italy? If not, I'm wondering if mine will work with a converter?
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:04 AM

dln ~ Count me in the coffee-loving crowd. I'm happy as a lark to try out new coffees while in Rome, but I MUST HAVE my morning coffee, the way that I like it.

I've thought about either purchasing there one of those coffee pots and heating plates that NYCFoodSnob recommends or ordering a traveling hot water/coffee maker off of the web. Either way, I'll get my java in the morning or any other time that I want.

Btw, when ya leaving?
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:10 AM

I like strong, regular coffee, but also enjoy espresso and go with it "when in Rome".

Cafe "americano" in my experience is watered-down espresso, not at all like regular coffee, and vile, IMO.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:14 AM

I always like the coffee in Paris but have found that elsewhere, a small espresso wakes me up then I can have a caffe or latte after.
I was surprised to discover that I can drink espresso in the late afternoon and still sleep at night!
dln,grasshopper, I have graduated to three spoons of sugar in my coffee, soon I will have coffee flavored sugar in the mornings ~
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:20 AM

Same problem on first trip to Italy. The caffe Americano was horrible so I quickly switched to Cappucino. As other posters have said if you need another jolt of caffeine step into any bar and get a quick shot of espresso - I normally don't care for straight espresso but with a little sugar it wasn't bad. Will definitely give you a buzz.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:22 AM

For me, it's not just consuming coffee in the morning that's important. Coffee is just part of my morning ritual. Because I'm staying on the top floor of a hotel with no elevator, I want a big cuppa in the morning.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Try what I do wherever I travel.

I always take a small travel kettle (a bit underpwered so takes ages to boil, but it's worked with an adaptor in every hotel room I've ever been in in the world).

Add to this a small cafetiere (holds about 2 cups) and a bag of your favourite ground coffee. Buy milk and store it in your hotel fridge, or steal milk from breakfast, and hey presto! Perfect coffee, whenever you want it.

I'm British, but I'm presuming you can also get travelo kettles and small cafetieres wherever you live.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:40 AM

Kate ~ what's a "cafetiere?"
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:41 AM

http://www.showroom2001.com/produits/P19406.htm

Un Cafetiere~
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:45 AM

dln, when I was in Italy this past june, I bought from the supermarket an excellent coffee that was made for the drip coffee pot.. It was delicious, strong, however, it was not so strong like the espresso.. In the morning I like to have a big mug of coffee, and was not satisfied to have just a small demitasse.. Try it at your apartment in Rome. Anyway bring with you your favourite American coffee if you can.
By the way, if you must order it at the bar, just buy 2 cappuccino..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -