Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for Aussies traveling around europe.

Jan 12th, 2001, 12:34 AM
Jaclyn

Hi
I would greatly appreciate some feedback on the best way of touring in europe in July 2001. Starting from London as part of our deal we get two flights for example fly to Spain and fly from Amsderdam back to London. The places we would like to visit include France, Spain, Italy, Venice, Munich, and Amsderdam. From there we would then fo back to london and go to Ireland and Scotland.
If anyone as any ideas on how to go about seeing these places without back tracking and by using our two flights it would be great.
We are open to any suggestions.
Thanks heaps
Jaclyn

Jan 12th, 2001, 04:55 AM
xyz

Who, and or what, is heaps?

Jan 12th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Hans H

Hello !

I guess that heaps means a lot.

A lot depends upon the time you got. The following needs time and if you haven't got it, I would leave out Spain and start in Paris. Otherwise, starting or ending in Spain sounds like a good idea. If you travel by train, you could go up to Paris, then Amsterdam, down the Rhine to Munich, through Switzerland or via Vienna to the north of Italy and Venice, from there to Rome and fly back to London. I would make stops at the Rhine and in Switzerland or Vienna. This would leave only one really long train ride from Spain to Paris, which you could also interrupt to see something in between.

Or you could fly to Spain, fly to Rome, take the route described above to Paris and from there train and ferry to London. A bit more expensive because of the ferry but you would save yourself the long train ride out of Spain.

Jan 13th, 2001, 12:03 AM
Su

Dear fellow aussie,
I would suggest flying into Italy and travelling a 'U' shape through Germany, Amsterdam, Amsterdam, France then flying out of Spain, or doing that route the other way around, starting in Spain. To travel to each new place, prebook couchettes in overnight trains and you'll save by not having to pay for a hotel room on those nights and also not waste your day-times travelling.
Have a great trip mate!

Jan 14th, 2001, 01:10 PM
frank

Avoid backtracking through London & save time & money:
Its possible to fly very cheaply between France, Scotland & Ireland, no need to go to Sco. & Ire. via London when returning from Europe.
Try Ryanair, easyjet, others.
Also easyjet have just started cheap flights from Amsterdam to Edinburgh.(26 each way)

Jan 14th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Tony

Jaclyn.

The hard part of your planned itinerary is including both Spain and Italy, as it is neither an easy journey, or a particularly attractive one around the Med.coast from Spain to Italy, whether by car or train.
I think you should make a decision EITHER Spain or Italy, and plan from there.
Logistically Italy is the easier choice, as it opens a good and direct route through Switzerland, maybe Austria, which is great, Munich, and the Rhine Valley to Amsterdam and/or Paris.
Use your first free flight to either Rome, Venice or Milan, and then a Eurail pass will do the rest. I presume you know that get you big discounts on Eurail when two are travelling togather.

Jan 14th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Tony

Jaclyn..

My last post got posted too quickly - my fault I think.

I was goiong to add that if you want any help with train times or routings, then please e-mail me directly.

For example from Venice to Munich, there are several extremely scenic ways of doing it via either Vienna, Verona and Innsbruck, or Milan and Switzerland, depending on how much you want to see, and how long you have. To really appreciate the places along the way you should allow at least 4/5 days for this section alone - preferrably longer if you have it, even though it can be done in one day, but you would miss an awful lot.

Sound like a good tour coming up.