Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for a romantic beach in Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, WE ARE PLANNING A VERY INTIMATE WEDDING IN GREECE, FOR NEXT YEAR.
NEVER BEEN THERE BEFORE, BUT I AM ALREADY IN LOVE WITH IT.
SO, FOR A WEDDING AT THE BEACH WITH A PRIVATE MINISTER, WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST, IN A BUDGET OF 5000 EUROS FOR THE WHOLE 10 DAYS?
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR THE SUGGESTIONS.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 06:23 AM

Hi, diamaria, and felicitations on your coming wedding!

You will get better assistance on a travel forum if you give the exact desired dates of your trip & wedding. Time of year will alter all costs significantly. Also, you need to share more information about the marriage situation, i.e., country of origin, and are either of you Greek? Do you want to be married by a Greek Orthodox priest? If not, then your license must come from your home country ... there needs to be a translation of it ... lots of paperwork involved. What is meant by private minister? Not many clergymen available outside of Greek Orthodox, you may have to investigate civil officials authorized to officiate. See? It gets complicated!

Also, are you planning to have ANY other people present? A reception or bridal luncheon, dinner? Cake? Professional photographer? Often prospective couples hook up with a wedding-planner to guide them thru the above, but of course that will up the costs. You would need first to choose the island, or mainland beach area, where you want to marry, and then inquire about wedding planners for that isle or area. You do not even say whether that budget of €5,000 is supposed to cover your transportation costs. If so, your remaining funds would be closer to €3,000 for 10 days = €300 per day. In the "bride season", in santorini, you can spend more than that per day just for hotel if choosing a Hotel with a view and a pool in the wedding-favorite area of Oia.

You need to do more homework, and then share more of above. Be aware that it is chancy to plan something as important as a wedding in a place you have never been before, which you cannot visit beforehand, and which you have not researched.

To begin investigating online, you could google "getting Married in Greece". I just did that, and there are many links -- however, a lot of them are for hotels or wedding packagers or planners that want to do it for you for a bunch of money. You may or may not want to hire something like that, but first its best to know the basics, to see if you need that help or not.

Here are the better/less-commercial links I see on Google right now:

ABSOLUTE TOPS - http://livingingreece.gr/2007/05/17/...d-in-greece-2/ succinct, straightforward, covers all the requirements PLUS tips for best results -- written by US citizen living/working in Greece for over a decade. An A+

NEXT -- this one is by a Greece expert, lots of commercial links, but noncmmercial too http://gogreece.about.com/od/wedding...Honeymoons.htm

NEXT -- This is Matt Barrett's comprehensive website about Greece... it gives actual anecdotes, easy to understand. He sometimes tends to over-recommend services by outfits he is close to -- but in this instance, I totally agree with his enthusiasm for Sifnos (lovely beach settings, no crowds during the May-June wedding season, and waaay less costly than Santorini) and Aegean-Thesaurus as a good outfit to consult with
http://www.greecetravel.com/weddings/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=1867679 (a thread by the public, mostly about the complications).

Bottom line: it greatly simplifies things if you are willing to have a simple civil (city hall) marriage at home beforehand for legalities, then have the "memory ceremony" on a beach. If you want the Real Deal on the beach, and with a clergyman, get ready for red tape.

Good luck with your planning and daydreaming!

PS: as a personal add-on, I accidentally ran into a STUNNING venue that is almost unknown (don't tell anyone!!) and would be a fabulous budget deal. Serifos -- on Livadakia Beach, the site is Coralli Bungalows ... for the ceremony, the reception & for lodgings. http://www.thesaurus.gr/hotels/serif..._bungalows.php

In 2006 I landed at the port of Livadi, and trudged over a hill, heading for the beach I had heard was better. Miracle! I encountered a British woman coming FROM that beach and she said, looking for a room right on the beach? Go to Coralli, I'm checkng out, was just at the MOST wonderful wedding there last night. I did so .. and aaah! There are little bungalows just 20 yards off the sand, shaded by trees, a pool, even a little store. In a shrubbery area, there was space for tent-campers but entirely separate & unobtrusive. The beach is Golden sand, no rows of umbrellas, shade comes from lovely tamarisk trees. Only 1 other lodging on the beach, http://www.vacation-greece.com/hotel...ros-vassiliki/ which has a nice taverna (restaurant). I spent 3 idyllic days there... wandering around, walking into port town for dinner, exploring rest of the island. In early june there were only 20-30 people on the long beach at any given time, and a couple of yachts moored offshore to provide scenic backdrop for my photos. I'm sure this may have been "discovered" by now, but before July, it certainly will be much more serene than highly-promoted islands. It is not fancy, no spa, Jacuzzi, Masseurs -- but fancy is not what True Greece is all about.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 06:24 PM

There are so many beautiful beaches and locations in Greece. It will be hard to help without some more specific details. Browse through some travel books to narrow the scope.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:29 AM

How about antiparos? check out this place and ask if they do beach weddings. www.antiparosgreece.com/weddings-greece.html
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 04:44 AM

Hi, Greece is my favorite country and I can recommend you to visit some of the islands for your honeymoon. Santorini and Corfu are my favorite but if you are looking for something really romantic you can visit the island of Folegandros. It is not much popular island and there won't be flocks of tourists to accompany you during honeymoon. You can find more information about the island here http://www.folegandros.com/. Hope you will like the island
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 05:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
www.mykonosgrand.gr This hotel on the island of Mykonos is lovely. Easy to fly from Athens non-stop. Takes just over a half hour. In addition to their large pool, it's easy to walk down to the hotels beach that is secluded. If you considered this hotel, they would help plan your wedding. Good Luck Richard
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:14 PM

And I can mention Saint Andrea Resort on Naoussa,Paros, Emelisse Art Hotel on Fiskardo,Kefalonia and 100s of other places. The point is I am very much against planning to wed in a place you haven't set a foot before, based on third parts opinions. It is a different thing to be a frequent visitor in a destination and have some bond there, or at least have visit a couple of times and know you like it, than just rely on a wedding planner or other people's opinions on peaking your wedding place. Advice you'll get may be well-intended, but different people have different tastes, and you can't be sure what's right for you without researching/exploring by yourself. I absolutely agree with Parosblue you have to narrow it down first, then come back with specific questions. travelerJan provided many good pointers too. Then we may help you narrow it down even further, then you can go on the spot and investigate for yourselves before making up your mind!
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 07:10 AM

WIth those wise words from Mariha, I propose that we take a Pause in our suggestions until the time when or if the original poster comes back to give us further information. No point in us spending time and thought on options that may prove irrelevant.

Ok, bride-to-be, ball is in your court -- we await your feedback!