Reload this Page >

Any specific "must see" ideas for my time in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Dawn

I am going to Italy in late May and while I already have my itinerary planned (i.e. hotels booked), I would love some suggestions for restaurants that you think are a "must eat" or attrations that are a "must do". My itinerary is the following:<BR><BR>Nights 1 and 2 - Milan (Antica Locanda Dei Mercanti)<BR><BR>Nights 3 and 4 - Camogli in the Italian Riveria (Cenobio dei Dogi)<BR><BR>Nights 5 through 8 - Florence (Morandi Alla Crocetta)<BR><BR>Day trip to Siena while in Florence<BR><BR>Nights 9 through 12 - Rome (Santa Chiara)<BR><BR>Nights 13 and 14 - Positano (Hotel Poseidon)<BR><BR>Nights 15 and 16 - Naples (Hotel Paradiso)<BR><BR>With a day trip to Pompeii while in Naples<BR><BR>I welcome all suggestions, Thanks.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Vincenzo

Dawn, my "must eat" for Naples and Positano are Ettore and Donna Rosa.<BR>Ettore, in Naples, is in Via Santa Lucia, one of the finest places of Naples. I think that the pizza of Ettore is one of the best pizza in Naples, so . . . . in the world!<BR>Besides pizza, you eat other several delicious dishes.<BR>Donna Rosa is in a village close to Positano named Montepertuso, on the hill.<BR>Very good the fish dishes and the cakes.<BR>Good dinner, ciao.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Angela

Dawn,<BR> Sorry, even though I've eaten in many of these places, I never remember restaurant names so I can't be of much help there. But I must ask a favor--we are leaning towards booking a room at Morandi alla Crocetta in Sept. and would love to hear your opinions when you return! Thanks,

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Laura

Dawn: We stayed at the Antica Locanda Dei Mercanit last August - a very nice hotel which was very close to the Duomo and fantastic shopping. You've probably already been warned about this, though -- it is pretty hard to find! The owner (I don't remember he name, but she is a former Italian model -- very tall and statuesque) recommended a FANTASTIC place for us to have dinner. The name of it is Nabuco (sp??). If interested, ask the owner and she can direct you to the restaurant. It was a pleasant 15 minute walk from the hotel. The food was very, very good (we had an array of seafood, beef and pasta between the three of us dining that night) and the atmosphere was equally wonderful. We still speak fondly of our waitress, a Romanian woman named Riluca, who was studying to be a fashion designer. We were amazed at the ease with which she switched from speaking Italian to English to Romanian. The service that evening was every bit as good as the food.<BR><BR>You didn't ask about shopping, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth anyway! We LOVED the shopping in Milan. Found great bargains on mens suits and ties. And, though, exhorbidant and cost-prohibitive, we loved just walking through all of the designer fashion house.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Dayle

What a wonderful & well-planned itinerary Dawn! You'll have a great time. We also stayed at the Antica Loconda dei Mercanti & recommend it highly. There is no sign outside, just give your driver the address!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:57 AM
a--z

Excellent itinerary. Eager to hear your opinion on Camogli. Flipping thru Feb issue of Conde Nast travel mag & saw mention of Camogli as a good choice for charming seaside village (versus oft-mentioned Portofino). Only seen a couple folks on this site who've stayed in Camogli. Sounds lovely.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 07:29 AM
tt

topping

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 08:03 AM
kathy

Camogli is wonderful. Nearby Nervi is great also, but I'd avoid Portofino itself. Another "must see" in my opinion, is the Cinque Terre and not that far from Camogli. Riomaggiore has the best gelato in the world. Sounds like a WONDERFUL trip!!